Random Thoughts™ on the Saints playoff game

sc85sis

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":l3q8mi92 said:
seahawk2k":l3q8mi92 said:
If you can't sit back for 24 hours and enjoy a playoff win, I don't even know why some of you guys are fans. Isn't this why we are fans? To enjoy victories? Didn't most of us, well, some of us, sit through the rain at Husky Stadium, the half empty Kingdome, Rick Mirer, Stan Gelbaugh, all of that just hoping that one day we would win playoff games?

And you can rip that 3rd and 3 play call, but in terms of strategy, it was a sound decision. Seahawks had been running slants on third down all game. Saints were jumping on it with tight press man to man. One of the best way to beat man to man? Rub routes and the slant/wheel concept. Which is exactly what happened, Wilson put the ball where it need to be, Baldwin made a play.

The offensive gameplanning was conservative and unimaginative. However, this was more on execution. Tate and Baldwin had plenty of opportunities to extend drives. Offense didn't play well, against a good defense, in a playoff game, and guess what, the Seahawks still won.

But, let's mope around and bitch about everything the team did wrong instead of enjoying the win, enjoying the great play by the defense, and enjoying the fact that the team is one win from the Super Bowl.

This fan base, for the most part, has a higher level of football knowledge than most. And I think the analytic sense detracts from the emotions of a fan sometimes.

Success is fleeting my friends, take a few minutes and enjoy it.
Dude, this isn't about winning a playoff game. We've done that. This is about winning a Super Bowl. Everything is viewed through that prism. Any potential impediments to that goal are identified and evaluated. Why do people have a problem with that? If you enjoyed today's win and saw nothing that caused you concern then I admire your rose colored glasses. Thankfully Carroll and his staff don't think like that. Pete has already called out the tackling in his presser. I guess that makes Positive Pete "negative" and a "moper" and a "bitcher". :roll:

Some of you just need to start a Seahawks religion where you can burn the infidels that dare to question your gods: Carroll, Schneider, Wilson, and Harvin. Stop feeling so threatened when someone disagrees with you and stop acting so smug as if you're a better fan than everyone else because you never say a mean word about your beloved team. You're not a better fan. You're a robot. It's seriously creepy.

The NFL is a business. Never forget that.

It doesn't have to be either or. We can enjoy the fact that we won while still being legitimately concerned that our offense is struggling right now. Some of it was the weather conditions today. Some not. But overall the offense hasn't looked that great since the last game against NO.

We have to hope they get it straightened out by next Sunday.

seedhawk

Reaction score
What the heck? My random thought is, PC has taken a page from Billick. Tells his O to just NOT screw things up. Wait for the D to give you a short field. We sure looked and played like the 2000 Ravens today. Ugly yet effective.

Shock2k

Reaction score
seedhawk":14d2rh6c said:
What the heck? My random thought is, PC has taken a page from Billick. Tells his O to just NOT screw things up. Wait for the D to give you a short field. We sure looked and played like the 2000 Ravens today. Ugly yet effective.

Funny I was thinking we looked like the 2000 Ravens also.

They decided they were going to force Wilson into a pocket passer this year it would seem to me.
Without Wilson running, opposing defenses just aren't on their heals anymore.
Take away Rice and go against better secondary's and we start looking really bad. (Like or not, Rice really opened up the passing game. Go look at any 2013 Russel Wilson highlight reel and it will become really clear).
We faced by far the worst Defense we will see in the NFC Game. It's been almost 5 weeks now.... and this doesn't seem to be getting better.

Don't get me wrong. I'm am really happy we won. I just realize now I need to adjust my expectations from certainty to hope.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Shock2k":3g5au8ka said:
We faced by far the worst Defense we will see in the NFC Game. It's been almost 5 weeks now.... and this doesn't seem to be getting better.

Don't get me wrong. I'm am really happy we won. I just realize now I need to adjust my expectations from certainty to hope.

Sounds to me like you can hardly wait for the Aros Prediction Thread this Wednesday. ;)

McGruff

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3hp7hjff said:
]
Dude, this isn't about winning a playoff game. We've done that. This is about winning a Super Bowl.

