Pete Carroll Consolidating Control over team?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":10cbxjji said:
I'm honestly a huge fan of the moves this offseason.

Carroll and Co. have gotten weak in terms of sticking to the Carroll philosophy. Too much autonomy was given to coordinators and Cable in particular, it seems, and Carroll is refocusing the coach roster in an attempt to get back to having a completely cohesive coaching staff. Everyone on the same page.

Solari is more traditional and can coach both zone and man blocking. As it was said above, no more "Cable guys" with minimal experience that he wants as a blank slate. Schottenheimer has coached some great rushing attacks with minimal talent and Solari, who is scheme-versatile, can work with Schottenheimer to craft a more balanced offense that can rush at will.

Schottenheimer offenses seem to emphasize balance, despite the absolute lack of talent he's had throughout his career. While he has experience as a QB coach and is fluent in gameplanning for the air game, he has proven his mettle as a coordinator who can provide a good rushing attack. Overall results have lacked, just as the talent he's provided with has. We'll see what he can do in Seattle with an all-pro level QB.

As for the defense, Norton is what's needed. He isn't a master strategist or play-caller, but he is a motivator of elite caliber and his guys will run into the fire at his command. That's what Pete needed, a guy to rally the troops. Norton's lack of proficiency X and O's wise lead me to believe Pete is reining in the defense and taking more control over it, while Norton is there to provide attitude and a voice consistent with Pete's vision for the D.

I love how Pete is changing the staff to align with his vision - as long as Pete gets back to his philosophy, and it is a WINNING philosophy, I expect improvement.
Agreed ^

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
There's no conspiracy, Pete appears to be doubling down and right now that disappoints me. I wanted to see a creative offense with motions, misdirection, innovative play designs to make it easier for Russ and our other offensive players to get open and make plays.

We will definitely be seeing that kind of offense at least four times a year...

Seymour

Reaction score
adeltaY":2all0dr1 said:
There's no conspiracy, Pete appears to be doubling down and right now that disappoints me. I wanted to see a creative offense with motions, misdirection, innovative play designs to make it easier for Russ and our other offensive players to get open and make plays.

Several of us warned about the offense being Pete's as much as Bevells. Expecting that to change much was a long shot IMO. 2 more years and I suspect there will be a good shot for the flavor of the week offense.

Hell, if they can build a good screen and running game and fix the oline, I'll consider that a big improvement myself.

StoneCold

Reaction score
adeltaY":2u44fdbm said:
So, with these hires, I'm seeing this opinion a lot around twitter and reddit and am curious as to what y'all think.

The idea is that Pete hired people who won't question his decisions about philosophy/scheme and maybe personnel. Rex Ryan gave a great interview on Brock and Salk today and the story he used to describe Schotty highlighted his loyalty to the HC. To summarize, the Jets were playing Detroit and Rex said they should run the ball at least 40 times. Turns out, the Lions stacked the box and the Jets couldn't do it and ended up down 21-0. Rex asked Schotty what they were doing and he said he was committed to running 40 times like Rex said but that he also believed the Jets O could throw on the Lions. Rex got the offense together and asked them if they wanted to follow the original plan or win and they players naturally said win, so he told Schotty to change to the hurry-up and throw it and the jets forced OT and won.

This story shows how loyal Schotty is to the HC's plan. One huge plus was that Austin Davis said Schotty will bring us a consistent screen game, which we desperately need. With Ken Norton, the argument is similar. Pete has Ken in to motivate/inspire, but the defense truly belongs to Pete. Basically, Pete is going down doing it his way.

The question is, is this what's happening and if so, will it work? If they can fix the OL and get younger/healthier on defense, I don't see why not, BUT this is the opposite of the evolution many of us were calling for, myself included. Curiously, of the teams remaining in the playoffs, three run creative offenses. The Pats are obviously the Pats and they're always on the cutting edge, the Vikings under Shurmur do an excellent job of mixing things up, and the Eagles use motions, RPOs, cool WR sweeps, among many other creative concepts. The Jags are probably what Pete wants us to be. Not sure they're very creative, but they outmuscle the opposing defense with their RB and OL and smother opposing offenses with an incredible defense.

