Random Thoughts™ on the Chargers preseason game

BlueTalons

Reaction score
My thoughts only as casual observer: If I were a coach, I would try to work against a teams strengths in the preseason. In the regular season is where you try to exploit a teams weaknesses. Thus my reasoning for the early struggles. But then again I could be way off...

McGruff

Reaction score
Go back and watch Bennett, Kip. Dude was spectacular early and late. Instant burst off e snap, penetration and several pressures against both Rivers and Whitehurst. He makes Jason Jones look slow. IMO he was the MVP of the defense because he was producing against an actual NFL roster.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
First and foremost thanks for the write-up Kearly!

Standouts for me were Howard, Mayowa, Powell, Tjack, Williams, Michael and Ware. Also got to give props to Haushka for showing us he has a 60 yard leg!

Guys I was left wanting by were Perez, Thurmond, Guy, Willson and Lotuleilei.

Observations- The backup qb competition is over. We have the deepest running corps in the league! Harvin will be icing on a damn good cake if and when he returns. Our run defense is still not quite there. A lot of teams will be picking up a lot of guys we played last night just because we are so deep in so many areas.

Go Hawks!

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":lw6kpqby said:
First and foremost thanks for the write-up Kearly!

Standouts for me were Howard, Mayowa, Powell, Tjack, Williams, Michael and Ware. Also got to give props to Haushka for showing us he has a 60 yard leg!

Guys I was left wanting by were Perez, Thurmond, Guy, Willson and Lotuleilei.

Observations- The backup qb competition is over. We have the deepest running corps in the league! Harvin will be icing on a damn good cake if and when he returns. Our run defense is still not quite there. A lot of teams will be picking up a lot of guys we played last night just because we are so deep in so many areas.

Go Hawks!
Haushka is better than you.

I thought both RB's showed glimpses of greatness, oh I'm not talking about Lynch he didn't even play! HA!

leilei is gonna be good for a long time, I'll make that statement now and stick with it until proven wrong.

themunn

Reaction score
McGruff":1n51yjfc said:
Go back and watch Bennett, Kip. Dude was spectacular early and late. Instant burst off e snap, penetration and several pressures against both Rivers and Whitehurst. He makes Jason Jones look slow. IMO he was the MVP of the defense because he was producing against an actual NFL roster.

He impressed me too - in fact I felt we had the exact opposite problem last night from what we had last year - with none of our edge rushers available (Avril/Clemons/Irvin), the QBs were able to just escape the pocket without worry (until the backups came in anyway), I think with even 2 of the 3 mentioned above Bennett would have wreaked absolute havoc with the QB

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I actually meant the Haushka comment sincerely. Last season he got harshed for not having the distance. Last night he showed that he does.

McGruff

Reaction score
Also, Kip . . . Curious what you saw from Jesse Williams. Carroll mentioned him in theist game pressed for his standout play, but I didn't see it. Was pushed back way more than I thought he should be.

I watched the interior line almost every snap, because I really wanted to see what Hill and Williams would do. It was Ellington that they both played a lot early and not at all late. The coaches obviously like them. Hill had flashes, but was inconsistent. Like Kip, I loved him in obvious passing situation . . . He and Bennett are a lethal combo inside . . . But against the run he was just average at best.

Again, Bennett is the guy who really stood out to me inside.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Some random observations from my notes. I didn't read too much into the D line play. They first unit was playing a base defense and the secondary was for much of the game playing a lot of man. Kam was out of position a lot I noticed. The linebacker play was spotty. M. smith did not look very good nor Morgan. Winfield surprised me. I can think of 3 DBs we have that looked better ( lane, WT3 Adams)

nanomoz

Reaction score
kearly":2y7pz34h said:
That's about as good a debut as you could ever hope for when you are a 6th round rookie who played his college football in the middle of nowhere.

Hey now! Cedar City isn't the middle of nowhere, I live there!

Great notes, Kip.

grizbob

Reaction score
nanomoz":z6cbzg1o said:
kearly":z6cbzg1o said:
That's about as good a debut as you could ever hope for when you are a 6th round rookie who played his college football in the middle of nowhere.

Hey now! Cedar City isn't the middle of nowhere, I live there!

Great notes, Kip.

Yeah, it's the edge of nowhere, I live in the middle :D

acbass

Reaction score
I don't really have any concerns after last night. The team that we fielded last night will look nothing like what we field week 1. The first preseason game is just to shake the rust off and see how the depth players react in a real setting. PeeWee teams put together a more complete game plan than a week 1 preseason game. I thought a couple of guys on the dline performed well. The one end (Mofoya or whatever) showed he has quite the motor. These are the kinds of things I want to see. I know what Russell, Golden, Sidney, Earl, Sherman, and the rest of the boys can do. I'm not worried one iota more today than I was a week ago. This is just the appetizer ladies and gentlemen.

