Pick #16 - DT Byron Murphy

olyfan63

Reaction score
So, what are we getting in Byron Murphy II? Not familiar with his game and what he brings.

Scout

Reaction score
I would rate Newton a better rusher over Murphy. But Murphy is a more complete player and Newton is undersized ala Kancey who was drafted last year.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He only has 5 sacks? What's special with this guy?
DT's don't need to have a ton of sacks to be effective. Murphy is a disruptor and was the main cog in Texas's defense. The guy is good in every facet of the defensive line. Need him to be a space eater? He can do that, want him to rush the passer? He can do that too.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Reach. Poor man's Aaron Donald.

Tons of better prospects on the board. Short arms.

Not surprising to see Schneider get cute and completely blow it. Unnacceptable.
I'm leaning that way too.
I love Texas DTs. Guys like Sam Adams worked out great for us.
Wanted nothing to do with Dallas Turner, so could be worse.
But

Stuff about his iffy work ethic and taking plays off is worrisome. Lack of work ethic rarely works out for anyone.
Let's hope that stuff was overblown. He's on the team now so I hope it works out.

getnasty

Reaction score
Mac must be very, very happy. Rotating Murphy with Hankins and Reed on the inside ensures run defense becomes stout.
Reed and Hankins can play 1 and 2 down. Murphy wasn't drafted to stop the run. Let him get after the QB.

Scout

Reaction score
Reed and Hankins can play 1 and 2 down. Murphy wasn't drafted to stop the run. Let him get after the QB.
Murphy can rotate with Reed/Hankins or even with D. Jones. There are plenty of snaps whether as a nose or as a three tech.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I was a bit surprised that we didn't trade back. I'll be interested to hear John's explanation of how Murphy fit with the rest of the board at that point, how many players with 1st round draft grades were left, etc.