Remember when you watched those dynastys as a kid?

chris98251

Reaction score
Vikings under Bud Grant and the Bills under Levy had Dynasty's, just no rings, Bills there 4 or 5 times and the Vikings 4 times maybe. They just picked a time to be good when the Cowboys, Steelers and Raiders and 49ers were in Dynasty mode as well.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
How the Hawks replace Marshawn's production is going to play a huge part in whether our team can maintain this level of excellence over a 5-7 year period, Pussy Harvin was an attempt at expanding the passing game to balance out the offense that obviously failed. I think our team still goes in that direction and will do so successfully (P-Rich?).

jkitsune

Reaction score
A repeat champion happens about once a decade, and Seattle teams never have this kind of success, so regardless of whether we pull it off, I'm definitely enjoying every moment. It's fun to dream about the possibility of a dynasty (in my arbitrary definition, a dynasty requires winning 3 championships in a short period of time. Maybe within 6 years? 7? This isn't particularly concrete) like the Pats, Cowboys, Niners, Steelers, and Packers, but we're a ways from that just yet.

As an aside, am I the only one that doesn't see the point of defaulting to derogatory nicknames for players who have no current impact on the team? Does calling Percy Harvin "Pussy Harvni" improve the quality of discussion? Solidify your point? Seem clever?

drdiags

Reaction score
My first actual following of the NFL started in 1965 when the Bears drafted Sayers and Butkus. The Steelers were perennial losers back then and Lombardi's Packers were in their glory. They were the gold standard back then. It was cool seeing the evolution of the Steelers, they had some great draft picks early to setup their dynasty.

The Cowboys were always the bridesmaid to the Packers and were thought unable to get past the Packers (ala Ice Bowl I). They also had a nice rise from the background.

The Packers had some bad boys on defense, loved their DBs and Nitschke was an animal that rivaled Butkus as a meat-head that could destroy you.

Vikings had a great defense but their offense make the Seahawks seem like they throw too much. Since Carroll looked up to Grant, you can see some of Bud's influence on him. Kapp was an awkward QB but a gamer. Tarkenton was more deadly but still it was the offense that usually let them down in the Superbowls.

BTW, I loved the KC Chiefs as well back then because of the athletes Stram had on that team. They were a little unique with their offense and Dawson wasn't too bad. Otis Taylor, a man among boys.

Great times watching football over the years. And yeah, I liked that team that Walsh put together down in the Bay area. Those DBs and other talent they drafted was amazing to me. Before then it was mainly Brodie and Gene Washington to me when I thought of them. But once Walsh got on the scene, that was a nice run.

I really hope our fans are right and this is a chance for the organization to make their mark.

evergreen

Reaction score
pehawk":1otqwy8n said:
Since day one I've related this Seahawks team to the 90's Cowboys. Like those Cowboys teams, this team came up and was created together. Both of those teams we're built from the ground up, via a hard reboot. Both we're young when they got their 1st Lombardi. Wilson is a fairly good match to Aikman, personality and drive wise. Carroll and Jimmy each brought a program feel to their squads.

Only thing missing is a power play by Pete, pissing off Allen, and Urban Meyer coming in to procure an easy title (Urban Meyer equals Switzer).
The similarities have been obvious for a couple of years. What if we get a rematch with Denver too? Just like they did with Buffalo. That team was young and super talented at the right positions on each side of the ball. Like us, they had to deal with a lot of competition in GB and 49ers. Then they lose the coach and it kinda fell apart. Goes to show you how important it is to keep everyone together...

olyfan63

Reaction score
jkitsune":14x0exx4 said:
As an aside, am I the only one that doesn't see the point of defaulting to derogatory nicknames for players who have no current impact on the team? Does calling Percy Harvin "Pussy Harvni" improve the quality of discussion? Solidify your point? Seem clever?

Actually, I think it does. I prefer Pussy No-Heartvin, though.

And I've pointed out and described in some posts that Harvin has all the signs and history of Borderline Personality Disorder with a side helping of Sociopath, and expressed in detail how things went down and why, in terms of his tenure.