McGruff

Reaction score
Happypuppy":214usx54 said:
Some random observations from my notes. I didn't read too much into the D line play. They first unit was playing a base defense and the secondary was for much of the game playing a lot of man. Kam was out of position a lot I noticed. The linebacker play was spotty. M. smith did not look very good nor Morgan. Winfield surprised me. I can think of 3 DBs we have that looked better ( lane, WT3 Adams)

Interesting. I thought Smith played a great game. Slid all around and I was pleasantly surprised by how could he was blitzing.

One more note in agreement with Kearly . . . Ware may not be the FB of the future . . . But I think Derrick Coleman is. Not only good play at FB, but a coupe of really great special teams plays.

Sac

Reaction score
This Stephen Williams kid....man... When I first heard about him I was like :roll: then after last night I was like :shock:

True story.

13thMan

Reaction score
Frankly, I was pretty discouraged by the 1st team offense, Russ and Co... Not the showing I was expecting or would have preferred by any stretch of the imagination... Here's hoping it's not any indication of an impending sophomore slump or otherwise... yikes.

EDIT: I did like what I saw from Christine Michael... very encouraging.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good post Kearly.

On that Williams sideline play, he was clearly interfered with. Funny how the refs seemd to run around with their flags in their hands when we were on D, but had them firmly in pockets for SD. Meh, it's preseason, but I hope the silly personal foul calls go away. It reallyl looks like the NFL is trying to get away from any sort of physicality. Refs were throwing flags tonight like the NFL is afraid of being sued.

I thought Maxwell played with a ton more confidence than I've seen him play with before.

Not only is our defense deep, but it's making our ST look good. Perez Ashford impressed me from a ST standpoint. He made a contested punt catch that not many guys in the league wouldn't. In the regular season, that would be a flag.

You're right Nano, Cedar City isn't the middle of nowhere, it's on the fringe of nowhere on the way to Mesquite and Las Vegas. When your claim to fame is proximity to Mesquite and some dinosaur tracks, you're hurting. On the plus side, being that close to Bryce Canyon and Zion is a bonus, and it's great fishing there! I do like the area, but had to give you a hard time.

McGruff

Reaction score
One more tag . . . The most impressive thing about Michael was what he did without the ball. Dude stepped up huge as a pass protector. Several clutch blocks that most rookies misread or whiff.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I've been looking forward to this for 8 months. Really nice observations! I find myself falling in love with Lotulelei, but will have to view him with a more jaundiced eye next game.

Happypuppy

Reaction score

Interesting. I thought Smith played a great game. Slid all around and I was pleasantly surprised by how could he was blitzing.[/quote]

Smith at his position has 2 roles in run D. Seal the edge and funnel,to,the center. He did ok sealing the edge but twice I saw him get blown up trying to funnel it. He did do much better rushing the QB. I don't remember seeing him do it before or at least much.

Coleman looked better than Ware, who looked average.

One more note Moffit looked weak in run blocking. Sweezy had a much better game, and looked solid.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Lieutenant Dan":3tt7m19t said:
GREAT writeup as always, Kip. Thanks so much!

So......not trying to Chicken Little, but should we be a little concerned about the TE position? Because I am (Miller notwithstanding). But does anyone draft high at TE?

I would love to see us draft a great tight-end high, but we won't get the luxury of a high draft pick n the next few years. That said, here's a quick list from nfl.com that shows some first-round TE picks from the last decade. It includes our own Jerramy Stevens. Many of them were picked late in the first round:

1. Vernon Davis, 49ers (No. 6, 2006)
2. Dallas Clark, Colts (No. 24, 2003)
3. Heath Miller, Steelers (No. 30, 2005)
4. Kellen Winslow, Browns (No. 6. 2004)
5. Brandon Pettigrew, Lions (No. 20, 2009)
6. Jeremy Shockey, Giants (No. 14, 2002)
7. Dustin Keller, Jets (No. 30, 2008)
8. Marcedes Lewis, Jaguars (No. 28, 2006)
9. Jermaine Gresham, Bengals (No. 21, 2010)
10. Daniel Graham, Patriots (No. 21, 2002)
11. Greg Olsen, Bears (No. 31, 2007)
12. Ben Watson, Patriots (No. 32, 2004)
13. Jerramy Stevens, (No. 28, 2002)

An interesting point is that the bust-rate for 1st round TEs is quite low. Hmmm...

After watching the game last night, I'd give Luke Willson a chance. He should get better.