Pete Carroll contract extension

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1sz69ubc said:
Wonder if the Bears want Ditka back since he won them a Super Bowl 40 years ago? How did the Seahawks front office ever let Holmgren go? He took us to a Super Bowl and the team was really bad before him. Whatever, whatever. I just will never understand the free pass Pete gets because the team sucked 30 years ago crowd. As for deep runs in the playoffs, hasent happened since 2014. 1st and 2nd round bounces arent deep runs. Throw in a NFC championship game once in awhile and then i'm board, but until then, lets call it like it is. I wish those early exits were flukes, but its become the normal pattern. Hope everybody is content with that because it appears theres lots more of that to come.

How can a free pass be given to someone who's continuing to be successful.

That's an oxymoron, "free pass" insinuates Pete's failing...........and he's one of the most successful coaches in the league, in fact he's #2 behind Belichick for tenure and success.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2yuyjjjc said:
pittpnthrs":2yuyjjjc said:
Wonder if the Bears want Ditka back since he won them a Super Bowl 40 years ago? How did the Seahawks front office ever let Holmgren go? He took us to a Super Bowl and the team was really bad before him. Whatever, whatever. I just will never understand the free pass Pete gets because the team sucked 30 years ago crowd. As for deep runs in the playoffs, hasent happened since 2014. 1st and 2nd round bounces arent deep runs. Throw in a NFC championship game once in awhile and then i'm board, but until then, lets call it like it is. I wish those early exits were flukes, but its become the normal pattern. Hope everybody is content with that because it appears theres lots more of that to come.

That's an oxymoron, "free pass" insinuates Pete's failing...........and he's one of the most successful coaches in the league, in fact he's #2 behind Belichick for tenure and success.
The implication is, "What have you done for me lately?"

Pete is successful, second behind Belichick as you said. However Bill has six rings on top of winning records and his teams almost consistently go deep into the playoffs (not looking so good this year but that team is in shambles).

Pete, for the most part, has had great teams too, and from 2012-2015 he had, by far, one of the most legendary rosters any coach could ask for and only won 1 Super Bowl at that time and since 2014 has never made it past the Divisional Round.

Whereas Bill always seems to deliver or get damn near close, Pete is coasting off a SB win from seven years ago. Yes he brings in winning records, which is always good, but then we start to see other glaring problems in his coaching style. He can't close out games. They make stupid mistakes, let inferior teams stay in games, fail to advance in the playoffs, or keep coaches that are not doing your team any favors.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Last few years, Pete sticks with the formula that gave him success in the past. "The game has past him, and he needs to adapt to the new NFL!"

Pete comes into the year with an eye to adapting his defense to the realities of today's NFL. "Pete needs to go back to what got him here, a more aggressive defense!"

I say, let's see how this new look team is sitting at the end of the season, before making any rash judgements.

As far as the contract, it's meaningless. It's not like it prevents the team from firing him whenever they want to.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Success is relative to reasonable expectations.

A number of examples are frequently given about teams that would love to have the success Carroll has driven for us.

But what is the expected success of a team with a reasonable roster and a HOF QB?

Is it regularly flaming out in the playoffs like we have done the past half-decade?

It feels like Pete's best days are behind him. We still have some great regular seasons coming, including this one.

But the days of doing anything worthy in the playoffs are likely over unless there are changes. I don't see those changes on the horizon. So I don't see changes in our results.

Pete is a very good coach. But even with a HOF QB, he isn't able to get this team to do anything exceptional in the playoffs. This is because he clings to poor performers in his coaching staff. He shields and supports them.

When Pete said that they had no idea the Bills would pass...that was the job of Norton to pound the table to address plus plan for. The failure was not Pete's but Kenny's for not doing his job.

I don't see any reason to expect anything different from Pete for the next five years, because we know what he was like the past five years. If anything, he held Wilson back.

Pete has delivered a lot of success for this team. But when you finally land on a great HOF QB, that every team would covet, you need to do better than just wildcard wins in the playoffs. You need to be able to outcoach people like Jason Garrett. You need to produce wins against the better teams in the playoffs.

