Random Thoughts™ on the Saints playoff game

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Uncle Si":ivrcxn3d said:
Yeah you're right... Its loser outlook to have a bit of perspective on sports. That's the failure

Go on though. Tell us what winning is.

Well, the perspective I have is that even if they lose, I still have a family and a job and actual real life to attend to. Are you talking about that perspective? Or are you just lecturing people on the internet because you think you have some sort of superior outlook on fandom?

Oh, that second one? Well then, you can go ahead and shove it. Don't tell me or anyone else what sort of expectations to have as part of their fandom because really, there is no right answer, even if you are pompous enough to think that you have one.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Look smelly...I want to win as much as you. I guarantee that. Last championship I saw was the 78 Sonics... I just don't want to lose perspective of how great the journey is

plyka

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2ymwiruq said:
I'll add my own random thought if that's allowed:

Count me in the minuscule "do not pay Tate" group. Tate's disappearing act in crucial games is wearing really thin. Dude was useless once Harvin got hurt. He is not worth the $6+ million per year that someone is going to pay him. Let's get a WR with some SIZE. Tate has to have a better WR than he is on the field with him to truly be effective.

I'm most likely the only one that agrees with you on this board. Comparing Percy with Tate is like comparing cam newton with Keith price the UW QB. They are just not in the same planet. Percy is a #1 WR while Tate is a #2 or #3. I think Baldwin is superior or at least equivalent.

Tate is just not worth big money. He is easily replaceable and too similar with Percy and even Baldwin when it comes to style.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
I have to be honest with you, I took this journey in '05 and it sucked. No one remembers '05 completely fondly because of what happened at the end of it. Or '96 for the Sonics fans out there. Or '01 for the Mariners fans out there. Losing sucks whether it comes in the regular season or in the playoffs. I am tired of it. I want a championship.

I wasn't alive for '78, so I haven't seen a championship winning team ever. It's beyond old.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":14fsk48h said:
I have to be honest with you, I took this journey in '05 and it sucked. No one remembers '05 completely fondly because of what happened at the end of it. Or '96 for the Sonics fans out there. Or '01 for the Mariners fans out there. Losing sucks whether it comes in the regular season or in the playoffs. I am tired of it. I want a championship.

I wasn't alive for '78, so I haven't seen a championship winning team ever. It's beyond old.

Fair enough. Was emotionally invested in all of those and remember them well...(as I did Plummers Rose Bowl) But I can remember lots of great things about those seasons as I will with this one.

This was the game I was really worried about.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3fwu4p2o said:
Gotta agree with most of what you said Kearly. Crazy breaks today all seemed to favor the Saints and we still won, which is great. However, the offense has just not been the same since we played the Saints the first time. Russell has been very inconsistent and the WRs have been unspectacular. I really hope that Percy can play next week or else we will be in trouble as the offense has become a HUGE liability.

Listening to Russell's post game presser, one thing really bothered me. One reported directly asked him about the 3 or 4 slant passes that he missed on and Russell did say they were on him, but also said that they were "no big deal" in the end. Sorry, but they were a huge deal! They all came on 3 and short to medium distances. They were huge plays Russell, you gotta convert those!

Should he have started whipping himself with his own belt?

plyka

Reaction score
BlueOne":v3tbowna said:
zifnab32":v3tbowna said:
MissoulaHawkFan":v3tbowna said:
ivotuk":v3tbowna said:
The non fumble was legit and was why Pete didn't challenge.
Ummmm, not sure how that wasn't a fumble, unless it was ruled he got pushed to the ground by a hawk player before he got back up and fumbled BEFORE his knee hit...

Got touched by a DL and his elbow hit the ground prior to the hit that caused the fumble, he was down.

That is what the ref rules, which is why he blew the whistle prior to the Seahawks recovering the ball and thus the play was dead and unchallengable. That said, I've watched the replay and I'm pretty sure the call was incorrect.

The nfl changed the rules some time ago. That play is definitely reviewable. Whether there was a clear recovery is an issue for the review. The refs did a horrible job because they are supposed to figure out who recovered the possible file even though they called him down in case of a review. Only forward progress in that situation is not reviewable.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I have to go with Uncle Si. Championships are nice but they are not my championship. I didn't do jack. It isn't as if I hold bragging rights because I bought a couple hundred dollars worth of merchandise. The much better thing is just having a team that is enjoyable to watch and has a chance to win every game.

As a fan of defensive football as well, it is a huge privelege to watch one of the greatest defenses in NFL history play on a team that I cheer for. I am going to enjoy the Carroll/Wilson ride for as long as I can.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
This is probably gonna sound lame to those vets such as Si and co speaking above but just thought I'd throw in my 2cents. I only discovered NFL after the 05 season, so never experienced that. Was never big into GAA, Rugby or Hurling (the biggest sports here), soccer bored me to tears. So this whole year has been an amazing wild ride for me, the pride at seeing the team I love atop power rankings, mentioned at the best team in football, going deep in the playoffs, All-Pro nods. Alternating between wishing it was Sunday to see the Hawks and praying nothing goes wrong, cheering on each turnover or TD as the team we all love marched to the number 1 seed. Its all new to me, my Seahawks fandom began somewhere in 07-08 I think so this year has been awesome. Go Hawks.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
NINEster":2c84k5fo said:
Scottemojo":2c84k5fo said:
Tate got dinged in the head. He might have escaped the doctors, but the effects showed afterwards.

