Pete on talent issues, scheme compared to 49ers

mistaowen

Reaction score

So looks like Pete fully acknowledges the talent issue, especially in the front 7, when comparing his defense to the 49ers copy of what he wants to do. Pretty clear he admits the DL is garbage when 2 of the 3 guys he mentions as game wreckers are in the secondary. Hope this means a full thorough cleanse to the roster. Attitude and toughness were things he and Hurtt had mentioned during the losing streak, 'just go make a freakin play'. Really need to get some nasty, disruptive dudes again.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I disagree with PC on Brooks and Diggs.
Brooks looked like dog shit most the season and diggs looks like he made a few "business decisions" during entire games.

and f Hurtt. Our Dline has been garbage since he's been here and well before he was promoted and working with them.

Ozzy

Reaction score
This tells me Pete leans Defense with that #5 pick and I would guess John is leaning QB. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Pete deserves some blame or just coaching in general because you've used some high capitol picks and they haven't panned out. Brooks has struggled this year. Collier was a complete bust, Taylor looked bad although he did come on late at least as a pass rusher. They've just struggled drafting on that side of the ball but maybe that changes.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Good question and encouraging answer from Pete. Now let's see how he and John addresses the front seven this offseason.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Brooks looked like dog shit most the season and diggs looks like he made a few "business decisions" during entire games.

and f Hurtt. Our Dline has been garbage since he's been here and well before he was promoted and working with them.
Yeah Brooks and Diggs would be two of the worst defenders on that Niners defense lol. I think Neal has been better than Diggs and Woolen can be really good but he might be it as far as game changing players on that side of the ball

Ozzy

Reaction score
Pete: "I think Jordyn Brooks is one of those guys."

I don't need to see anymore.
Yeah that's tough to hear. The funny thing a lot of the Pete defenders have pointed to Brooks as proof that they've drafted well in the previous years. Brooks would probably be fine on another team and that highlights another issue for me, the coaching overall from Pete on down for the front 7.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete: "I think Jordyn Brooks is one of those guys."

I don't need to see anymore.

My guess is we'd be impressed with Brooks far more if he had a decent line in front of him like Bobby did for many of his great years here.

Instead we see far too much of Brooks chasing after RB's, TE's and WR's because of blown coverages, and far too much of Brooks chasing down RB's sideline to sideline.

IMO he's an above average starting LB in the NFL, but he's the best part of a horrible front seven, and again would probably make a LOT more plays if he had some talent around him.

Over 100 solo tackles the past two seasons is not only impressive, it's telling to how little help he has around him.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
We’ve been trying to rebuild since 2017 same as them.

Our results have been Brooks. Barton. Adams. Shaquell Griffin. Shaquem. Lj Collier.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree that Brooks nor Diggs are game wreckers like those he mentioned on the 9ers. Brooks has potential to be a very good LB and he did improve as the season went on. Even Pete made a comment that he was starting to think less and react more as he took on the role of QB on defense. It was overwhelming to him at first - hence his lack of playmaking - but he did seem to settle in later in the season.

Diggs, I also agree that he made a few "business decisions" and had some pretty bad drops. He came on towards the end of the season after making the pro bowl. Maybe he felt he needed to step up his game, which of course he did. IF Adams can finally come back and play a full season, the two of them together would be a terrific safety combo. But boy is that a big word...IF.

We have some good playmakers on defense. This is not a massive entire defensive overhaul but primarily a DL overhaul. But yes, in order to compete with the 9ers, the DL has to be addressed heavily in the draft. We need serious run stuffers and edge rushers. Purdy was way too clean and had way too much time to sit back and go over all his progressions.

Despite what some think, Pete is no dummy. He knows what time it is. We are a middleweight young team with major potential. But we are some major pieces in the trenches away from being a heavyweight like the 9ers are at the moment.

Hawkpower

Reaction score

He had to say somebody, so he singled out his best players (even if they didnt really fit the description)

All of us know they arent really "game plan" kind of guys

Which is the point. The defense has trash for talent. Finishing 25th in points allowed is quite honestly a miracle in it's own right

Hawkpower

Reaction score
As others have mentioned, its at least encouraging that he's publically acknowledging it

If "sugar coat Pete" is saying we are far behind in the front 7 talent gap, its safe to say its a priority that's going to be addressed

Nunya

Reaction score
This tells me Pete leans Defense with that #5 pick and I would guess John is leaning QB. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Pete deserves some blame or just coaching in general because you've used some high capitol picks and they haven't panned out. Brooks has struggled this year. Collier was a complete bust, Taylor looked bad although he did come on late at least as a pass rusher. They've just struggled drafting on that side of the ball but maybe that changes.
I would be very, very surprised if anybody is thinking "QB in the early picks". I think that would only happen if they can not agree on a reasonable extension for Geno that will not put us in the same situation we had with Wilson.

James in PA

Reaction score
Translation: "We gave done a terrible, terrible job assembling talent along what is supposed to be my bread and butter: the defense. We have holes everywhere."

Yep, that's encouraging.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Translation: "We gave done a terrible, terrible job assembling talent along what is supposed to be my bread and butter: the defense. We have holes everywhere."

Yep, that's encouraging.
The 2022 draft was encouraging.

And now they have capitol to work with.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score

I think its scheme, he was great prior to Hurt taking over. the only change is a crap scheme and a questionable new DC

NoGain

Reaction score
I think it might have been Joe Fann who used this phrase to describe Jordan Brooks's defensive output: A whole lot of empty calorie tackles. Just rang true to me. He never sticks out as making real aggressive tackles for loss, or stuffing the line of scrimmage, or intimidating receivers crossing the middle, and the like. Empty calorie tackles was a perfect description for me. Lots of tackles, but not memory producing ones, impact ones.

As for Diggs, I honestly don't see why we paid him what we did to keep him last off season. He was pretty invisible coming off his injury for like 3/4's of the season. He did come on at the end a bit, but really, these guys as your alphas?

I thought Taylor might be a keeper, not an all-star type, but at least a mostly reliable pass rusher in certain situations. Then he kind of regressed the first half of the season.

The defense is a mess, with the exception of the secondary. There is some reason for hope there. Woolen, of course, but also Neal, Bryant, Jackson, and a healthy Brown. We've got other fires to put besides there.

Fade

Reaction score
My guess is we'd be impressed with Brooks far more if he had a decent line in front of him like Bobby did for many of his great years here.

Instead we see far too much of Brooks chasing after RB's, TE's and WR's because of blown coverages, and far too much of Brooks chasing down RB's sideline to sideline.

IMO he's an above average starting LB in the NFL, but he's the best part of a horrible front seven, and again would probably make a LOT more plays if he had some talent around him.

Over 100 solo tackles the past two seasons is not only impressive, it's telling to how little help he has around him.
Brooks is roasted over and over on passing downs. No LBer has surrendered more yards in coverage than Brooks over the last 2 seasons.

Opponents view him as a weak link and look to attack him on the regular in the passing game.

Brooks is a liability. The defense got better when he went out.