The NFL is a business. Never forget that.

Shoot, I didn't notice that we lost the Super Bowl today. I was under the apparently mistaken impression that a win today got us closer. Turns out it eliminated us.

I am celebrating a great win. A win that looked an awful lot like the style of football we've played all year. Solid running, great defense, mistake free, and doing just enough to get the win. The way I see it that style has won us a franchise record tying 13 regular season games, a playoff game, and a shot at the Super Bowl, at home, against a team we've already beat.

You want to watch a different style, watch a different team. You want to watch football that wins games and possibly championships, watch the Seahawks.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":ody5xess said:
Shock2k":ody5xess said:

Sounds to me like you can hardly wait for the Aros Prediction Thread this Wednesday. ;)

:). You know I'm just happy we are alive for another week, and the game is at home! Go Hawks!

morgulon1

Reaction score
kf3339":3aqcpkbf said:
I don't have a problem with Lynch scoring his second TD. Our defense should not have let Brees so easily move down the field on them for their second TD. I also don't get why they wouldn't know that Coulsen is his favorite WR and do a better job taking him out of the game.

I appreciate the comments though Kearly. Do you have anything specific to say about what is happening with Wilson the last few weeks. Is it a sophomore slump? Is it Bevell? Is it our WR's?

Nice post. We also dropped 2 sure interceptions that would've ended the game. Weird.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
chiltech500":20qdp42d said:
"...in front of the firing squad would have Darrell Bevell for some of those decisions he made at the end of the game, including the critical 3rd and 3 conversion that Baldwin just barely converted. It was a great play on a boneheaded playcall."

I think Russell let slip when interviewed "... I convinced Coach Bevell we needed to take a shot.."

How often has he tried to convince Bevell of the same, yes maybe we need to take chances at the right time and conservative at the right time but damnit I'm sick of us looking like we do nothing on offense.

Watch the New England game. Luck makes mistakes and takes chances but he makes things happen. Russell was doing that last year and we threw more often - WTF is going on. I expect us to implode next game unless we play offense like we want to win.

It looks obvious to me, that Bevel likes to go conservative, and sit on a lead, and then dump it all on the Defense to hold for the squeaker wins.
It does make me wonder though, if Pete isn't calling for Bevel to do exactly that.
When you get into the play-offs, you have to CHANGE your trending, and take some chances, or you give the opposition a bit of your playbook to use against you.
Kearly did point out that mistake of running on in for the TD by Lynch, when he could have assured the win by sliding up short of the Goal Line, but I'm not too sure that Pete wouldn't have admonished him for doing that.
I for one agree with the idea of running out the clock as K.E. has suggested.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kigenzun":183ez2jn said:
Of course... the referee being from New Orleans; born and raised, and living there now. I mean, that simple fact should make a ref ineligible.......
COMPLETELY agree. Even if there really is no conscious favoritism or even sub-conscious favoritism (which on that level I believe is impossible) it reeks of impropriety to allow this. Of course, maybe the NFL just doesn't want the Seahawks to win.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3tzruamy said:
No need to get excited about a playoff win. I've seen those before.

No need to get excited about being in the NFCCG; I've seen our team play in one before.

All that matters is getting a Lombardi. If we don't, the season was a failure.

Ridiculous... But have fun.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Perhaps if we actually practiced the short passing game, our guys wouldn't have so many mistakes when trying to execute it.

I'm supremely glad we won, but very disappointed in the offense. We definitely had poor execution a variety of times today, but the play calling was once again, in my opinion, bad a lot of the time. I completely agree about Baldwin's barely-caught. Horrible call that we got lucky with. Baldwin's a baws.

I feel like Sunday the 19th is our execution date, though. Against an elite defense, our offense will be even worse than it was today.

Geologic

Reaction score
drdiags":mucn9sw4 said:
GCrow":mucn9sw4 said:
Scottemojo":mucn9sw4 said:
Tate got dinged in the head. He might have escaped the doctors, but the effects showed afterwards.

The Saints coaches were congratulating Bush after his cheap shot on Harvin. Bush league bullshit. IDK why he can't be back next week, concussion protocol is 6 days, with some practice allowed. I always kind of liked the Saints, but not after that shit today.