This says more about what a terrible coach Rex is than how bad an OC Schotty is. The coaches are subordinate to the head coach.

Rainger

Reaction score
How does Pete "consolidate" control over the team when he has always had control? It was part of his hire and the relationship with the FO. He is Executive VP of football operation. He has final decision on all matters regarding the team. He has nothing to "Consolidate".

Rainger

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":5qkh0n8i said:
KitsapGuy":5qkh0n8i said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953127698410303488[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953127389071994880[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953128347625664514[/tweet]

1) What Scott is he referring to?

2) While his much-ballyhooed source may be real, there really isn't anything in here that any semi-intelligent fan couldn't have inferred on their own.

3) He's contradicting himself now; he said earlier that DeFillippo didn't want to come to Seattle.

#fakenews

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Down Under Hawk":yu3zvvti said:
How does Pete "consolidate" control over the team when he has always had control? It was part of his hire and the relationship with the FO. He is Executive VP of football operation. He has final decision on all matters regarding the team. He has nothing to "Consolidate".

This ^^

Only way he could have more control is to fire Schneider and take over the GM duties himself.

I just see this as Pete going with guys he knows, trusts and will continue to operate with his vision in mind.

TBH, I have no problem with his vision and basic tenets. Other teams like Minnesota and Jacksonville run under similar tenets. They are doing pretty well this year. Because in the end it's all about the horses.

When Pete and john started this mission, the credo was bigger, stronger, faster. I think they need to go back and get some big nasty fast players, coach em up and unleash them on the NFL. We've gotten a little softer especially on offense with the likes of P-Rich, Lockett, Graham, Prosise, Joeckel. Too much emphasis on speed rather than bigger & stronger.

Pete's system works best when you dominate the line of scrimmage, Force your agenda and then use your playmakers when the opponents will is sapped. Screaming 12's only intimidate when the team intimidates as well. It's symbiotic.

So as much as I think the players need a reboot from the coaching side of things, Pete and John need to get back to "Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Louder"

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
adeltaY":1caphhii said:

Pete is the type that doesn't believe in innovation. Like Holmgren (ironically), he believes in playing "our brand of football" because simplicity unburdens players and lets them play better. Doesn't matter what they play if they can't stop you anyway. Execution trumps innovation and all that.

I'm more open to that idea on defense than I am on offense. But there is talk out there that Kris Richard diversified the defense too much over the last few years, got it away from simplicity that empowers players, and that it needs to get back to its 2013-2014 roots.

As for the offense...well, it was so bungled by Cable and failure to secure a solid RB that it's hard to judge much of anything.

chris98251

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2y1nlmkh said:
adeltaY":2y1nlmkh said:

Pete is the type that doesn't believe in innovation. Like Holmgren (ironically), he believes in playing "our brand of football" because simplicity unburdens players and lets them play better. Doesn't matter what they play if they can't stop you anyway. Execution trumps innovation and all that.

I'm more open to that idea on defense than I am on offense. But there is talk out there that Kris Richard diversified the defense too much over the last few years, got it away from simplicity that empowers players, and that it needs to get back to its 2013-2014 roots.

As for the offense...well, it was so bungled by Cable and failure to secure a solid RB that it's hard to judge much of anything.

You say secure a solid RB, we have had those Lynch, Ware, Collins, I will add Rawls and Davis and Carson, they have shown they can play whether here or somewhere else, Lynch defied logic because he was so unique in his style and determination.

Saying you can't run the ball without Earl Campbell, Jerome Bettis, Marshawn Lynch, or Jim Brown in your backfield would be really saying you failed as a Run offense unless you have a Hall of Fame Punisher as a RB.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
I agree this next season is Pete's Hail Mary.

As someone else in this thread said, if he's going down he's going down his way.

I admire that. I also would rather see him stage a remarkable coaching comeback and return our team to some version of its former glory...