Report: Hawks Players Don't Think RW is Black Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":133e5di8 said:
Seems pretty damn insulting. So, if you are smart, articulate and carry yourself w/some intelligence, you can't be black? :roll:

I promise you that NONE OF THAT has to do with it. The fact that you THINK that's what the problem IS A PROBLEM.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":lq9kmraw said:
SouthSoundHawk":lq9kmraw said:
I'm curious if the idiots making these statements feel the same way about Richard Sherman..

Can't believe there are bonebags that actually think this...especially in Seattle's locker room.

Considering Sherman grew up in Compton, probably not. If you think being articulate is the issue with RW that is racism or at best ignorance.
MISUNDERSTANDING.

BTW...here's why I ask.
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

SonicHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":4m1lvmzq said:
One hurdle in the fight against racism is the PC crowd that is scared to death of the very words black and white. It really is ridiculous. Pussyfooting around such stuff just leads to discomfort. Discomfort leads to misunderstanding and misunderstanding leads to fighting.

I'm white, you're black, I'm glad we got that over with and why was this thought to be a problem in the 1st place?

That's how I've dealt with the situation my entire life. Honesty breeds respect and mutual respect = no racism.

That's nice and all but we're only a generation removed from not even being able to go to school together, I'm glad you're able to get over it so quickly but it doesn't happen that fast everywhere for everyone.

Most of this stems from the black community having an 'us vs them' attitude, a leftover from the racial movement. Build ourselves up, no one can take us down.

How many times has RW tweeted about being pissed about someone being let go? How many times has he assigned blame to another teammate? How many times has he huddled up next to a coach on the sideline and avoided his WR or line?

There are a lot of players who grew up in predominantly black areas, sometimes even poor areas. RW had the benefit of growing up in an upper middle class family. His issues with race were different than other players who grew up in different areas. His approach to things is different than someone who grew up in Compton, like Sherman.

But these kinds of comments are normal for a person like RW. I promise you they have been said by his white friends and his black friends.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":qx6hknet said:
SonicHawk":qx6hknet said:
SouthSoundHawk":qx6hknet said:
I'm curious if the idiots making these statements feel the same way about Richard Sherman..

Can't believe there are bonebags that actually think this...especially in Seattle's locker room.

Considering Sherman grew up in Compton, probably not. If you think being articulate is the issue with RW that is racism or at best ignorance.
Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say shit about race, smarts, compton, or otherwise.

Seems silly to call someone out when your the one fixated on the above. Get off your pedestal.

BTW...here's why I ask.

SO GLAD THIS SITE HAS A BLOCK FEATURE.

I answered your question already.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1m89fp5u said:
SouthSoundHawk":1m89fp5u said:
SonicHawk":1m89fp5u said:
SouthSoundHawk":1m89fp5u said:

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say shit about race, smarts, compton, or otherwise.

Seems silly to call someone out when your the one fixated on the above. Get off your pedestal.

BTW...here's why I ask.

SO GLAD THIS SITE HAS A BLOCK FEATURE.

I answered your question already.
Fair enough, looked like you were caling me racist. No harm, no foul.

AVL

Reaction score
How black does he have to be? Some idiot said the same thing about Griffin a couple of years ago and was shot down in a hurry. Of course he had the balls to put his name to the statement so I credit him for that.

Wilson and his brother went to a mostly white prep school for 13 years. Most of his inner circle that he trust are from that time.

I have no conclusion, except the racial status of the quarterback should be the least of their concerns.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
SOUTHSOUND

Ha. Fair enough :).

I was not calling you racist at all. There have been a lot of comments in this thread that have been said without care and understanding. I have been trying to do my best to keep my composure and correct things.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
AVL":1coo5l60 said:
How black does he have to be? Some idiot said the same thing about Griffin a couple of years ago and was shot down in a hurry. Of course he had the balls to put his name to the statement so I credit him for that.

Wilson and his brother went to a mostly white prep school for 13 years. Most of his inner circle that he trust are from that time.

I have no conclusion, except the racial status of the quarterback should be the least of their concerns.

I don't think it is a concern. I really think these comments were taken way out of intended context (even though in ANY context they are stupid, ignorant things to say).

Cartire

Reaction score
Back on topic. Every show today is talking about this...

Bleacher Report got what they wanted.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SonicHawk":39rzxwad said:
Seahawks1983":39rzxwad said:
SonicHawk":39rzxwad said:
XxXdragonXxX":39rzxwad said:
He's being discriminated against based on his race. How is this not the definition of racism?

Because it's not.

How is saying "you are black therefor you should act a certain way" not racist? That seems like the epitome of racism.

Because racism implies superiority or inferiority. It's like if you went to the store and ordered blue paint and when you got home and began painting and it turned out red. It's not that you don't like red or you think red is inferior, it's just that you expected it to be blue.

It's not racism.

That's a terrible analogy. The article is saying some black players have a negative issue with Wilson not being Black enough; it's implied they don't trust him because of this. It's not like they were hanging out at his locker and were like "wow, I rolled up thinking Russ was a black dude, but he's really straight and white. go figure"... they have a problem with it. It's a bad thing to think, not "gosh, this was supposed to be red but it's blue". THEY DON'T LIKE IT. It's not a misunderstanding. It's racist.

