Pete on talent issues, scheme compared to 49ers

WmHBonney

Reaction score
This honestly reads like Pete is pissed. I think Hurtt or Desai or both are gone.

If they aren't gone by now, then they aren't going anywhere. Seriously. If they were going to get canned, then it should have happened right after the game.

knownone

Reaction score
Pete's comments pass the eye test. Unfortunately, our defensive line is below average, and we're asking the linebackers to get off blocks and make tackles in wide-open space far too often.

What intrigues me is how Pete and John fix things in the offseason. Do they go after a one-year wonder like Daron Payne, make a move for a veteran in a trade (Vita Vea, Buckner), or bank on a rookie turning things around? At this point, we likely need an established starter and a young guy.

Polk738

Reaction score
Over 100 solo tackles the past two seasons is not only impressive, it's telling to how little help he has around him.
That is definitely more telling than some people may realize, Bobby was also leading the league in tackles his last couple years in Seattle as well and that probably has a lot to do with a few things 1. The lack of talent around him and 2. The defense as a whole not being able to get off the field on third down 3. The constant loses of TOP for the offense thus the defense being forced to play more snaps. Brooks is now in the same boat as Bobby was

SNDavidson

Reaction score
5 Myles Murphy DL
20 Siaki Ika DT

37 Trenton Simpson LB
52 JL Skinner SS

101 John Michael Schmitz C

133 Spencer Anderson G

AgentDib

Reaction score
you've used some high capitol picks and they haven't panned out. Brooks has struggled this year. Collier was a complete bust, Taylor looked bad although he did come on late at least as a pass rusher. They've just struggled drafting on that side of the ball but maybe that changes.
To be fair, there's a huge difference between drafting at the end of the second/first, and drafting at the top of the first. The 49ers had four high first round picks across their DL a couple of years ago due to their intermittent tanking. Drafting Bosa with the #2 overall pick is a success, but also not an opportunity that we've had until perhaps this upcoming off-season.

I do think the FO deserves blame for not emphasizing draft capital enough until the RW trade.

hoxrox

Reaction score
He had to say somebody, so he singled out his best players (even if they didnt really fit the description)

All of us know they arent really "game plan" kind of guys

Which is the point. The defense has trash for talent. Finishing 25th in points allowed is quite honestly a miracle in it's own right

Yeah he had to drop a couple of names. Wasn't going to openly admit, the D is all trash.

But if he's honest with himself, he knows we have no true game wreckers that opponents have to game plan for.

Jamal would probably be the only one when he was healthy and used as a rover / pass rusher.

Steve Hawk

Reaction score
I believe Diggs and Brooks would look a lot better if they had a good supporting cast. They are pretty much out there on their own. I also believe Nwosu will be one of those guys you have to GP for.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
I’m not sure one of our defensive starters would crack the SF lineup. Maybe Woolen. I’m starting to think we’ve over valued a lot of our players. Taylor looks like he plays patty cake with offensive linemen, with no meaningful aggression.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
Brooks has all the intangibles to be a game wrecker like Pete mentioned. The gap of disruptive play between him and Barton is quite large. I think he also was setup for failure this year with constant assignment/alignment mistakes up front allowing free blockers right at him instead of chances to fill the run lane in the backfield. Wagner has the game intellect of a QB but also for most of his career had guys up front that disrupted. Towards the end as DL talent got worse, Wagner routinely was stuck making plays 5+ yards downfield like we saw this year. DL play is generally bad, progressively gotten worse, and unable to impact run or pass.

That said, Brooks wasn't a star and certainly deserves some blame for defensive struggles. Pass coverage was poor. Inconsistency as Pete mentioned rings very true. It really feels like this defense was built to give Adams freedom in Fangio’s scheme to be disruptive from any alignment but they never committed once he got hurt and left them in a bizarre no mans land of wrong personnel and guys routinely out of position.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I disagree with PC on Brooks and Diggs.
Brooks looked like dog shit most the season and diggs looks like he made a few "business decisions" during entire games.

and f Hurtt. Our Dline has been garbage since he's been here and well before he was promoted and working with them.
Okay, I'm going to give you a 22 rifle to go hunting for Rhinos.
Hurtt HAD TO go with the hands (players) that were dealt to him.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
He had to say somebody, so he singled out his best players (even if they didnt really fit the description)

All of us know they arent really "game plan" kind of guys

Which is the point. The defense has trash for talent. Finishing 25th in points allowed is quite honestly a miracle in it's own right
Fix the Front Seven, It's a crappy Front seven, Fix the Front Seven, it's all about the guys up front HELPING THE OTHER FIVE.
I'd wager that those guys KNOW that their time with the Seahawks is about to come to an abrupt end.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score

Absolutely no idea what Barton is doing here but they rushed 3 and still left the 49ers best player wide open across the middle. Even Neal sees it happening in slow motion. These crossers designed by Shanahan ABUSED him over the middle, guy was toying with him. They cannot go into this next season with him as Plan A for starting ILB or even Plan A/B hoping he figures it out more. Just can't, he's a FA and there's plenty of other guys whether FA or draft who should start.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

Absolutely no idea what Barton is doing here but they rushed 3 and still left the 49ers best player wide open across the middle. Even Neal sees it happening in slow motion. These crossers designed by Shanahan ABUSED him over the middle, guy was toying with him. They cannot go into this next season with him as Plan A for starting ILB or even Plan A/B hoping he figures it out more. Just can't, he's a FA and there's plenty of other guys whether FA or draft who should start.