Since our SB loss, Pete has done none of these things and there is no reason to expect that would change. I hoped the new offense would change things but not with Kenny dragging down the entire team in a role he is overmatched in.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":kajtb27t said:
Sgt. Largent":kajtb27t said:
pittpnthrs":kajtb27t said:

Pete is successful, second behind Belichick as you said. However Bill has six rings on top of winning records and his teams almost consistently go deep into the playoffs (not looking so good this year but that team is in shambles).

Pete, for the most part, has had great teams too, and from 2012-2015 he had, by far, one of the most legendary rosters any coach could ask for and only won 1 Super Bowl at that time and since 2014 has never made it past the Divisional Round.

Whereas Bill always seems to deliver or get damn near close, Pete is coasting off a SB win from seven years ago. Yes he brings in winning records, which is always good, but then we start to see other glaring problems in his coaching style. He can't close out games. They make stupid mistakes, let inferior teams stay in games, fail to advance in the playoffs, or keep coaches that are not doing your team any favors.

How's Belichick doing this year without Brady?

Maybe he's not the genius we all thought he was for the past 20 years, maybe you actually do need things like the greatest QB in NFL history, and play in a dumpster fire of a division easily winning year and year setting yourself up to make SB's every other year.

Conversely, maybe playing in the toughest division in football for the better part of Pete's entire tenure has made it much harder to match Belichick's SB appearances.

You guys can crap on this extension all you want, but save this thread for when Pete's gone, because we will never be as successful as we are now.

themunn

Reaction score
Prior to last season Andy Reid was 2-7 in playoff games over the previous 10 years. In other words in the last 10 years had only won 2 playoff games.

Pete Carroll over the last 10 years has only had 2 years where he DIDN'T win a playoff game.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ng3j3y0s said:
Seahawk_Dan":ng3j3y0s said:
Sgt. Largent":ng3j3y0s said:
pittpnthrs":ng3j3y0s said:

How's Belichick doing this year without Brady?

Maybe he's not the genius we all thought he was for the past 20 years, maybe you actually do need things like the greatest QB in NFL history, and play in a dumpster fire of a division easily winning year and year setting yourself up to make SB's every other year.

Conversely, maybe playing in the toughest division in football for the better part of Pete's entire tenure has made it much harder to match Belichick's SB appearances.

You guys can crap on this extension all you want, but save this thread for when Pete's gone, because we will never be as successful as we are now.

You're kinda avoiding my general point of my post.

Even if you want to say that Pete is the actual better coach and Belicheck needed Brady to succeed, well, if that is true and Bill needed Tom, an inferior coach still won multiple Super Bowls, AFC Championship titles, and other accolades. I'm not talking about "skating through an easy AFC East" and padding stats, they still had to play some of the best teams in the AFC in the playoffs and the NFC Champion in the Super Bowl and six times came out the victor.

Pete has his own HOF QB and had a defense that was the stuff of legends for a few years and he still only got one Super Bowl out of it? He still gets eliminated every Divisional Round?

The problem with Pete is his subsequent stubbornness. Trying to fit the square peg in the round hole and giving jobs to his friends and keeping them even when they're failing to provide results. Pete does win and gets many seasons with double-digit wins but for the last few years something has been wrong and his inability to properly address the defense and instead trying to band-aid it during the regular seasons and instead invest money into players and a capital not needed shows his priorities are wrong, or he's having a difficult time evaluating what the team needs to succeed.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It basically boils down to whether you want a high floor but are OK with a low ceiling.

Or

You want to take a risk, hire someone like Eric B and see if they can leverage Wilson's greatness to get further in the playoffs than we have been.

The risk is, removing Carroll might be like removing George Karl. It CAN get worse (not on defense apparently).

Munn made a comment about Reid not doing well in the playoffs. But the moment he got Mahomes, he suddenly started winning more and won it all. Mahomes and Wilson are often compared, and somewhat similar in terms of ability + results. So Carroll has had a Mahomes type for the past five years, he just has not done much with it since the SB loss.

