Pete Carroll contract extension

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I was hoping this would be his last year. Grateful for all he has done but we have been regressing for years. Kind of on a treadmill - yes, a treadmill where we make the playoffs and lose in the first round - but still a stalled team. We are no threat this year to advance in the playoffs if we even make it. Nor were we last year etc etc. The Eagles game was a fluke.

He is horrible at evaluating assistant coaches and holds on to them sometimes years too long to the detriment of the team. IF the offense or defense is playing bad people here say that the assistants are only following Pete’s directions. If true Then Pete needs to go.

Bad drafts, bad play calling. The game has passed him by.

We Will not even get to the Super Bowl again under PC. So, to me, these are solid but ultimately disappointing years. Yes, better than a losing record but that might actually spur some much needed change.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Fade":3lerxafn said:
The Packers fired their head coach for making NFC Championship games.

When you have a HoF QB the standard isn't making the playoffs, it's Superbowls.

Rewarding Pete when he has the worst defense in NFL history shows ownership is severely lacking. I would've waited to extend Pete until the end of the year, talk about jumping the gun.

If he fires Norton? Extend him. If he keeps Norton? No extension for you, Petey. In fact he my need a psychological evaluation if he keeps Norton on board. Sheer lunacy!

This is well said. Green Bay fired Mccarthy (who won a Super Bowl years ago) and now are the best team in the NFC.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
This sucks. We’ve peaked under Pete. Not winning a SB under him. Later this year our defense will “turn the corner” against Giants, Jets, Redskins and we’ll be sold Snake Oil of progress heading into the playoffs when no progress has in fact been made.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete needs to step back a few feet and look at how the league has adjusted to his defense, he is still wanting to force it on the defense to save things, ever since they stopped being bully's and started being hope you make a mistake defense we have faltered. Petes scheme relies on aggression. Yes it will take sucking up a few penalties if you stay with what made him successful. If not then you need to adapt the scheme to a different mindset and staff it accordingly.

I think taking a hit once in a while by playing Man more would be a start, we have Safety's that are very good, we have CB's that are long and stout, there is no reason to play soft zone all the time.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":b4izf89p said:
Pete needs to step back a few feet and look at how the league has adjusted to his defense, he is still wanting to force it on the defense to save things, ever since they stopped being bully's and started being hope you make a mistake defense we have faltered. Petes scheme relies on aggression. Yes it will take sucking up a few penalties if you stay with what made him successful. If not then you need to adapt the scheme to a different mindset and staff it accordingly.

I think taking a hit once in a while by playing Man more would be a start, we have Safety's that are very good, we have CB's that are long and stout, there is no reason to play soft zone all the time.

I agree with this post. We dont have the aggressive position personnel for his old scheme. We NEED new blood to do that same thing that brought us wins and a Strong defensive Strategy to win. It will take a year now to get that ingrained into the players, but that can be done.

We do have the trainers to instill it....if they will let them in to play ball. Hopefully they can.

SF80

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
An extension for Pete shows me the owners have no clear vision on where to go moving forward. How I hoped Russ could have a different staff before he tapered off, but guess thats not the case. Shame he will never smell another Lombardi in his career.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Signing him to an extension right as the defense falls completely off a cliff and we get blown out is a clear case of buying high. It's not like we're competing for his services or he put a gun to the team's head.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
I just wonder how Russ feels about this behind the scenes. He will say the right things and “do Russ” but I have to wonder his thoughts.

Laying in bed, shooting shit with his wife about “work”. Essentially Russ is going to let Pete define his career. I’m sure there is a thesis in there somewhere that Russ will write in his memoir.

Pete has done great things for us but... man... unless he changes (he won’t) his loyalties and approach we are going to be spoiled with wins in regular season and early exits in post season.

I also agree with the vision on ownership quite possibly lacking in this extension.

xray

Reaction score
Team owner Jody Allen clearly shows loyalty to Carroll but not to the future success of the team . A 1 year extension would of been more than sufficient . IMO

JustTheTip

Reaction score
xray":ghfevr6d said:
Team owner Jody Allen clearly shows loyalty to Carroll but not to the future success of the team . A 1 year extension would of been more than sufficient . IMO

I would have preferred a field pass so he can attend practice and motivate any time he wants and a new desk chair since he would be spending more time there in his now uninterrupted front-office capacity.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm clearly in the minority, and that's fine. I'm glad they signed him to an extension. I'm sure I'll get roasted for having a positive opinion, but I'm happy to see the best coach in team history can leave when HE decides to. My opinion and I should be able to have one w/out getting roasted for it. But, I'm sure I'll get told that I accept losing, am crazy etc.....par.....course.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xray":22so7wz4 said:

The team is 6-2, leading their division and poised to make another deep playoff run, of which Pete has only failed to do twice in his 11 year tenure as the Hawk's coach.