Didn't Keenan Lews get a concussion last week against the Eagles? He played today, on a day less rest then we'll have.

But look at how long Welker was out with the Broncos. No guarantee that he will be cleared in 6 days. Need him back big time but that rust is there between him and Wilson.
The difference was that Welker suffered a concussion earlier in the season also

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Uncle Si":39sea1hq said:
Smelly McUgly":39sea1hq said:

No need to get excited about being in the NFCCG; I've seen our team play in one before.

"Ridiculous" sounds like the type of thing your typical Seattle sports fan would say. So used to losing that it doesn't matter anymore.

I'm sick of losing myself. Call me crazy if you must.

NINEster

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3qtny51u said:
Tate got dinged in the head. He might have escaped the doctors, but the effects showed afterwards.

The Saints coaches were congratulating Bush after his cheap shot on Harvin. Bush league bullshit. IDK why he can't be back next week, concussion protocol is 6 days, with some practice allowed. I always kind of liked the Saints, but not after that shit today.

LOL.

It's all LOVE with the rest of the NFC until you build some history in some playoff games with them.

You're gonna absolutely loathe whomever you play next weekend.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2y28schp said:
Uncle Si":2y28schp said:
Smelly McUgly":2y28schp said:

"Ridiculous" sounds like the type of thing your typical Seattle sports fan would say. So used to losing that it doesn't matter anymore.

Sports is entertainment... You've been entertained to the tune of 14-3 this season. Your favorite football team is hosting one of the biggest games of the year and has been the most talked about team of the year. But your dick of losing? ( .net has 40 threads a week trashing them like only armchair coach geniuses can)

All or bust is a disingenuous way of approaching sports... But yeah its "typical Seattle".

Jesus.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Uncle Si":szpgsmok said:
Smelly McUgly":szpgsmok said:
Uncle Si":szpgsmok said:
Smelly McUgly":szpgsmok said:

Sports is entertainment... You've been entertained to the tune of 14-3 this season. Your favorite football team is hosting one of the biggest games of the year and has been the most talked about team of the year. But your dick of losing? ( .net has 40 threads a week trashing them like only armchair coach geniuses can)

All or bust is a disingenuous way of approaching sports... But yeah its "typical Seattle".

Jesus.

I guess some guys get off on a team getting talked about in the media a ton. If that's great for you, good. I guess some guys love regular season wins a lot. If that's great for you, good. Personally, I have had 30+ years of all my favorite teams never winning a championship and being the best at their sport, so that other stuff you mentioned is old hat for me. But if "Hey, we got mentioned more often on ESPN!" is the highlight of your sports fandom, I'll give you a slow clap.

I don't know if even Jesus can help you with that loser outlook you have going, but you can ask Him for help, I guess.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The Seahawks have RARELY looked dominant on offense this season - and scored more points than the Saints this year and beat them twice. We've been worried about that oline, worried about Wilson, worried about our WR's. We even stress out about Lynch when he doesn't have a good game. And yet, that sputtering offense scored more points than SF or Carolina this season. Their elite defenses? Gave up more points than Seattles.

And the game is here.

A little perspective.

Axx

Reaction score
sure we go against a elite defense next week, but whichever offense we play will not be as good as the saints offense.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1unr5nt2 said:
Uncle Si":1unr5nt2 said:
Smelly McUgly":1unr5nt2 said:
Uncle Si":1unr5nt2 said:

Jesus.

I guess some guys get off on a team getting talked about in the media a ton. If that's great for you, good. I guess some guys love regular season wins a lot. If that's great for you, good. Personally, I have had 30+ years of all my favorite teams never winning a championship and being the best at their sport, so that other stuff you mentioned is old hat for me. But if "Hey, we got mentioned more often on ESPN!" is the highlight of your sports fandom, I'll give you a slow clap.

I don't know if even Jesus can help you with that loser outlook you have going, but you can ask Him for help, I guess.

Yeah you're right... Its loser outlook to have a bit of perspective on sports. That's the failure

Go on though. Tell us what winning is.