Rams extend Gurley 4yr 60m

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
homerun1970":b6czcoqo said:
They have cap space now when Goff, Donald, Suh, Etc come due 100 Million isnt going to stretch if they plan on doling out 15 to a rb plus Cooks 16 contract. The only envy is the rookie contract for a Qb but when they are due to be paid rather have Russ thanks.

One of the things people dont think about is the fact that if the game goes sour on them...they can cut them like we did with a few of ours. They are still in the drivers seat for the division...but that may change depending on the preseason and Season games. Their owners and coaches are not really that stupid. Realistically.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Another take on the AD contract situation may just be that he is asking for more than Rams will pay. It’s been both rumored that he is happy with negations and a contract is shortly forthcoming, and that he wants to be the first D player to get QB money.

I love him and want him on the Rams, but if he really wants to hold out for extreme money to make history, then that may be from a different team.

ETA: if there is no contract, I expect he balls out hard this season to prove he deserves QB money. I’m good with that too.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Super Bowls are extrelemely difficult to win. As we know, they require a combination of good matchups, skill, some HFA, injury free rosters, and some good ole’ fashion luck. When you have a window, you have to go all in and I think the Rams are doing just that for the next few years.

The Rams just had a season where they had a coaching philosophy they finally bought into, a great young QB on a rookie contract, an incredible RB as well as a very good defense. They put up a lot of points and started whipping teams that they had struggled to beat in years past. They made the playoffs and their lack of experience caught up to them against a talented Falcons team. They are returning with the same core, added some solid players, and now have a little playoff experience under their belt.

Ummmm...

Does this sound familiar?

I remember exactly how excited I felt after our 2012 season. To be honest, if I were a Rams fan, I’d probably feel much the same way right now. Do I think they are going to have cap issues moving forward when it’s time to sign Goff and Donald?

Yes I do. And quite frankly, that sounds familiar as well. If they can get a Super Bowl out of it before that happens then who cares?

Here’s to hoping I’m wrong.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Ramfan128":nqny6fbr said:
homerun1970":nqny6fbr said:
With the move to L.A. the Rams were given a money press and a salary cap exemption it feels like.

We just randomly have $100 million in cap space the next few years. This extension doesn't kick in until next year (or maybe even the year after).

Paying Cooks and Gurley almost 30 mil a year avg seems like a lot of money to dish out for a WR and RB, but I guess it depends on the structure if they can cut if needed

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
rjdriver":vfi0gtqq said:
Super Bowls are extrelemely difficult to win. As we know, they require a combination of good matchups, skill, some HFA, injury free rosters, and some good ole’ fashion luck. When you have a window, you have to go all in and I think the Rams are doing just that for the next few years.

The Rams just had a season where they had a coaching philosophy they finally bought into, a great young QB on a rookie contract, an incredible RB as well as a very good defense. They put up a lot of points and started whipping teams that they had struggled to beat in years past. They made the playoffs and their lack of experience caught up to them against a talented Falcons team. They are returning with the same core, added some solid players, and now have a little playoff experience under their belt.

Ummmm...

I remember exactly how excited I felt after our 2012 season. To be honest, if I were a Rams fan, I’d probably feel much the same way right now. Do I think they are going to have cap issues moving forward when it’s time to sign Goff and Donald?

Yes I do. And quite frankly, that sounds familiar as well. If they can get a Super Bowl out of it before that happens then who cares?

Ya but Goff is no Wilson. The good thing for Goff is he is now the age Wilson was as a rookie but Wilson won the superbowl in his 2nd year and SHOULD have gone to the NFCCG his rookie year if the D didnt blow it. Wilson had over 100 QB rating his first 2 years in the 5 playoff games he had.

Unfor for the Rams the Vikings and Eagles seemingly stayed the same if not better and the NFC is going to be tough IMO with Rodgers being back

RedAlice

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":y4orfnla said:
Ramfan128":y4orfnla said:
homerun1970":y4orfnla said:
With the move to L.A. the Rams were given a money press and a salary cap exemption it feels like.

We just randomly have $100 million in cap space the next few years. This extension doesn't kick in until next year (or maybe even the year after).

Paying Cooks and Gurley almost 30 mil a year avg seems like a lot of money to dish out for a WR and RB, but I guess it depends on the structure if they can cut if needed

I may be wrong, but I think you are taking contracts at stated value without understanding the way they are set up.

This doesn’t work the same way as if you just took a random job.

RedAlice

Reaction score
rjdriver":2bi4pzve said:

Ummmm...

