Random Thoughts™ on the Saints playoff game

kearly

Reaction score
We won.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a playoff win less though. At one point, and this is actually true, I thought about skipping the final minutes because I actually feared having a brain hemorrhage.

The unbelievable breaks the Saints got in the 2nd half: the fumble overturn + penalty, the shades of Brandon Stokely derpa bomb, Lynch opening the door by forgetting to slide when it would have guaranteed the win, the Kam int drop that hit him square in the chest, maddening penalties to wipe out huge plays or extend drives, and the uncharacteristic Tate botch on the onside kick. All of this while Drew Brees was demolishing our defense with what felt like over 80% completion and 10+ YPA in that second half. Oh, and during that final 3 minutes of game clock that would have been meaningless had Lynch slid, we had an Earl Thomas injury scare. Agony.

And of course, we lost Harvin not just for the second half, but probably also for the NFCCG if NFL concussion protocol is enforced.

But we won. And that's all that matters. It's all worth it, unless I die from a hemorrhage next week.

I'll give the Saints credit. The blocking in their run heavy packages was working, and their secondary played very well. Brees masterfully took what Seattle gave him in the 2nd half.

My biggest concern after this game is how awful Seattle looked on slant passes. Wilson had some bad throws, but he also had some good throws that were dropped. It all added up to a worrisome performance on 3rd and manageable situations. The Saints auto-blitzed the bootleg- Seattle's offense was horrible on bootleg plays AGAIN. Though to Bevell's credit, we ran a lot less bootleg this game and waiting until almost half time before breaking out the first bootleg play, which the Saints immediately sniffed out anyway.

Lynch had a good game, but also had some unforced errors that led to a lot of disaster runs. Wilson had some unforced errors as well. This offense shot themselves in the foot so much it's frankly amazing to think they scored two touchdowns.

It's a really good thing we won, because had we lost the first guy in front of the firing squad would have Darrell Bevell for some of those decisions he made at the end of the game, including the critical 3rd and 3 conversion that Baldwin just barely converted. It was a great play on a boneheaded playcall. It sounds like it was a play Wilson wanted, and it worked out, but I hope the result doesn't coax them into repeating that mistake in the future. They also threw an incomplete pass on first down in that series, where Seattle could have very easily won the game with a couple of effective runs, and Lynch was running well.

Anyway, mostly great performance by the defense in a bizarre game. Seattle doesn't lose very often, but when they do lose, it's always in weird fashion. Seattle was a mile short of a complete game today, and it was enough. Not sure it will be enough from here on out though.

Last thought- I know today just adds more fuel to the haters that say Percy is made of glass. For the record, I've always thought that Harvin would get dinged more than most. But even though he barely played, you could just sense how important he was to the offense, which is remarkable considering that Harvin missed the entire pre-season and has barely even practiced with the team since joining them. Hopefully he can stay reasonably healthy from now on, I think he's going to be a very big cog in this team going forward.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tate got dinged in the head. He might have escaped the doctors, but the effects showed afterwards.

The Saints coaches were congratulating Bush after his cheap shot on Harvin. Bush league bullshit. IDK why he can't be back next week, concussion protocol is 6 days, with some practice allowed. I always kind of liked the Saints, but not after that shit today.

GCrow

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1nzpiohu said:
Tate got dinged in the head. He might have escaped the doctors, but the effects showed afterwards.

The Saints coaches were congratulating Bush after his cheap shot on Harvin. Bush league bullshit. IDK why he can't be back next week, concussion protocol is 6 days, with some practice allowed. I always kind of liked the Saints, but not after that shit today.

Didn't Keenan Lews get a concussion last week against the Eagles? He played today, on a day less rest then we'll have.

General Manager

Reaction score
I've been concerned with the passing game for this whole season really, however they have enough talent to get it done but I would feel a lot better if we had Rice.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Our offense is going to have to get some production at some point . Im afraid of our defense having an off day.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2qfi2xar said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2qfi2xar said:
More negativity. Bleh.

You can tell the Kool-Aid drinkers are at the height of their Baghdad Bob-like behavior when they start knocking Kearly for being negative.

Okay, I'll drink the kool laid... this was a great win, no matter how we won it the end.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It was a stupid gamble by Bevell that was not even his idea (his QB pushed for it since he saw his own OC choking away the game) that would have not even been necessary had our OC even been moderately competent.

