Ref told Newton "you're not old enough" to get late hit call

canfan

Reaction score
Leave that shit on the field Cam! He should have talked it out with the ref - not run to the press. Good luck getting favorable calls in the future Superman! :177692:

canfan

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":q2wm8u5t said:
The league protects its investments. (Which is why Brady is still playing and still a HOF lock.)
And the NFL clearly does not consider Newton part of the club. Runner or not, he still cannot be hit late; it's a personal foul behind the line or down field.

Think about last year's game against the Cowboys. Wagner hit Romo like a ton of bricks after the ball was passed. I was expecting a flag, but the explanation was that Romo was scrambling outside of the pocket and was fair game. Maybe Cam should quit whining for calls and read the rulebook?

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I just watched the All-22 and can say definitively that the hit was not late at all.

He actually makes contact with him while the ball is still in his hands:
26LvkSo

He then follows though and shoves Newton out of bounds, which Newton was obviously upset about. But it was still a football play . . . no penalty was deserved there, I don't think. I can understand why the ref may have been snarky about the complaining on that play.

I wonder whether Newton thought this rule might apply:
UNNECESSARY ACTS AGAINST PASSER
(2) A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as “stuffing” a
passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the
ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation
provided
for in (1) above. When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after
throwing a pass), a defensive player must notunnecessarily or violently throw him down and land on
top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap
up or cradle the passer with the defensive player’s arms.
http://www.nfl.com/static/content/publi ... onduct.pdf

AnguishedInsecureBackswimmer

Anyway, I'm glad a penalty was not called for that shove after the pass.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2nfgexs0 said:
I just watched the All-22 and can say definitively that the hit was not late at all.

He actually makes contact with him while the ball is still in his hands:
26LvkSo

He then follows though and shoves Newton out of bounds, which Newton was obviously upset about. But it was still a football play . . . no penalty was deserved there, I don't think. I can understand why the ref may have been snarky about the complaining on that play.

I wonder whether Newton thought this rule might apply:
UNNECESSARY ACTS AGAINST PASSER
(2) A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as “stuffing” a
passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the
ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation
provided
for in (1) above. When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after
throwing a pass), a defensive player must notunnecessarily or violently throw him down and land on
top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap
up or cradle the passer with the defensive player’s arms.
http://www.nfl.com/static/content/publi ... onduct.pdf

AnguishedInsecureBackswimmer

Anyway, I'm glad a penalty was not called for that shove after the pass.

After seeing this, I now completely disagree with what Hochules said. He should have said "you're a god damn pussy".

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I retract everything I just said. (Except that the NFL is protecting Brady since that is still true.)

That hit is...just sad.

hawk45

Reaction score
253hawk":2w0lb7w0 said:
If you're gonna flop like a soccer player, you don't deserve that call to begin with.

Offsides2

That is the worst thing I have ever seen in the NFL. Only thing comparable is maybe the flops by punters when their toes are grazed.