Pete on talent issues, scheme compared to 49ers

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Hard to argue with that list. Others have potential to be good to very good in the coming years (Brooks, Taylor, Bryant) but I would add Neal and Jackson to that list. Players that may not make the national talking head's discussion but are players who are total complementary and scrappy ballers.

If we remove our emotions and biases (we all have them), you find that the Seahawks actually have more talented players than given credit for. The glaring needs are obvious but that shouldn't blind ourselves to the fact that we have a solid base of talented players already on the roster. More than many teams.
I would put Neal and Jackson on the next tier. Worthy of a starting role.

morgulon1

Reaction score
This tells me Pete leans Defense with that #5 pick and I would guess John is leaning QB. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Pete deserves some blame or just coaching in general because you've used some high capitol picks and they haven't panned out. Brooks has struggled this year. Collier was a complete bust, Taylor looked bad although he did come on late at least as a pass rusher. They've just struggled drafting on that side of the ball but maybe that changes.
I hope they don't waste a top pick on a QB. The thing I wonder is who exactly is responsible for the major misses in the draft over the last several seasons. They don't seem like John Schneider picks to me. I think Pete got his fingers in Aunt Bea's pie.
Then he gets on the radio and acts like he has to fix things when he's been in charge for the last 10+ years. Why did that epic defense turn to crap over the last several seasons ? That's Pete's bag baby!!

gmor

Reaction score
This tells me Pete leans Defense with that #5 pick and I would guess John is leaning QB. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Pete deserves some blame or just coaching in general because you've used some high capitol picks and they haven't panned out. Brooks has struggled this year. Collier was a complete bust, Taylor looked bad although he did come on late at least as a pass rusher. They've just struggled drafting on that side of the ball but maybe that changes.
When picking at 5 they would be fools not to put some due diligence on the QB position. If the one they love isn't there or can be had later, trading down could bring the multiple players the DL and OL needs.
NT looks depleted and Poona's money might go to Geno. We might get lucky with the FA route, but luck is a horrible management tool.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
QB is such an overrated position, I will boycott the team if they waste a pick trying to find the next great QB.
its really not. Do you think KC would be perennial superbowl favorites with Jimmy Garappolo? All the teams in the Playoffs right now have stud QBs.

massari

Reaction score
its really not. Do you think KC would be perennial superbowl favorites with Jimmy Garappolo? All the teams in the Playoffs right now have stud QBs.
Mahomes is as overrated as the position he plays. Using high picks on QBs is for suckers. Jalen Carter alone has potential to make teams perennial SB contenders. A great QB prospect like CJ Stroud could never. Waste of a top 5 draft pick.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Mahomes is as overrated as the position he plays. Using high picks on QBs is for suckers. Jalen Carter alone has potential to make teams perennial SB contenders. A great QB prospect like CJ Stroud could never. Waste of a top 5 draft pick.
Provably false, Cortez Kennedy is a HOF'er and we never once sniffed a SB. How many playoff games has Mahomes taken KC to? You don't win Championships without a franchise QB. What QB in the playoffs now isn't a franchise QB?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't put Daniel Jones, Giants QB, in the "stud" category.
and you think they are going anywhere? they aren't. They lucked in the playoffs and have no shot. You're not winning a SB with a JAG QB.

massari

Reaction score
Provably false, Cortez Kennedy is a HOF'er and we never once sniffed a SB. How many playoff games has Mahomes taken KC to? You don't win Championships without a franchise QB. What QB in the playoffs now isn't a franchise QB?
HOF'ers are overrated

Ozzy

Reaction score
I wouldn't put Daniel Jones, Giants QB, in the "stud" category.
I wouldn't either but he is playing much better than I expected right now and seems to be comfortable in Daboll's system. They're a dangerous team right now and it wouldn't shock me if they beat Philly.

chris98251

Reaction score
High pick QB's are rarely ready and get broken more often then not before they acclimate to the league, there are many guys with great skills that are not media darlings. Also many are covered by the all stars of the teams they are on and you don't get a chance to see how their mind works under duress. Find a guy with the skill set, find a way to test his processing skills, leadership and let him grow a bit on the bench learning how to be a Pro. You will also save a ton of cap room since glamour QB's cost you a lot in first contracts and second ones to retain the investment.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
and you think they are going anywhere? they aren't. They lucked in the playoffs and have no shot. You're not winning a SB with a JAG QB.