Why would Jody Allen not give an extension to one of the most successful coaches in the league, who's also one of the league's great leaders of men.

Idk how old some of you guys are, but I don't think you know how good we have it right now. We are smack dab in the best era of Hawk football of all of our lifetimes, the likes of which we will never see again once Pete's gone.

Pete can coach my team for as long as he wants, because I remember what it used to be like.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1cjjxcwo said:
xray":1cjjxcwo said:

The team is 6-2, leading their division and poised to make another deep playoff run, of which Pete has only failed to do twice in his 11 year tenure as the Hawk's coach.

Why would Jody Allen not give an extension to one of the most successful coaches in the league, who's also one of the league's great leaders of men.

Idk how old some of you guys are, but I don't think you know how good we have it right now. We are smack dab in the best era of Hawk football of all of our lifetimes, the likes of which we will never see again once Pete's gone.

Pete can coach my team for as long as he wants, because I remember what it used to be like.

Preach. Totally agreed. I remember '92, and the rest of the 90s. It's so nice to sit down on Sundays now. There are concerns, and I don't undermine my Hawk brethren who voice those concerns, but I also get an idea of their Seahawk age. Yesterday's signing made my day because I know we'll be in contention for 5 more years. Is John Schneider locked up too?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This team gets worse the moment Pete leaves.

I cannot imagine a team owner not taking this risk despite his age. He has produced more success than any other coach this franchise has had.

The math by itself almost assures that the next coach we have will not accomplish near what Carroll has.

Not clear what the handwringing would be unless we had someone in the wings that might be a better coach.

God help us if Schotty or Norton ended up in that role, so for now we just hope Carroll keeps coaching here.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Holy hell, SO many bad years..... This fanbase has seen an amazing run by this team for the last decade.
I like to think that a lot people appreciate just how good we have it in Seattle. Just step back and look at other franchises. Very few can match what the Hawks have done over the last decade.
Plus, they made the Super Bowl 3 times in 10 seasons (once w/Holmgren, twice w/Pete). That's pretty impressive in the age of free agency etc. imo. And look at the crap roster that Pete was left with? That quick turnaround was nothing short of incredible.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2mkrak3v said:
xray":2mkrak3v said:

Yeah! What he said ^^^^^^

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just thought about the 2-14 season...….immediate stomach ache. Or the mediocre 7-8, 8-8, 9-7 seasons over and over again. Or the 8-8 season where they flip flopped with 2 wins, 2 losses etc. the entire season. The ultimate mediocre team. The Mora(n) season...…... :pukeface:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Wonder if the Bears want Ditka back since he won them a Super Bowl 40 years ago? How did the Seahawks front office ever let Holmgren go? He took us to a Super Bowl and the team was really bad before him. Whatever, whatever. I just will never understand the free pass Pete gets because the team sucked 30 years ago crowd. As for deep runs in the playoffs, hasent happened since 2014. 1st and 2nd round bounces arent deep runs. Throw in a NFC championship game once in awhile and then i'm board, but until then, lets call it like it is. I wish those early exits were flukes, but its become the normal pattern. Hope everybody is content with that because it appears theres lots more of that to come.

LTH

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2s8oprum said:
Wonder if the Bears want Ditka back since he won them a Super Bowl 40 years ago? How did the Seahawks front office ever let Holmgren go? He took us to a Super Bowl and the team was really bad before him. Whatever, whatever. I just will never understand the free pass Pete gets because the team sucked 30 years ago crowd. As for deep runs in the playoffs, hasent happened since 2014. 1st and 2nd round bounces arent deep runs. Throw in a NFC championship game once in awhile and then i'm board, but until then, lets call it like it is. I wish those early exits were flukes, but its become the normal pattern. Hope everybody is content with that because it appears theres lots more of that to come.

Every year this team is is position to be in the playoffs... the NFL is the most competitive sport in the world.. Carroll keeps this team competitive... just ask the fans in Cleveland or New York or Chicago they would all LOVE to have Carroll.. you guys are just plain spoiled... No other way to say it...

LTH

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":22ct54pt said:
We get winning records consistently with Pete, which helps his case, and going to back-to-back Super Bowls and winning one also pads your legacy status.

Pete has been a good coach for Seattle, one of the best if not the best no doubt and that can't be taken away, but now we're living off of what he's done in the past and accepting 10-6 or 11-5 records, which are great, but mean nothing if you're booted out of the Wild Card or Divisional Round every single year for the past six years.