Agree on almost all you’ve said here. And a full on YES to SBs being hard to win.

Personally I feel there is a lot to still be proven by the games being played.

I do think the FO has been on top of their game to set up a winning season, and many more.

However, there is zero accomplished yet. I do believe it will be.

Hopefull? Yes. Know? No.

But for the first time in my recent memory and having spent years as the fan of one of the worst teams in the entire NFL: even discussing this preseason is kinda fun.

RedAlice

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":37iyb3my said:
Rambitious":37iyb3my said:
homerun1970":37iyb3my said:

Jealousy is so unbecoming. ;)
Good cap management.
Bro, you've made 10 replies on this forum in the last year-and-a-half. Calm down.

Well. I member when Rams drafted the Supah Star Tavon and this board was flooded w obnoxious Rams fans.

Stop your whining bro, you got nothing close to that now and all us Rams fans posting have been here years and are kinda reasonable.

mikeak

Reaction score
I don't understand extending a guy with 2 years left on his rookie five year deal. This deal should have been negotiated at the end of this season / beginning of next.

If you are getting a discount - sure do it now, if not why do it now? Timing is weird and sets a really bad precedent for future players. Welcome to multiple guys sitting out over the next 5 years with 2 years left on their deals. It will lead to bad deals long term

It is $45 million guaranteed - I don't care what people want to say about comparing it to regular jobs. You are not cutting a player that got $45 million guaranteed and freak injuries happen. There is zero reason to do this now

Ramfan128

Reaction score
mikeak":1dwvs62u said:
I don't understand extending a guy with 2 years left on his rookie five year deal. This deal should have been negotiated at the end of this season / beginning of next.

If you are getting a discount - sure do it now, if not why do it now? Timing is weird and sets a really bad precedent for future players. Welcome to multiple guys sitting out over the next 5 years with 2 years left on their deals. It will lead to bad deals long term

It is $45 million guaranteed - I don't care what people want to say about comparing it to regular jobs. You are not cutting a player that got $45 million guaranteed and freak injuries happen. There is zero reason to do this now

You make a good point, but on the flip side, some Rams fans (me) have been irritated that the following players are/were not locked up long term:

Watkins/Cooks
Gurley
Donald
Goff
Joyner
Not a single offensive linemen after next season
Peters

Then we had John Johnson ball out at safety - him being a midround pick means having to decide whether to re-sign him will have to come early.

We could potentially have all these guys for the next two seasons at least - but it was becoming a little ridiculous that a team with hundreds of millions in cap space the next few years hadn't locked up anyone long term.

Plus if Bell hits FA I think he will get $20 million - I'm sure the Rams wanted to lock Gurley up before Zeke or David Johnson got an even bigger extension than whatever Bell gets.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":387n8qe0 said:
rjdriver":387n8qe0 said:

Ummmm...

Ya but Goff is no Wilson. The good thing for Goff is he is now the age Wilson was as a rookie but Wilson won the superbowl in his 2nd year and SHOULD have gone to the NFCCG his rookie year if the D didnt blow it. Wilson had over 100 QB rating his first 2 years in the 5 playoff games he had.

Unfor for the Rams the Vikings and Eagles seemingly stayed the same if not better and the NFC is going to be tough IMO with Rodgers being back

I definitely agree about the rest of the NFC. It's bad luck for the Rams that the Vikings and Eagles are this good at the same time.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Ramfan128":35qe8pjr said:
mikeak":35qe8pjr said:

You make a good point, but on the flip side, some Rams fans (me) have been irritated that the following players are/were not locked up long term:

Watkins/Cooks
Gurley
Donald
Goff
Joyner
Not a single offensive linemen after next season
Peters

Then we had John Johnson ball out at safety - him being a midround pick means having to decide whether to re-sign him will have to come early.

We could potentially have all these guys for the next two seasons at least - but it was becoming a little ridiculous that a team with hundreds of millions in cap space the next few years hadn't locked up anyone long term.

Plus if Bell hits FA I think he will get $20 million - I'm sure the Rams wanted to lock Gurley up before Zeke or David Johnson got an even bigger extension than whatever Bell gets.
Not so sure you understand how much the cap is or what is all involved..
I'm not sure myself but pretty sure it was not as high as your post said.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
RedAlice":u8yirlup said:
WilsonMVP":u8yirlup said:
Ramfan128":u8yirlup said:
homerun1970":u8yirlup said:

I may be wrong, but I think you are taking contracts at stated value without understanding the way they are set up.

This doesn’t work the same way as if you just took a random job.