Jeff Hostetler and the Giants are on line 1, sir.
Brad Johnson on line 2, sir.
Nick Foles on line 3, sir.
Jim McMahon on line 4, sir.
Sir, our office only has four lines. The office next door wants you to know it has Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Jim Plunkett, and Mark Rypien on the four lines there, and all of them would like a word with you.

EDITED to add that Doug Williams and (yes, I'm gonna say it) Joe Namath are in the lobby, sir.

Last edited:

massari

Reaction score
Jeff Hostetler and the Giants are on line 1, sir.
Brad Johnson on line 2, sir.
Nick Foles on line 3, sir.
Jim McMahon on line 4, sir.
Sir, our office only has four lines. The office next door wants you to know it has Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Jim Plunkett, and Mark Rypien on the four lines there, and all of them would like a word with you.

EDITED to add that Doug Williams and (yes, I'm gonna say it) Joe Namath are in the lobby, sir.
Sorta seems Flacco and Foles are the only relevant names to bring up considering the game was so much different decades ago. Even then, Flacco and Foles were both super bowl MVPs

BASF

Reaction score
Hard to know which massari is real. This one or the one that advocated taking two QBs in the first round which is prepostorous.

keasley45

Reaction score
I hope they don't waste a top pick on a QB. The thing I wonder is who exactly is responsible for the major misses in the draft over the last several seasons. They don't seem like John Schneider picks to me. I think Pete got his fingers in Aunt Bea's pie.
Then he gets on the radio and acts like he has to fix things when he's been in charge for the last 10+ years. Why did that epic defense turn to crap over the last several seasons ? That's Pete's bag baby!!

I think the thing folks are missing is the fact that the enture philospohy that Pete started with was building around aggression, attitude, personality... getting 'dogs'. He brought in Chancellor, Beastmode, saw the competitiveness of Sherm and the rest. And i know this is gonna get flamed for bringing up #3, but the team dynamic and that killer attitude was significantky muted when Pete decided to get rid of the 'dog' attituded and personalities on the team that made it what it was specifically because of Russ' psyche.

How many talented AND 'dog' type players have we drafted since 2015? Brooks might qualify but the one thing thats known about him is that hes quiet. Reserved. The alternative that year... Queen - fiery, volatile... a dog. Pete cleaned the cubbards of the of exactly the type of players we need, and then set about making sure he didnt add any back. He kept Bobby and KJ. And added mild mannered defenders who at times were talented, but lacked fire. Theres no way the 'tooth' of the defense just by chance disappeared under a coach that lauded those qualities in the LOB. Its been a deliberate approach of developing a draft profile for players on that side of the ball that WONT rock the boat and create the same kind of positive, but volatile and critical energy that was counterproductive to maintaining his qbs emotional stability.
Getting back to the old ways isnt just about building young. Its about building with fire and attitude.

Im not all surprised by his tone. How many times has he said Geno is 'one of the guys'. Thats not just about his personality and likeability. Its also an indeication that hes the type of guy that Pete no longer has to 'build around'. No more sacrificing players who will call a spade a spade if need be, regardless of whether it's the QB or not.
It's just another indication of just how much the decision to ride with Russ was going into his first contract and certainly his second impacted the trajectory of this team. It affected play calling, philosophy and the very core principles that led to success in the beginning.

Now that that piece is gone, of course he's going to sound like captain obvious. He's known the issue and believed he could coach / inspire / curate a culture 'around' it. Now he can look at the errors with clear eyes and address shortcomings more directly. He's getting back to Pete.
Schneider is thrilled for sure not having his selections vetoed because they won't play well with Pete's prized QB.

Last edited:

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
the offense has promise. and not all is bad on defense. woolen, mafe, nwosu, tre brown have talent and are building blocks.

but pete needs to fire hurtt and give the keys to the defense to somebody fully capable. anything else sends the wrong message. pete simply can't reward clint hurtt with another year. no more linebacker / dline coaches getting bs promotions.

sure, the 3-4 was always going to be a tough transition. we have 4-3 guys like brooks, poona, and taylor they are trying to fit in. it's forcing a square peg in a round hole. adding the necessary 3-4 pieces will take another 2 offseasons of investment and coaching. we really don't even have a 5 tech or long term NT on the roster.

PC needs to admit failure. he knows how far off the defense is. he's been saying it. time to search for a proven commodity at D coordinator. give the proven commodity the keys to the defense and go 100%, 3-4, 4-3, whatever scheme it may be.

Last edited: