Potential “Strength of Victory” Tiebreaker?

Wolfepack

Reaction score
I know it may be premature, but can someone clarify or confirm if I got this right? If SF loses to NO and if we win thr next 4 games going into that week 16 match up vs SF .... we will be 13-2 and SF will be 12-3.

At that point, if SF wins, would it depend on strength of victory? We will have matching 13-3 records and split head-to-head victories. We will also have matching division records and conference records. The next tie breaker is “strength of victory” which compares the win/loss percentage of the opponents we have beaten. Both SF and Seattle will have lost to the same teams (Balt & NO) and of the teams we have beaten, there are only a handful of different teams. The only teams that we have beaten that differ from each other are:

SF will have beaten GB and Wash
Seattle will have beaten Minny and Philly

Of course predicting these team records might be difficult, it’s seems plausible
that:

GB wins out at (13-3)
Wash loses at least 2 of 4 to GB, PHI, NYG, DAL to end up (5-11)

Minny loses to us and GB only, ending up (11-5)
Philly wins at least 2 of 4 to NYG, WASH, DAL, NYG to end up (7-9)

So SF’s opponents and our opponents both will have a combined W/L record of (18-14). I assume that because there is a lot of guessing of who wins in these last 4 weeks, but am I at least following correctly?

Of course if we just win out we secure the division AND the #2 seed, which is the best scenario. But being that this scenario is just as plausible, I was curious if I’m following it correctly.

sutz

Reaction score
SoV is pretty far down on the tiebreaker list. Not sure where, but it has to be like 7th or 8th place.

Head to head is higher, div record, and conference record are higher.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
sutz":10zn0fxy said:
SoV is pretty far down on the tiebreaker list. Not sure where, but it has to be like 7th or 8th place.

Head to head is higher, div record, and conference record are higher.

Did you not read the original post?

kmeleon

Reaction score
Wolfepack":qf27rxcm said:
I know it may be premature, but can someone clarify or confirm if I got this right? If SF loses to NO and if we win thr next 4 games going into that week 16 match up vs SF .... we will be 13-2 and SF will be 12-3.

At that point, if SF wins, would it depend on strength of victory? We will have matching 13-3 records and split head-to-head victories. We will also have matching division records and conference records. The next tie breaker is “strength of victory” which compares the win/loss percentage of the opponents we have beaten. Both SF and Seattle will have lost to the same teams (Balt & NO) and of the teams we have beaten, there are only a handful of different teams. The only teams that we have beaten that differ from each other are:

Of course predicting these team records might be difficult, it’s seems plausible
that:

GB wins out at (13-3)

So SF’s opponents and our opponents both will have a combined W/L record of (18-14). I assume that because there is a lot of guessing of who wins in these last 4 weeks, but am I at least following correctly?

Of course if we just win out we secure the division AND the #2 seed, which is the best scenario. But being that this scenario is just as plausible, I was curious if I’m following it correctly.

To Break A Tie Within A Division
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

seahawksny

Reaction score
kmeleon":3dzvadyi said:
Wolfepack":3dzvadyi said:

that:

GB wins out at (13-3)

To Break A Tie Within A Division
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Coin toss

I wonder what what the record is for how far down that list two teams have gone to decide tiebrreaker

These are definitely possible that the two teams can be identical. Not often, and not likely, but possible.

Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.

Starting from here down- almost impossible

themunn

Reaction score
I think that this is a more than possible tiebreaker - which I think we would likely just win. The interesting thing is that if we tie on SoV, it would also tie us on strength of schedule as we would have won and lost the exact same games, and if we tie on SoV it means the 2 conference teams we played different ended up with tied records.

Only difference between or schedules is that we play Minnesota and Philly and they play GB and Washington. Currently Minnesota and Philly have a combined 13-11 record vs GB & Washington having 12-12.

If it comes down to a tie, it depends on our point differential in the conference - SF are currently 70 points ahead of us there, so it's unlikely we would win unless we stomp the Cardinals and Panthers (not impossible), lose only narrowly to the Niners and hope that NO stomp SF.

It would be pretty amazing if it came down to that, though my first preference is that we win the next 4 games!

Latest posts