Carroll will always give you wins in the regular season. But it is pretty unlikely for him to do much in the playoffs, the past five years show that. Unless we play a decimated Eagles team limping into the playoffs, we are only getting wildcard wins. (Unless we have the LOB in the wings)

It is nice to know every regular-season game is a possible win. Most teams do not get that. But we also know we aren't doing much in the playoffs. If you are OK with that, you are all onboard the Carroll train.

If not, you are willing to take a risk to see if someone can do more with what we got because we won't have Wilson forever. And then, are you willing to throw what we have away for a 10%-15% chance we hire a good coach and go to more SBs or at least better playoff results with him?

That feels more like personal preference than anything. There probably isn't a right answer and since he was already extended, this is what we got and likely what we can expect.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":30mbcxso said:
The problem with Pete is his subsequent stubbornness. Trying to fit the square peg in the round hole and giving jobs to his friends and keeping them even when they're failing to provide results. Pete does win and gets many seasons with double-digit wins but for the last few years something has been wrong and his inability to properly address the defense and instead trying to band-aid it during the regular seasons and instead invest money into players and a capital not needed shows his priorities are wrong, or he's having a difficult time evaluating what the team needs to succeed.

Pete's fired plenty of coaches and coordinators, and he has changed his approach, as evident by this year allowing Russ to cook, to the detriment of him getting hammered, sacked and hit at the highest rate in his career.

My point is what Pete and John have built cannot be replicated, it just can't. It's not only a win factory, we're now one of the top 2-3 destination enviable franchises in the entire league. It's how we get free agents, and guys like Adams and Dunlop to accept being traded here, and stay long term, and defer money until next year, and wait for contract extension. Because they love what Pete's doing.

It's the culture, the environment, the entire organization from top to bottom. That ALL evaporates the minute Pete walks out the door.

For what? Another retread coordinator, or someone within the organization like Schotty? That's not an upgrade, it's a SIGNIFICANT downgrade.

hawker84

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":14xfq421 said:
I'm clearly in the minority, and that's fine. I'm glad they signed him to an extension. I'm sure I'll get roasted for having a positive opinion, but I'm happy to see the best coach in team history can leave when HE decides to. My opinion and I should be able to have one w/out getting roasted for it. But, I'm sure I'll get told that I accept losing, am crazy etc.....par.....course.

I absolutely respect your position. We dont agree, and that's ok. whatever happened to being able to repectfully disagree?

I've been calling for Pete's head for 4 years now, nothing I've seen this year has changed that. But that's just my opinion...

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3uar14k4 said:
pittpnthrs":3uar14k4 said:

Depends on what your measure of success is. If making the playoffs only to be bounced in the 1st or 2nd round is your goal, Pete is your man and the Hawks are your team. Its going to be more of the same this season. Now we have one of the worst defences of all time due to Pete and the FO ignoring the obvious issues. Pete squandered a dynasty and the team has regressed since 2014. Its time for a change before Russ falls out of his prime. I would rather go 0-16 trying something different than living with the same outcome year after year. This team will never sniff another Lombardi as long as Pete Carroll is here.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
2019 - beat the heavily injured Eagles lost to the Packers
2018 - lost to the Cowboys
2017 - Did not qualify for play-offs
2016 - beat the Lions lost to the Falcons
2015 - beat the Vikings, lost to the Panthers

John63

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2tlod8cy said:
2019 - beat the heavily injured Eagles lost to the Packers
2018 - lost to the Cowboys
2017 - Did not qualify for play-offs
2016 - beat the Lions lost to the Falcons
2015 - beat the Vikings, lost to the Panthers

That's the point and in almost every case it was PCs hard head, and unwillingness to adjust, and play to his players strengths.

Even last game, nearly every snap till the end was with 5 seconds or less left on clock giving defense a huge advantage, sound familiar. No outlet, no check down, now blitz beaters, no screens. None of this happened till the end.