Which is why this article can't be true. Everyone knows that you can only be racist if you're white. Just ask the media. :sarcasm_off:

All sarcasm aside, this is really sad and I believe it's holding black people back. I've literally had black people tell me the definition of racism is white people being racist against blacks, and it's impossible for black people to be racist. Many people really believe this, and if Harvin was distributing this crap, I'm glad he's gone. He's been trouble literally everywhere he's been and playing a race card will do it in a hurry.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
There's so much BS in your response that you don't even deserve any type of rebuttal.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
titan3131":1kvctavd said:
Great opportunity to ignore the noise.

Maybe I'm confused, but when half the players are making statements publicly and on twitter telling us to ignore the noise, isn't that NOT ignoring the noise?

As my buddy Inigo Montoya would said........."I do not think that word means what you think it means."

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
I heard Wilbon and Kornhiser talking about this the other day and forgive me for being ignorant on this sort of thing but what the hell does it mean to not be black enough?

What the heck is that even supposed to mean?

WendellWent

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan":7sw3nkax said:
I heard Wilbon and Kornhiser talking about this the other day and forgive me for being ignorant on this sort of thing but what the hell does it mean to not be black enough?

Ask Sonic, he seems to speak for all of us black folk.

drdiags

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan":5ax5vtit said:

Who really knows, depends on who you talk to. To me, I have seen variations on this concept all my life. To me it can be a spin-off of the field hand vs house slave, where the house slave was considered to be too close to the master and with the comforts afforded them by being a house slave, indifferent to the suffering the field slave endured.

In my time, it was the Uncle Tom or Uppity black that would gather scorn from some in black circles. I would caution those that try to paint all blacks as participating in this behavior/name calling but that probably falls on deaf ears. There have been some doozies in this thread but I think Sonic has the best way to move past them. Don't dignify them with a response.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Jesus LORD @ some of the comments in this damn thread :|

PRIME example of why I take the time to make sure my kids learn TRUE history instead of HIS-STORY.
This is what happens when people, willfully or otherwise, don't know or understand anything about how
things REALLY went down BEFORE or hell, even AFTER that sociopath Christopher Columbus hit the shores
of 'America'.

Read a book.

stizz19

Reaction score
hgwellz12":142ey853 said:
Jesus LORD @ some of the comments in this damn thread :|

PRIME example of why I take the time to make sure my kids learn TRUE history instead of HIS-STORY.
This is what happens when people, willfully or otherwise, don't know or understand anything about how
things REALLY went down BEFORE or hell, even AFTER that sociopath Christopher Columbus hit the shores
of 'America'.

Read a book.
Love the Warren G lyric in your sig haha.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
It's racism and there is nothing in this whole thing that says it's not. Supposedly the other players alluded to in the article expect Wilson to act a certain way because he is a black man. That in it's self indicates stereotyping. Just because it's being said by people of the same race does not mean it can't be racist.

If I, a white man, go to a black man and tell him he should act a certain way because he is black that's racism pure and simple. How could this be different?

Racism comes in many forms there is the obvious and the not so obvious. If it all would just go away that would be fine with me.

HawkWow

Reaction score
brimsalabim":qv1stbje said:
FWIW Stephen A Smith went off on this subject this morning on a Mike & Mike segment. He also said that he gets accused of the same almost every time he takes a position that is not popular with some in the black community. He pointed out that Tiger Woods, Muhammad Ali, and Michael Jordon among others have been accused of the same so Russell is in pretty good company,

Smith is such a dumbass, it would be best if he just stayed out of it. Ali accused of not being black enough? That's nuts. Ali made clear he was pro-black at every opportunity. He constantly badgered Frazier, saying he was a "puppet for the white man", calling him "house___" and "Uncle___" almost non-stop over many years and 3 fights. Very hurtful to Frazier as he was raised in a share cropper's family, not long removed for slavery. Ali did similar with foreman in Zaire in effort to gain popularity (and an advantage) for the rumble in the jungle.

He also changed his name because Cassius was his "slave name". In refusing to fight in Nam, he commented "No Vietnamese ever called me N _____". which I think is one of the greatest quotes of all time. Ali was the "black superman" with a song by that title made in tribute to him. If Smith thinks Ali wasn't "black enough", then he missed the point entirely believing this really was about skin tone.

Woods is Half Thai. I've interviewed Tiger Woods twice (Grand slam on Kauai) and surprisingly he was very much into Thai culture. His mom is VERY Thai and there is no more of a xenophobic race on the planet than the Thais.

I am sure his up-bringing included the teachings of Buddha and speaking with both he and his mom, I got the sense he was closer to her than he was to his dad. So maybe Woods isn't "black enough" for some, because he more identifies with an entirely different culture, embracing that culture's blood that also runs through his veins. Still, somewhere a Thai is saying right now...Woods isn't Thai enough.

Going forward, I am just going to totally disregard such slanderous, misplaced talk (period) and especially when directed towards someone of mixed blood. It's just so damn stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.