Frankly, if that is a road game we lose it, strictly because of our crappy OC.

We now have to play either the Panthers or SF, knowing both teams are better than the one we played and knowing that our OC is going to limit our ability to score. So we have to overcome our own staff to win a game against a better team when we almost let that game get away from us in the final minute.

Not the type of stuff that gives confidence.

Maybe Bevell will end up with a horrible bout of food poisoning and we will have to bring in the 7th radio caller into KJR or KIRO to call the plays instead.

It bothers me that the best I can hope for is that something happens to our OC before the next game in order to win the next game since he almost lost us this one.

But that is how things look right now.

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for putting this together, Kearly. I was confused by Lynch's scoring on that TD instead of running out the clock as well. I remember a few years ago when Jones-Drew slid on the one yard line because he knew that running out the clock was more important than scoring. Pretty intelligent play.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Good review as usual. The play calling seems to put the offense in a position to have to make a play to keep a drive going. No smooth flow. A single error throws the offense to a halt. A very small margin accompanied by too many errors.

chiltech500

Reaction score
"...in front of the firing squad would have Darrell Bevell for some of those decisions he made at the end of the game, including the critical 3rd and 3 conversion that Baldwin just barely converted. It was a great play on a boneheaded playcall."

I think Russell let slip when interviewed "... I convinced Coach Bevell we needed to take a shot.."

How often has he tried to convince Bevell of the same, yes maybe we need to take chances at the right time and conservative at the right time but damnit I'm sick of us looking like we do nothing on offense.

Watch the New England game. Luck makes mistakes and takes chances but he makes things happen. Russell was doing that last year and we threw more often - WTF is going on. I expect us to implode next game unless we play offense like we want to win.

drdiags

Reaction score
GCrow":nr7cz1ac said:
Scottemojo":nr7cz1ac said:

Didn't Keenan Lews get a concussion last week against the Eagles? He played today, on a day less rest then we'll have.

But look at how long Welker was out with the Broncos. No guarantee that he will be cleared in 6 days. Need him back big time but that rust is there between him and Wilson.

hawk45

Reaction score
The passing offense is just not functional without Harvin at this point and I'm not sure how or if it gets better at this point. Better just hope he's always out there.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Wait, so we're knocking Lynch for scoring a game-salting TD and we're knocking Harvin for being concussed by intentional head shots?! I must confess, I don't get it. Of all the things to focus on...

General Manager

Reaction score
The holding call on Bruno was horseshit and negated a huge gain also that fumble they took away from us was garbage to. This game really wasn't that close but our Offense waited to long in the second half have to get serious about scoring .

Rocket

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":13vnbv0w said:
Pandion Haliaetus":13vnbv0w said:
More negativity. Bleh.

You can tell the Kool-Aid drinkers are at the height of their Baghdad Bob-like behavior when they start knocking Kearly for being negative.

That was beautiful, Bro, beautiful. And accurate...

As was Mr. RT™

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Rocket":2wa8t1an said:
Smelly McUgly":2wa8t1an said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2wa8t1an said:
More negativity. Bleh.

That was beautiful, Bro, beautiful. And accurate...

As was Mr. RT™
Except, of course, that it turned out Baghdad Bob was telling the truth and there really weren't any WMD's....

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Gotta agree with most of what you said Kearly. Crazy breaks today all seemed to favor the Saints and we still won, which is great. However, the offense has just not been the same since we played the Saints the first time. Russell has been very inconsistent and the WRs have been unspectacular. I really hope that Percy can play next week or else we will be in trouble as the offense has become a HUGE liability.

Listening to Russell's post game presser, one thing really bothered me. One reported directly asked him about the 3 or 4 slant passes that he missed on and Russell did say they were on him, but also said that they were "no big deal" in the end. Sorry, but they were a huge deal! They all came on 3 and short to medium distances. They were huge plays Russell, you gotta convert those!

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":18peunic said:
Wait, so we're knocking Lynch for scoring a game-salting TD and we're knocking Harvin for being concussed by intentional head shots?! I must confess, I don't get it. Of all the things to focus on...

Problem was, the TD didn't actually seal the victory. It gave the ball back to Brees and Co. so that they had a chance with a score and a recovered onside kick.

If Marshawn goes down at the 1, we can run off the last 1:11 just by kneeling. Saints were out of timeouts; game over. Admittedly, it's not as dramatic as the TD, but it does secure the victory.