Relocation

RedAlice

Reaction score
I agree with all you wrote, RamsFan128.

Here are some updates for any of you who are interested in reading more about the relocation status.

Kroenke, Spanos and Davis met with the NFL and the three involved committees yesterday - Stadium Committee, Finance Committee and LA Committee. They stayed late and then cancelled today's meetings - it was reported they felt they had enough information to make a decision next week in Houston.

Obviously, Kroenk's relocation proposal that is a full on scathing indictment of St. Louis has created a stir. The Mayor of StL has written a letter to Goodell, and supposedly the StL task force is working on one too.
---

Vinny B gives some clarity on his opinion of the situation here, probably one of the more interesting articles - so I will quote that one here and then just add in links to everything else.

One of the great games of poker heads to a final hand

New York – A little less than one week before the land underneath the National Football League shakes mightily and alters the Los Angeles sports landscape forever, the final hand in one of the greatest games of poker to ever come down the pike will play out in a Houston ballroom.

The question is, will it come to a quick and sudden finish or drag deep into the Texas night?

And perhaps even beyond?

All of which depends on the NFL acting decisively and/or the will,discipline and flexibility of St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke and San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders owners Dean Spanos and Mark Davis.

A quick finish would require the NFL's 32 owners decisively stepping up and delivering the 24 necessary votes to approve the Chargers and Raiders relocation bids to the stadium they are jointly proposing in Carson.

Or, the 24 votes needed to approve the Rams relocation bid to Inglewood.

Compounding the issue is Kroenke has some powerful NFL owners in his corner. Cowboys, Eagles and Dolphins owners Jerry Jones, Jeffrey Lurie and Steve Ross among them. They aren't just powerful, they are vocal in their support of Kroenke's Los Angeles vision.

The Rams don't appear to have the votes to win outright, but perhaps enough to block the Chargers and Raiders Carson bid.

If so, it sets up an epic poker hand.

http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/2016/01/ ... inal-hand/

I posted some excerpts....he gives more info in the article.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Links for more items based on yesterday's meeting in case you want to read more....

Jason Cole ✔@JasonColeBR
Insider Buzz: Momentum Building for #Rams & #Chargers LA Move at NFL Owners Meeting http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2605 ... art-top-16 … via @bleacherreport

----

Pretty good and comprehensive look at the situation from a StL writer, David Hunn -

St. Louis to Kroenke: You're 'preposterous'

ST. LOUIS • Football fans and area officials alike blasted St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke on Wednesday, calling his scathing National Football League relocation proposal a “pot shot” at the region, and some of his facts “preposterous.”

“Our fans support their professional and amateur teams,” said Gov. Jay Nixon, visiting the region for an unrelated news conference. “Especially ones that win.”

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... 90533.html

---

StL Mayor's letter to Goodell

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... 34_001.pdf

---

Ramfan128

Reaction score
RedAlice":18l1mcms said:
Links for more items based on yesterday's meeting in case you want to read more....

Jason Cole ✔@JasonColeBR
Insider Buzz: Momentum Building for #Rams & #Chargers LA Move at NFL Owners Meeting http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2605 ... art-top-16 … via @bleacherreport

----

Pretty good and comprehensive look at the situation from a StL writer, David Hunn -

St. Louis to Kroenke: You're 'preposterous'

ST. LOUIS • Football fans and area officials alike blasted St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke on Wednesday, calling his scathing National Football League relocation proposal a “pot shot” at the region, and some of his facts “preposterous.”

“Our fans support their professional and amateur teams,” said Gov. Jay Nixon, visiting the region for an unrelated news conference. “Especially ones that win.”

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... 90533.html

---

StL Mayor's letter to Goodell

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... 34_001.pdf

---

That letter is a good read, and probably has some valid points.

But it was a mistake IMO to say that St. Louis fans will support their teams if they "win more than they lose". When a team moves, or is created, there is no obligation that they need to win. In fact, by that assertion, half the fanbases in the NFL are excused from attending games. Half the teams in the NFL posted losing records. 3 posted 8-8 records. Only 13 had winning records.

All pro sports leagues are set up for roughly half the teams to finish with losing records - and yet, all pro sports leagues expect to make money on all their teams.

Erebus

Reaction score
I hate seeing teams leave their city. However, I would like to see the Rams move back to Los Angeles because they spent 49 years there, so they surely had way more life-long fans there than they do in St. Louis. Also, like any other Seahawks fan, I'd like to remove an annual 10 AM road game.

I think it would be a travesty for the Chargers to move. If they do move, either the name Chargers should stay in San Diego, or perhaps they can become the Southern California Chargers so they can try to maintain much of their San Diego fanbase. If I were a Chargers fan in San Diego, I don't know how I would feel about that, but it would be better than rooting for the Los Angeles Chargers.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Osprey":34b18fyn said:
Seahawk Sailor":34b18fyn said:
I'd love to see the Rams back in L.A. where they were originally.
Just seems appropriate to me.

Cleveland actually, franchise movement is nothing new. Rams back in LA would be great from a travel perspective.

Chargers / Raiders combo scares me a bit due to the potential for conference realignment.

Well yeah, but I wasn't really counting the leather helmet era.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Erebus":1vcs59va said:
I think it would be a travesty for the Chargers to move. If they do move, either the name Chargers should stay in San Diego, or perhaps they can become the Southern California Chargers so they can try to maintain much of their San Diego fanbase. If I were a Chargers fan in San Diego, I don't know how I would feel about that, but it would be better than rooting for the Los Angeles Chargers.
You do know that the Chargers actually started in LA before moving to San Diego, right?

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I have heard (I think Clayton said it) that the Chargers have said they won't share a stadium with the Rams in Inglewood. Anyone know why they are against that?

