Hawks Coach Sean Desai Hired by Eagles, Per Pete Carroll

Jville

Reaction score
OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
That means the defense might be the same last season.

I'm thinking it more likely means they will build on and evolve from last year. And there are a lot of personnel changes in the making.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
What a blow to the organization.

It's unfathomable and unforgivable that the team chose Clint Hurtt over Desai.

With each passing day, Carroll's control on this team falters. What a shame to allow this to happen.

I'm disheartened and angry. Good luck in Philly brotha, you will be missed.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
We still don’t really know who “ran” this defense…

One could say, it is Clint Hurtt but what Carroll said sounds like Desai has some say in things.

Clint Hurtt as we said here chose the 3-4 defense and it didn’t work but what we don’t know is, if the principles and schemes ran by Hurtt clashed with what Desai wanted. And maybe that’s why it didn’t work? And maybe that’s why Carroll wanted or opt to keep Hurtt.

We honestly don’t know and can only speculate.

I’m not surprised Desai left, honestly, I was surprised when Seattle picked up Desai to begin with.

Maybe it’s for the best and we shall see who really holds the reins on the defense if it is proven to be Hurtt.

And if Hurtt blows again this year than bring in another talented coach the following year.

There are talented defensive coaches out there and we’ll just have to snag one.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

With each passing day, Carroll's control on this team falters. What a shame to allow this to happen.

This seems kind of crazy to say without a deeper understanding of the organizational dynamics of the team. We simply don't have enough information to make this kind of declaration.

Desai's been known to run that 2 man front everyone hates here. Penny gashed the Bears for almost 200 when he was their DC.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score

As I recall, the chronological order was ...... Hurtt promoted to defensive coordinator and given "full autonomy". Desai and Karl Scott were brought in for Hurtt's first year as DC in 2022.

Desai got caught without a gig when the music stopped during last years coaching equivalent of musical chairs. Creating a position for Desai was a class act by the Seahawk organization.

Much thanks to Desai for his 2022 contributions and best wishes for his next endeavor with the Eagles.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
Thank you Sean Desai for your contribution to the Seattle Seahawks during your time here I wish you the best of success in your new position except when we’re playing you, let’s continue to keep a great relationship

nwHawk

Reaction score
Thank you Sean Desai for your contribution to the Seattle Seahawks during your time here I wish you the best of success in your new position except when we’re playing you, let’s continue to keep a great relationship
Bump

balakoth

Reaction score

How was it a blow? Our defense wasn't special and what do you know of what role he had in anything.. and if he did.. it sure wasn't a great result

Polk738

Reaction score
Honestly IMO, the more people they clear out that had anything to do with that garbage "Fangio" scheme the better, if you look at some of the worst defenses in the league this past season IE, Lions, Vikings, Chargers, they all had coordinators from Fangios tree, I really don't understand the obsession with Sean Desai.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Honestly IMO, the more people they clear out that had anything to do with that garbage "Fangio" scheme the better, if you look at some of the worst defenses in the league this past season IE, Lions, Vikings, Chargers, they all had coordinators from Fangios tree, I really don't understand the obsession with Sean Desai.
This is how I feel. It's not like we're losing Dan Quinn. I think we should have dumped more than one coach from the defense.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't "get" thanking Desai for his possible contributions to a not-good defense in which we don't really know exactly what his role was.

Either Desai was "contributing" significantly, and so he's partially responsible for the 2022 Seahawks defense (and I don't see any Seahawks fans thanking Hurtt for the performance of the 'Hawks defense in 2022), or he wasn't, and in that case, there'd be no reason to thank him even if the result had been good.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't "get" thanking Desai for his possible contributions to a not-good defense in which we don't really know exactly what his role was.

Either Desai was "contributing" significantly, and so he's partially responsible for the 2022 Seahawks defense (and I don't see any Seahawks fans thanking Hurtt for the performance of the 'Hawks defense in 2022), or he wasn't, and in that case, there'd be no reason to thank him even if the result had been good.
Desai was largely responsible for coaching the secondary, which was a top 10 unit in key metrics last season even with two starting rookies.

Front seven? Run defense? Ranked 30th. Talent matters here, but Hurtt's scheme and gameday playcalling wasn't good.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Desai was largely responsible for coaching the secondary, which was a top 10 unit in key metrics last season even with two starting rookies.

Front seven? Run defense? Ranked 30th. Talent matters here, but Hurtt's scheme and gameday playcalling wasn't good.

Where the notion came from that Desai was the defensive backs coach is a mystery to me. The defensive passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach was and is Karl Scott.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Where the notion came from that Desai was the defensive backs coach is a mystery to me. The defensive passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach was and is Karl Scott.

He wasn't officially the DB coach with the title, but he worked closely with the DBs and was involved in their development.