Like I said, it depends how its structured...just looking at spotrac

Gurley
2018-7 mil
2019-9 mil
2020- 17 mil
2021- 13 mil
2022-14 mil
2023-10 mil

Those are the cap hits per year with a potential out in 2022 with a 4 mil dead cap hit

Cooks
2018-5 mil
2019-20 mil
2020- 22 mil
2021-13 mil
2022-14 mil
2023- 14 mil

They can cut him starting in 2020 with dead cap of 4 mil or so and less as years go by

2020 is interesting to me because Gurley and Cooks are scheduled to count almost 40 mil against the Rams cap which is when Goff would be a FA and Donald will prob be getting, I can only assume, the same if not more than Cooks or Gurley so just those 4 players could count 60-70 mil against the Rams cap in 2020

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1rh8awu7 said:
WilsonMVP":1rh8awu7 said:
rjdriver":1rh8awu7 said:

Ummmm...

Then Eagles of course get Wentz back, get Bennet and other moves they made

I definitely agree about the rest of the NFC. It's bad luck for the Rams that the Vikings and Eagles are this good at the same time.

Last year outside Rams opening drive and a drive where they fumbled at the MIN 11 they got absolutely smashed by the Vikings. Score ended up being 7-24 with Goff having 0TD/0INT 79 qb rating and Gurley had 37 rushing yards (4th lowest in his career), 19 receiving yards and 1 total TD. Vikings as a team rushed for 171 yards and Keenum threw for 280 and 1TD.

Vikings are adding Cousins over Keenum, Cook coming back as the #1 RB, and Richardson upgrading the DT postion

chris98251

Reaction score
That's the contract today, now lets see if he plays it all the way out, or how many restructures it gets over his playing career if he doesn't get hurt and then cut at some point.

Can't believe many of these deals that have a monster pay off see their total money paid out on the initial contract, extend restructure shift to bonus lots of stuff will go on I would bet.

Here's the pay out from PFT.

1. Signing bonus: $21 million.
2. 2018 base salary: $950,000, fully guaranteed.
3. 2019 base salary: $5 million, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2019 league year.
4. 2020 roster bonus due on third day of 2020 league year: $7.55 million, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2019 league year.
5. 2020 salary: $5.5 million, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2020 league year.
6. 2021 roster bonus due on the third day of 2021 league year or when the first game, whichever is earlier: $5 million, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2020 league year.
7. 2021 salary: $4 million.
8. 2022 roster bonus, due on the third day of the 2022 league year: $1 million.
9. 2022 training camp reporting bonus: $4 million.
10. 2022 salary: $5 million.
11. 2023 roster bonus, due on the third day of the 2023 league year: $1 million.
12. 2023 training camp reporting bonus: $4 million.
13. 2023 salary: $5.449 million.
14. 2023 escalator: Up to $2.5 million based on individual and team performance.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/25/inside-todd-gurleys-new-deal/

The rest of the details are in the link, makes me think more and more he won't see the end of it.

mikeak

Reaction score
Awesome you can cut a guy in 2022 after paying him $49MM and the dead cap is only $4 million

Is that your example of flexibility?

Interesting. Guess what else happens in 2022

He has 2 years left and want an extended deal

Again I don’t understand extending players with 2 years left. So what that you had several players in the same position. This is a VIOLENT SPORT. You don’t spend the money before you have to. Exceptions would be if he was drafted in the fifth round playing for peanuts. Then you buy loyalty / hometown discount etc.

Bell would not have driven up the market. Instead what happened is that Gurley drove it up. Bell would have been in the $15-$16 million group. That wouldn’t significantly have moved the needle for a contract to Gurley next year. Bell instead proved that if you want to play hardball you may end up three straight seasons on a 1 year deal. That is a huge risk (and stupid).

Rams have a deadly team, one of the best coaches in football. A guy that can be successful for a very long time. They are clearly a force to be reckoned with

So in the end - these deals are great for Seattle. One or two of them goes sideways early and suddenly that great cap gets really tight. Then a center or RG gets injured and next your qb . hits the dust.

You just can’t be careless with the money and this signing was early (not wrong, not a bad contract, not overpaid - just 12 months early)

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Thanks for the information yall. This is good stuff. I wonder what is going to happen with the new CBA that should be taking place in 2020.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He is the best back in the league and the rams best offensive player so they paid him like it. At best Bell may be the third best player on the Pittsburgh offense and they added Jaylan Samuels in the draft. No way Pittsburgh can pay Bell like Gurley.