Pete for coach of the year

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
What is it going to take for Pete to finally be recognized as coach of the year? Yet another season with a winning record and double digit wins, yet another season where they have exceeded expectations. And if not Pete, then who is more deserving? Belichick? Shanahan? Payton?

cymatica

Reaction score
I bet Harbaugh or Shanahan, you know, because Pete isn't an X and Os guy and Wilson is the reason for his success. But Wilson won't win MVP because Petes coaching made a great team around him :roll:

Rat

Reaction score
Coaches with sustained success don't win Coach of the Year; it just goes to the coach of the best team that was expected to suck. The Patriots have 17 straight 10 win seasons since Belichick took over, including six Super Bowl wins in nine appearances, and he only has three of those things, with the last coming in 2010. In this past decade Garrett has as many as Belichick, Carroll, Tomlin, Reid, and Payton combined.

Rat

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2vmja9p7 said:
The Seahawks moving to the east coast is what it'll take.
Yep, just like the teams of the three NFC West head coaches who have won the award in the past eight years did.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Rat":2rxnh3zd said:
Coaches with sustained success don't win Coach of the Year; it just goes to the coach of the best team that was expected to suck. The Patriots have 17 straight 10 win seasons since Belichick took over, including six Super Bowl wins in nine appearances, and he only has three of those things, with the last coming in 2010. In this past decade Garrett has as many as Belichick, Carroll, Tomlin, Reid, and Payton combined.

How true!

COY winners seem to get canned shortly after their awards as well.

HawkGA

Reaction score
My guess is Harbaugh gets it, with Tomlin also a possibility.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The Seahawks would have had to be 2-14 or something last year. You have to go from worst to first to be seriously in the Coach of the Year convo.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Rat":2vo9oqfs said:
RolandDeschain":2vo9oqfs said:
Yep, just like the teams of the three NFC West head coaches who have won the award in the past eight years did.
Let's see, we have...

1) The "your team moved to Los Angeles and you replaced the perennially underachieving Jeff Fisher after we fired him late in the first season in L.A. award" given to Sean McVay in 2017 for his sheer brilliance of taking a fairly talented roster to 11-5.

2) Then we have the "legacy won a bunch of Super Bowls in the 80s and 90s team then you got hired and turned a 6-10 team into 13-3 in your first season as head coach so this is the rapidly turning around another talented roster award".

3) Finally, we come to the "sorry you missed the playoffs at 10-6 finishing 3rd place in the NFC West last year, but you finished 11-5 this year and lost in the wild card round and oh by the way your story of taking over for Chuck Pagano when he got cancer was just the most heartwarming thing so we're taking that into consideration too, award".

In summary, Rat, for Seattle's Pete Carroll to win this award, we'd have to move to...not near Alaska. This award isn't based on being a great coach it's about coming up with a great narrative for a single season.

Rat

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1i1zpc1r said:
Rat":1i1zpc1r said:
RolandDeschain":1i1zpc1r said:
Let's see, we have...

1) The "your team moved to Los Angeles and you replaced the perennially underachieving Jeff Fisher after we fired him late in the first season in L.A. award" given to Sean McVay in 2017 for his sheer brilliance of taking a fairly talented roster to 11-5.

2) Then we have the "legacy won a bunch of Super Bowls in the 80s and 90s team then you got hired and turned a 6-10 team into 13-3 in your first season as head coach so this is the rapidly turning around another talented roster award".

3) Finally, we come to the "sorry you missed the playoffs at 10-6 finishing 3rd place in the NFC West last year, but you finished 11-5 this year and lost in the wild card round and oh by the way your story of taking over for Chuck Pagano when he got cancer was just the most heartwarming thing so we're taking that into consideration too, award".

In summary, Rat, for Seattle's Pete Carroll to win this award, we'd have to move to...not near Alaska. This award isn't based on being a great coach it's about coming up with a great narrative for a single season.
Yeah, that's basically what I said in this thread, several times. It goes to the appearance of the biggest turnaround in that particular season.

xray

Reaction score
If he couldn't win with the SB victory ; he probably never will .

Mad Dog

Reaction score
xray":2vqcjmaz said:

Voting is always done before the playoffs so SB winners are never included in consideration. It's a regular season award. Best coach in the playoffs gets a Lombardi trophy.

Anyways, if we get to 13-3 or better, this year will be Pete's finest as a coach. Well maybe the Beastquake year also. But after losing or purging the remnants of SB 48 save Russ, Bobby and KJ and taking a bunch of rookies and second year players and winning tight game after tight game. That's superior to anything Shanahan has done with his bevy of high picks.

Turning around a team by getting top ten picks year after year shouldn't be rewarded but expected. Turning over a winning franchise into a winning franchise while never having a losing season should be given more credit. But it never seems to suit the media narrative.

So Shanahan will get the major considerations. As will McDermott in Buffalo. And probably LaFleur in GB. Because losing team to winning team is the better narrative than keeping a team winning through a rebuild. Even though the latter is far more difficult.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Just like I said in the thread about what if will take for Russ to win MVP, Hell will have to freeze over....Twice!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1vgxzky3 said:
xray":1vgxzky3 said:

Voting is always done before the playoffs so SB winners are never included in consideration. It's a regular season award. Best coach in the playoffs gets a Lombardi trophy.

Anyways, if we get to 13-3 or better, this year will be Pete's finest as a coach. Well maybe the Beastquake year also. But after losing or purging the remnants of SB 48 save Russ, Bobby and KJ and taking a bunch of rookies and second year players and winning tight game after tight game. That's superior to anything Shanahan has done with his bevy of high picks.

Turning around a team by getting top ten picks year after year shouldn't be rewarded but expected. Turning over a winning franchise into a winning franchise while never having a losing season should be given more credit. But it never seems to suit the media narrative.

So Shanahan will get the major considerations. As will McDermott in Buffalo. And probably LaFleur in GB. Because losing team to winning team is the better narrative than keeping a team winning through a rebuild. Even though the latter is far more difficult.
You left out Harbaugh in Baltimore. Good call on McDermott.
I think, barring a late season collapse Harbaugh gets it for changing their entire offensive approach. I believe what Pete has done is every bit as impressive but it wasn't done on the East coast and that knocks him down the list.

blazen2392

Reaction score
While Pete has heated up he's also had some pretty bad games this season. His 2 min clock management and wasted TOs comes to mind, as well as his refusal to unleash Wilson earlier this season and stick to Peteball.

I personally think it should go to Sean Peyton. His starting QB went down and he still dominated for 4 games.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
blazen2392":30o92rnz said:
........I personally think it should go to Sean Peyton. His starting QB went down and he still dominated for 4 games.
While I don't agree with the first part of your post, I do agree Payton definitely deserves consideration. Good call.