Barton looked lost out there on Saturday. Unfortunately the depth at linebackers was so poor that there was no other option than to keep playing him.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly disagree with Carroll on his impact players.

Brooks, is not a player the opposing team has to scheme around. Brooks get so many tackles cause the front four run stopping is so terrible. Eventually runs break loose and Brooks numbers means nothing. Tackles means nothing when OCs understand Brooks cannot cover. Just run a bunch of quick slants and drags around Brooks and you can totally take Brooks out of position. Brooks cannot cover and that’s his Achilles heel and he gets repeatedly exposed. He may need to revert back to outside linebacker cause middle is asking too much of him.

Diggs, is a hot and cold player. I’d consider Diggs as “inconsistent” and a terrible open field tackler, so I am not worried about him if I’m an OC.

Diggs only want to make plays when they have a possibility of an interception but his willingness or unwillingness to make the crucial tackle is lacking. Maybe his injuries has caught up to him and he’s mentally scared to make the tackle cause this season the guy takes very bad angles and whiffs on arm tackles. That’s not something you can build around. That’s a player you seriously consider cutting or trading but Seattle just extended him so that’s pretty much a loss now.

The two best players on Seattle’s defense is Woolen and Nwosu.

And if obtaining field position is considered defense, Michael Dickson, is Seattle‘s third best defensive player.

These are Seattle’s best players:

Geno
Cross
Lucas
Metcalf
Lockett
Walker
Woolen
Nwosu
Dickson
Myers

Everyone else would be depth players on other teams. Seattle was very fortunate to make playoffs this year with a next to nothing defense. San Fran‘s roster is leaps and bounds more talented than Seattle this year and possibly for another two years or so depending how well Seattle can draft these next few years.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe Jadeveon Clowney is going to be a FA. If the Seahawks want to continue this scheme on defense, then he would be a great fit. He has a strong pressure rate, excellent against the run, and can be an asset in dropping back in coverage. He would complement Nwosu well from Edge/OLB standpoint. He should a target for the Seahawks this offseason should they decide to stay with this course on defense.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Brooks has all the intangibles to be a game wrecker like Pete mentioned. The gap of disruptive play between him and Barton is quite large. I think he also was setup for failure this year with constant assignment/alignment mistakes up front allowing free blockers right at him instead of chances to fill the run lane in the backfield. Wagner has the game intellect of a QB but also for most of his career had guys up front that disrupted. Towards the end as DL talent got worse, Wagner routinely was stuck making plays 5+ yards downfield like we saw this year. DL play is generally bad, progressively gotten worse, and unable to impact run or pass.

That said, Brooks wasn't a star and certainly deserves some blame for defensive struggles. Pass coverage was poor. Inconsistency as Pete mentioned rings very true. It really feels like this defense was built to give Adams freedom in Fangio’s scheme to be disruptive from any alignment but they never committed once he got hurt and left them in a bizarre no mans land of wrong personnel and guys routinely out of position.
Here is the thing though, Brooks didn't look disruptive at all. I saw bigger splash plays from Barton this season than Brooks. Brooks looked just as over matched as Barton did. He has the athleticism but he was extremely slow to get to the play and he was neutralized very easily. He too missed some easy tackles as well. His coverage was also extremely bad.

Both of our linebackers were very bad, and they were arguably just as bad as the D-Line.

balakoth

Reaction score
Curious what peoples problem with Brooks is?

Wagner gets credit while ignoring the rest of the team while he was with us?

Interesting take

bileever

Reaction score
In 2013, the DL had Bennett, Avril, Clemons, Red Bryant, Mayowa, Tony McDaniel and Brandon Mebane. The LBs were Wagner, Irvin, Wright, and Malcolm Smith. So at one point, Pete and John knew how to build a D-line. Unfortunately, it's been downhill from there with a fair amount of bad luck--a lot of wasted draft picks (Collier, Malik McDowell, Jordan Hill) as well as trades that didn't work out (Clowney and Sheldon Richardson) and not great FA signings (Kerry Hyder, Ziggy Ansah, Nkemdiche, etc.). We lost resources when Schneider was unable to re-sign Richardson, Clowney, and Jarran Reed and didn't try to re-work Wagner's contract.

Now it feels like 2010 all over again, starting from scratch, with only a few real assets in the front seven (Nwosu, Taylor and Mafe). It's going to take a great draft, plus at least one solid FA signing (I would say Javon Hargrave, Lavonte David or Daron Payne, although Zach Allen or Dre'mont Jones might come cheaper) and perhaps a trade or two to really beef up the front seven. Not one player that we have up front could start for the 49ers.

Until we change the personnel, I'm not sure we can judge the scheme or Clint Hurtt.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
These are Seattle’s best players:

Geno
Cross
Lucas
Metcalf
Lockett
Walker
Woolen
Nwosu
Dickson
Myers

Hard to argue with that list. Others have potential to be good to very good in the coming years (Brooks, Taylor, Bryant) but I would add Neal and Jackson to that list. Players that may not make the national talking head's discussion but are players who are total complementary and scrappy ballers.

If we remove our emotions and biases (we all have them), you find that the Seahawks actually have more talented players than given credit for. The glaring needs are obvious but that shouldn't blind ourselves to the fact that we have a solid base of talented players already on the roster. More than many teams.