Seeing his name caricatured like that helps remind all of us what a sick, distasteful, lazy, self-centered, egotistical fool Harvin is, and how enough signs were there up front, but most of us ignored them, because we saw what we wanted to see, made excuses for him, failed to exercise critical thinking. Wait, us fans are just fans; actually it was Pete that did this, but he brought the fans along for a ride too. Pete got suckered in by Harvin, thinking he had another Bruce Irvin unique athletic talent reclamation project.

For almost any other player, I would agree with you. Pet names like "Clipboard Jesus" are fun and cool and not really derogatory, just descriptive. Spazzelbeck, Hasselsack, well, those were sometimes simply "accurate". However, Harvin is simply a repulsive human being, so a caricature name reference feels more like a helpful reminder than a slam.

Plus, Harvin uniquely conducted himself as a big-time PUSSY as far as NFL players go. The way he held out for a second Dr., kept going 'til he found one who said what he wanted said, then milked the "injury" as long as he possibly could--well, people who knew him from his Vikings time told us he would do that. We didn't want to believe them. They were right. And Pussy is simply an accurate, descriptive name for his behavior as a Seahawk.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":1lq76dba said:
jkitsune":1lq76dba said:

And I've pointed out and described in some posts that Harvin has all the signs and history of Borderline Personality Disorder with a side helping of Sociopath, and expressed in detail how things went down and why, in terms of his tenure.

Seeing his name caricatured like that helps remind all of us what a sick, distasteful, lazy, self-centered, egotistical fool Harvin is, and how enough signs were there up front, but most of us ignored them, because we saw what we wanted to see, made excuses for him, failed to exercise critical thinking. Wait, us fans are just fans; actually it was Pete that did this, but he brought the fans along for a ride too. Pete got suckered in by Harvin, thinking he had another Bruce Irvin unique athletic talent reclamation project.

For almost any other player, I would agree with you. Pet names like "Clipboard Jesus" are fun and cool and not really derogatory, just descriptive. Spazzelbeck, Hasselsack, well, those were sometimes simply "accurate". However, Harvin is simply a repulsive human being, so a caricature name reference feels more like a helpful reminder than a slam.

Plus, Harvin uniquely conducted himself as a big-time PUSSY as far as NFL players go. The way he held out for a second Dr., kept going 'til he found one who said what he wanted said, then milked the "injury" as long as he possibly could--well, people who knew him from his Vikings time told us he would do that. We didn't want to believe them. They were right. And Pussy is simply an accurate, descriptive name for his behavior as a Seahawk.

Meh, I liken it to kids making fun of someone on a playground.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
name calling diminishes the caller.

Has the definition of what a dynasty is changed now that the cap makes retaining players difficult? How many of those Packers of the 60's, Steelers of the 70's played for no other team?

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2yrub2d5 said:
For me it was Pittsburgh in the seventies. They had some epic games vs Oakland. There was a short Miami dynasty in there right before it. And Dallas was always good. But Pittsburgh was the TEAM.

Then it was the 49ers. They were fun to watch.

Then the Cowboys had a bit of a dynasty, interrupted by a fantastic Redskins team.

Even Buffalo had it's dynasty. They just didn't get a Lombardi to show for it. Sorta like the Vikings.

And now it's OUR turn. Instead of watching Pittsburgh, SF or Dallas, we get to watch our Hawks. Those other guys didn't win every year, but they were in it every year for a good 4-6 years. We're in our third year and who thinks we won't be a playoff team next year too?

It's the best of times and we should appreciate it because it's rare. Whether we repeat or not, this is a great time to be a Hawk fan.

Good point. The Seahawks are where every team and fanbase wants to be right now. Enjoy being in the moment.

As a Panther fan, I feel like they are on the right track but obviously a year or two out from being that complete of a team.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
olyfan63":1p8hrwev said:
jkitsune":1p8hrwev said:

Thank you oly. Said waaaaay better than I could. Dude played Pete, the franchise and by extension us fans. I had huge hopes for his role and the expansion of the passing game as did Pete and Co. When it comes to this guy for me it's warranted. Bottom line, when a guy refuses to enter a game for a reason outside of injury, that's the absolute worst sin for any player on any team in any sport.