There was a HUGE difference in the Buffalo and AZ game and the first 5 or 6. He has regressed in some ways.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Maybe this will give Pete the longer term stability to make a move at DC in season. If you are in the final year of your contract it probably doesn't make sense to make an in season coordinator change, but if you know you now have 4-5 more seasons...………..maybe it makes sense to make an in season move for someone, you know, that might be available. :)

NJlargent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1j393k45 said:
Sgt. Largent":1j393k45 said:
pittpnthrs":1j393k45 said:

Depends on what your measure of success is. If making the playoffs only to be bounced in the 1st or 2nd round is your goal, Pete is your man and the Hawks are your team. Its going to be more of the same this season. Since then we have one of the worst defences of all time due to Pete and the FO ignoring the obvious issues. Pete squandered a dynasty and the team has regressed since 2014. Its time for a change before Russ falls out of his prime. I would rather go 0-16 trying something different than living with the same outcome year after year. This team will never sniff another Lombardi as long as Pete Carroll is here.

The play, and then Carroll’s handling of the aftermath, is the major downfall of the potential dynasty. Since then we have just rode the RW train as far as it can take us, which is the divisional round. Factor in the drafts and the most recent head-scratching ignoring of the DL (yet pick up Adams) and here we are with an embarrassing defense

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
NJlargent":3v5utrub said:
pittpnthrs":3v5utrub said:
Sgt. Largent":3v5utrub said:
pittpnthrs":3v5utrub said:

Depends on what your measure of success is. If making the playoffs only to be bounced in the 1st or 2nd round is your goal, Pete is your man and the Hawks are your team. Its going to be more of the same this season. Since then we have one of the worst defences of all time due to Pete and the FO ignoring the obvious issues. Pete squandered a dynasty and the team has regressed since 2014. Its time for a change before Russ falls out of his prime. I would rather go 0-16 trying something different than living with the same outcome year after year. This team will never sniff another Lombardi as long as Pete Carroll is here.

The play, and then Carroll’s handling of the aftermath, is the major downfall of the potential dynasty. Since then we have just rode the RW train as far as it can take us, which is the divisional round. Factor in the drafts and the most recent head-scratching ignoring of the DL (yet pick up Adams) and here we are with an embarrassing defense

Exactly

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":10p0kbgv said:
Sgt. Largent":10p0kbgv said:
pittpnthrs":10p0kbgv said:

Depends on what your measure of success is. If making the playoffs only to be bounced in the 1st or 2nd round is your goal, Pete is your man and the Hawks are your team. Its going to be more of the same this season. Now we have one of the worst defences of all time due to Pete and the FO ignoring the obvious issues. Pete squandered a dynasty and the team has regressed since 2014. Its time for a change before Russ falls out of his prime. I would rather go 0-16 trying something different than living with the same outcome year after year. This team will never sniff another Lombardi as long as Pete Carroll is here.
Pete Carroll has taken this team as far as it is going to go. His ability to build a program is to be commended, but that alone won't get us where we need to be. Carroll's defenses have been slipping every single year since our last Super Bowl appearances. In almost every category we've been going downhill since 2015, this year is just a continuation of that. We thrown a lot of draft capital, and money at the defense for a diminishing returns year after year. It is arguable that we under-performed in the years following our 2014 Super bowl appearance as well.

This type of performance is unacceptable from a man that is heralded as a defensive guru. For the last three to four years now we've been the among the worst defenses in football. It's the Russell Wilson show that is holding up the team at this moment. Pete is indeed a great motivator but I think it is fair to question his overall contribution to the team at this point in time. I think team organization, and culture are huge pluses, but his negatives at this point are stark. If we had QB that was playing at any level below MVP we'd probably only have one or two wins right now. At this point in time I think that the organization really should've started planning a post Pete era Seahawks. I think it's time he took a step back from football, it has been abundantly clear that he can no longer keep up with the modern game. It happened to guys like Holmgren, guys like Ditka, and other great coaches.

At this point in time all we can hope for underneath Carroll is a wildcard football game win, and a swift exit in the divisional round.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Everybody still on board with that extension now?

Latest posts