The Saints coaches were congratulating Bush after his cheap shot on Harvin. Bush league bullshit. IDK why he can't be back next week, concussion protocol is 6 days, with some practice allowed. I always kind of liked the Saints, but not after that shit today.

LOL.

It's all LOVE with the rest of the NFC until you build some history in some playoff games with them.

You're gonna absolutely loathe whomever you play next weekend.
I already loathe one of those teams.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Hey, if that's how you feel as a fan, go with it. Personally, just like they aren't my championships earned, they aren't my wins or Pro Bowls earned either, so really if we were just watching to enjoy the ride, we'd be fans of watching NFL football without forming any particular allegiance, as every season is a new, special, and memorable ride on the whole.

Well, except for that year the Bucs won the Super Bowl. No one outside of Tampa remembers that year at all.

Anyway, I think becoming a fan of a specific team goes beyond that, at least for me. YMMV.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
HawksSoc":bwo18a8u said:
This is probably gonna sound lame to those vets such as Si and co speaking above but just thought I'd throw in my 2cents. I only discovered NFL after the 05 season, so never experienced that. Was never big into GAA, Rugby or Hurling (the biggest sports here), soccer bored me to tears. So this whole year has been an amazing wild ride for me, the pride at seeing the team I love atop power rankings, mentioned at the best team in football, going deep in the playoffs, All-Pro nods. Alternating between wishing it was Sunday to see the Hawks and praying nothing goes wrong, cheering on each turnover or TD as the team we all love marched to the number 1 seed. Its all new to me, my Seahawks fandom began somewhere in 07-08 I think so this year has been awesome. Go Hawks.

Well said (and I love hurling). I feel the same way every year one of my teams has a year like this

All part of the ride

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ghubf7g said:
HawksSoc":2ghubf7g said:

Well said (and I love hurling). I feel the same way every year one of my teams has a year like this

All part of the ride

Hurling is a great spectator sport, and the fastest field game in the world I believe, just could never...get into it you know? It never drew me, though I did try many times, just never captured my interest. Though on the other hand NFL had me almost from the get go, there's just no beating it in my opinion. Even if it means staying up till 4am to watch the playoffs! :D

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":31up868j said:
Hey, if that's how you feel as a fan, go with it. Personally, just like they aren't my championships earned, they aren't my wins or Pro Bowls earned either, so really if we were just watching to enjoy the ride, we'd be fans of watching NFL football without forming any particular allegiance, as every season is a new, special, and memorable ride on the whole.

Well, except for that year the Bucs won the Super Bowl. No one outside of Tampa remembers that year at all.

Anyway, I think becoming a fan of a specific team goes beyond that, at least for me. YMMV.

I think we all want the same thing..

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
The past weeks we have been all over the offensive line play. Tonight we saw results of the fix. I have to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt that they will fix our passing game as well. I know this because they are the ones working at the VMAC until midnight ever day. I'm starting to think that the play calling is not the issue, rather the execution.

plyka

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":7t15v3do said:
I have to go with Uncle Si. Championships are nice but they are not my championship. I didn't do jack. It isn't as if I hold bragging rights because I bought a couple hundred dollars worth of merchandise. The much better thing is just having a team that is enjoyable to watch and has a chance to win every game.

As a fan of defensive football as well, it is a huge privelege to watch one of the greatest defenses in NFL history play on a team that I cheer for. I am going to enjoy the Carroll/Wilson ride for as long as I can.

The championship isn't yours but neither is anything they do so your argument doesn't make any sense. It's entertainment for everyone. You are entertained by something others are entertained with super owls. I guess it's a preference.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
plyka":3htfnhri said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":3htfnhri said:

The championship isn't yours but neither is anything they do so your argument doesn't make any sense. It's entertainment for everyone. You are entertained by something others are entertained with super owls. I guess it's a preference.

I don't follow. The enjoyment I feel when I watch isn't mine? It belongs to Earl Thomas? Damn, well that just ruined my day.

Methinks you are late to the converstation. No one is arguing they aren't entertained by Super Bowls. The original discussion was on whether this year was an unenjoyable failure if we didn't win a championship. It was a very all or nothing comment that started the debate.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I was like-warm on Bevel. This game made me kind of hopeful that he leaves. It seemed He like he used an unsurprising running game (what, 1 counter?) when we needed to show some urgency, then neglected to run when eating the clock was most important.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":wgzmxd8q said:
plyka":wgzmxd8q said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":wgzmxd8q said:

I don't follow. The enjoyment I feel when I watch isn't mine? It belongs to Earl Thomas? Damn, well that just ruined my day.

Methinks you are late to the converstation. No one is arguing they aren't entertained by Super Bowls. The original discussion was on whether this year was an unenjoyable failure if we didn't win a championship. It was a very all or nothing comment that started the debate.

Best way to settle this whole thing is just win the next two games