And yes, I know using the term "pussy" is basically only assuaging my own butthurt over his treatment of my team. But it still feels good when I type it.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Sterlinghawk":pw9tlvy8 said:
For me, the benchmark is the seventies Steelers. As a Raider fan from the "sea of hands" play when I was 8 to the day crazy Al traded Stabler (fellow crafty lefty) those Steeler teams made me suffer. They imposed their will on everyone and were undefeated in 4 Superbowls. I Hated them. (Raiders did beat them the year of their touted "best" team in '76 for the trip to and victory in SB XI)

Until a team wins four Superbowls without losing one within its dynasty run, I will maintain the " Steel Curtain " and Bradshaw's boys were the best dynasty.

I BELIEVE the " Legion of Boom " and Wilson's warriors are of the caliber to pull this off.

Thank you football gods

:179417:
That's exactly how I feel. That was the same team, not the same franchise, unlike New England, which won 4 of 6 SB's. Fortunately for me, I was a Steeler fan back then and hated the Raiders. Now, of course, I can't stand the Stealers. But Pittsburgh of the 70's and Green Bay of the 60's and begrudgingly Dallas of the 90's were dynasties. 49ers too 4 of 9 years.

olyfan63

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1fq23ix2 said:
Thank you oly. Said waaaaay better than I could. Dude played Pete, the franchise and by extension us fans. I had huge hopes for his role and the expansion of the passing game as did Pete and Co. When it comes to this guy for me it's warranted. Bottom line, when a guy refuses to enter a game for a reason outside of injury, that's the absolute worst sin for any player on any team in any sport.

And yes, I know using the term "pussy" is basically only assuaging my own butthurt over his treatment of my team. But it still feels good when I type it.

Pete and the Seahawks couldn't possibly have been more accommodating. You could see the frustration in Pete's body language at pressers last year when asked when Harvin would be ready.

I recognize Harvin as what some call a "High Conflict Person" HCP, and his act smacks of Borderline Personality Disorder with a side of Sociopath, a "flavor" of HCP. They don't change. They're not reachable. When I saw multiple articles referring to team members around Harvin saying they were always "walking on eggshells" around him, that was a very strong indication.

We were played. Pete, especially, was played. I guarantee he got an excellent education in this and will never be fooled again by a Borderline or Narcissist (individual with one of those personality disorders). In fact I bet Pete and John have probably added some sort of screening for "Cluster B" personality disorders, being alert for the characteristics, to the Seahawks player evaluation process. The Seahawks already highly favor guys who were selected captains of their High School and College teams. If they had examined Harvin's background with this set of criteria, no way do they pull the trigger on Harvin; the signs are clear, but only in hindsight, after "getting an education".

To me, occasionally referring to Harvin by that name anchors the memory of WHAT we were dealing with, and is a reminder to recognize the patterns, and take action before things spiral totally out of control. Guys who have had a "High Conflict" divorce, are most often dealing with an HCP on the ex's side, either the ex herself, or one of her attorneys. (Usually its a Narcissist or Borderline PD with a side of Sociopath.) If you recognize the pattern and stop making excuses for her, you can research and find information and make much more informed choices going forward. This is exactly what Pete and the Seahawks finally did, and dumped Harvin like a hot potato.

I pretty much agree with things others said about name-calling, in general. It's just that I make an explicit exception for HCPs, which I acknowledge is largely based on my own personal experience with them, in the specific form of Borderline/Narcissist Sociopaths. These include: An ex-fiancee with BPD+Sociopath; my ex-wife's NPD+Sociopath divorce attorney; my Wicked Stepmother, a BPD (but with less sociopathy than others); the BPD ex-husband of a girlfriend, who beat her to a pulp, 40+ whacks with a baseball bat when she tried to leave him, and then was clever enough to avoid criminal charges, AND got custody of their 2 kids because she was incapacitated for 18 months after the attack. Unbelievable but true. Pierce County. He did this in an episode of "toddler rage" that is highly similar to Harvin's incidents, punching Golden Tate, and grabbing his position coach by the throat. I bet there are many more unreported incidents involving Harvin.

Now that Pete and John have added this psychological screening for HCP/BPD/NPD to their player evaluation process (I'm certain they have, post-Harvin-fiasco) it makes the Seahawks that much more likely to become a dynasty we talk about years from now, with multiple Super Bowl rings.

jkitsune

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1p0o8ulb said:

As long as we're both clear about what purpose it serves. Percy is barely even worth the effort it takes to feel the vitriol.

Edit: Stacked quoting got a bit bizarre there.