RedAlice

Reaction score
HawkGA":2x512jvp said:
I have heard (I think Clayton said it) that the Chargers have said they won't share a stadium with the Rams in Inglewood. Anyone know why they are against that?

This is the issue.

Reason is Spanos is a little puppy.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
What does it mean to be a little puppy? Are you sure you don't mean female dog?

I think in the same interview with Clayton he said something about Kroenke just needing to sweeten the deal to get Spanos to agree. Thought that seemed pretty crappy. Spanos would basically be handed a new stadium but get IIRCC a majority of some of the revenues.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Yet more information on the three franchises eyeing the Los Angeles market in this CNN Money article. It almost casts some doubt on whether any team will move at all despite the six-member relocation committee tasked with identifying which team(s) should be allowed to move:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/08/news/nf ... -stack-dom

Excerpts:

Early last year, conventional wisdom among NFL insiders was that the St. Louis Rams were best-positioned to make the move to Los Angeles. But that has changed in recent months, for several reasons, and now the San Diego Chargers look to have the edge.
"In the spring, the Inglewood proposal was head and shoulders above Carson," said Marc Ganis, the Chicago-based sports marketing consultant. "In recent months, the gap has closed considerably, and many believe Carson is above Inglewood."
But Rams owner Stan Kroenke has his own leverage. While not as popular as Spanos, his money and his business acumen are widely respected. There is little doubt among those involved that Kroenke could amass the nine votes needed to block the other teams from moving to Los Angeles if he wanted to do so.
...the Chargers and the Rams would move to Los Angeles, and the NFL would work with Davis to organize a sale of the Raiders to another owner -- perhaps a tech mogul in Silicon Valley.
Whatever the case, the team or teams that do not come to Los Angeles will need to be rewarded in some fashion -- extra money from the group fund, a new stadium, the right to host special events like Super Bowls and drafts, etc.
The final option is that no team will move to Los Angeles, because the proposal will fail to satisfy all parties -- a result that would disappoint almost every member of the league.

RedAlice

Reaction score
HawkGA":3l2fetf3 said:
What does it mean to be a little puppy? Are you sure you don't mean female dog?

I think in the same interview with Clayton he said something about Kroenke just needing to sweeten the deal to get Spanos to agree. Thought that seemed pretty crappy. Spanos would basically be handed a new stadium but get IIRCC a majority of some of the revenues.

K has made an initial offer, I am sure they are working on some kinda deal this weekend before the meeting/vote on Tuesday.

Spanos is playing his cards the best he can. I would like to see Chargers stay in San Diego, but it is looking like an Inglewood deal will be worked out and Raiders will stay in Oakland.

oh and....I use puppy or kitty for the other words that would get me banned. You can decipher how you wish.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SeatownJay":33techpp said:
Erebus":33techpp said:
You do know that the Chargers actually started in LA before moving to San Diego, right?
One year, 1960 (the first year of the AFL).

I have a feeling Kroenke's moving the Rams whether he gets 'approval' or not. If he doesn't get get it he'll battle the NFL in court.

RedAlice

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1x5sqp3f said:
SeatownJay":1x5sqp3f said:
Erebus":1x5sqp3f said:

I have a feeling Kroenke's moving the Rams whether he gets 'approval' or not. If he doesn't get get it he'll battle the NFL in court.

Looks that way. NFL can't tell him not to build a stadium for the World Cup. :thirishdrinkers:

Carson is a toxic waste site that has to remediate before it can build a stadium....so, if it's purely a stadium issue - Stan can just build his and then see if the NFL wants his team there. Carson cannot build immediately.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RedAlice":42t3qwat said:
hawksfansinceday1":42t3qwat said:
SeatownJay":42t3qwat said:
Erebus":42t3qwat said:

Looks that way. NFL can't tell him not to build a stadium for the World Cup. :thirishdrinkers:

Carson is a toxic waste site that has to remediate before it can build a stadium....so, if it's purely a stadium issue - Stan can just build his and then see if the NFL wants his team there. Carson cannot build immediately.
Yeah I do believe they'll be the Los Angeles Rams in 2016.

RedAlice

Reaction score
The vote is Tuesday / Wednesday.

It's hard not to be excited/hopeful - but, since nothing is known yet it could also end up Rams stay in StL. No one knows yet.

Intense emotions for Rams fans right now.

My guy just texted me: got to get ur bus

I so hope so! Plus, I owe many of you a round of drinks in Seattle if Rams come home.

minormillikin

Reaction score
For whatever team(s) moves to LA, where will they play in 2016? Rose Bowl? Just curious...

Erebus

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1m2h57j7 said:
Erebus":1m2h57j7 said:

Yes, but how many Milwaukee Brewer fans are there in Seattle just because of the Pilots? One year doesn't mean anything and isn't enough to build a fan base.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
minormillikin":3vhl41r6 said:
For whatever team(s) moves to LA, where will they play in 2016? Rose Bowl? Just curious...

I think somebody said they would play at UCLA's stadium. Which I guess is the Rose Bowl.

RedAlice

Reaction score
HawkGA":12knnscc said:
minormillikin":12knnscc said:

I think somebody said they would play at UCLA's stadium. Which I guess is the Rose Bowl.

They will play at the Coloseum (UCLA). They have said one NFL team can play there.

The Rose Bowl (USC) declined to have an NFL team as they want a big concert weekend instead. I'm sure that can change.

For pure rumor - UCLA is said to maybe have a deal worked out w Rams for some $ towards their renovations. Rams play there until 2019, then they do the renovations and possibly play at the Rams new stadium during them. Pure speculation and rumor.

Latest posts