Pete Carroll Consolidating Control over team?

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
He told PA that he is "All In" at the end of the season. So I believe he'll honor his contract.

Gruden is out. But once Pete does retire, we'll see what happens with Harbaugh and Saban.

lukerguy

Reaction score
"Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you." John Wooden

I love Pete, but I'm concerned with this direction. People have used "Yes Men", and it seems fitting.

My question is why can't coaches argue with you, but ultimately follow the lead and direction you call for.. If you can't get them to do that, isn't that a lack of leadership on his part?

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953157427326738432[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953157682906546176[/tweet]

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":15ntl2p7 said:
"Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you." John Wooden

I love Pete, but I'm concerned with this direction. People have used "Yes Men", and it seems fitting.

My question is why can't coaches argue with you, but ultimately follow the lead and direction you call for.. If you can't get them to do that, isn't that a lack of leadership on his part?

I am seeing this a lot with respect to comments on these hires. People make a huge (read most likely false) presumption and then, asserting that presumption is true, turn it into some referendum on Pete. The fact is someone can share a vision and philosophy with another and still challenge/question them. There is zero reason to create a false dichotomy here.

original poster

Reaction score
I don't like the term 'yes men' at all, it undermines the coaches somewhat and gives the impression that any old body off the street could do what they're doing and just say 'yes sir' to everything PC dictates. Utter nonsense IMO.

What Pete wants is people who share his philosophy and can preach it in a positive way to the players. Let's be honest, Pete's philosophy obviously works. Look at his success here. He is likely the best coach the Seahawks will ever have, hope that isn't true, but it's certainly possible.

Regardless of when Pete decides to retire (my bet is after the 2019 season, once his contract is up) he will leave this team in damn good shape.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3pcxwm6m said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953127698410303488[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953127389071994880[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953128347625664514[/tweet]

1) What Scott is he referring to?

2) While his much-ballyhooed source may be real, there really isn't anything in here that any semi-intelligent fan couldn't have inferred on their own.

3) He's contradicting himself now; he said earlier that DeFillippo didn't want to come to Seattle.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":355mqns3 said:
Does anyone think Cable got too much of a hold over the team?.

He certainly had too much control over the run game, O-line and most importantly draft and development of the O-line.

Pete trusted Cable, and it backfired. So it only makes sense he's now hiring coordinators that know EXACTLY how he wants things run, on both sides of the ball.

Will it work? I have no idea, but for a coach with only two years left on his contract? Sure as hell makes sense, if Pete's going to go down, he's going to go down doing what he trusts.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I wish Carroll would take more control over the draft process. Schneider and his guys deserve a share of the blame for not drafting players like Ryan Ramczyk & Joel Bitonio, and instead drafting a 2nd center (Pocic), Rees Odhiambo, etc. So many linemen brought in by the scouting department have been horrible (Tobin, Sowell, Aboushi, Webb, etc.).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1140xv41 said:
I wish Carroll would take more control over the draft process. Schneider and his guys deserve a share of the blame for not drafting players like Ryan Ramczyk & Joel Bitonio, and instead drafting a 2nd center (Pocic), Rees Odhiambo, etc. So many linemen brought in by the scouting department have been horrible (Tobin, Sowell, Aboushi, Webb, etc.).

I think you will see Carroll take over now that Cable's gone. Should be no more "Cable guys."

Solari is a more traditional line coach, with more traditional blocking schemes............which should help simplify what we need out of our lineman.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2dr4ksf3 said:
KitsapGuy":2dr4ksf3 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953127698410303488[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953127389071994880[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/953128347625664514[/tweet]

1) What Scott is he referring to?

2) While his much-ballyhooed source may be real, there really isn't anything in here that any semi-intelligent fan couldn't have inferred on their own.

3) He's contradicting himself now; he said earlier that DeFillippo didn't want to come to Seattle.

I mean I'm very far from believing everything this guy says... BUT in regards to #3, in theory that could be precisely why he didn't want to come here

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm honestly a huge fan of the moves this offseason.

Carroll and Co. have gotten weak in terms of sticking to the Carroll philosophy. Too much autonomy was given to coordinators and Cable in particular, it seems, and Carroll is refocusing the coach roster in an attempt to get back to having a completely cohesive coaching staff. Everyone on the same page.

Solari is more traditional and can coach both zone and man blocking. As it was said above, no more "Cable guys" with minimal experience that he wants as a blank slate. Schottenheimer has coached some great rushing attacks with minimal talent and Solari, who is scheme-versatile, can work with Schottenheimer to craft a more balanced offense that can rush at will.

Schottenheimer offenses seem to emphasize balance, despite the absolute lack of talent he's had throughout his career. While he has experience as a QB coach and is fluent in gameplanning for the air game, he has proven his mettle as a coordinator who can provide a good rushing attack. Overall results have lacked, just as the talent he's provided with has. We'll see what he can do in Seattle with an all-pro level QB.

As for the defense, Norton is what's needed. He isn't a master strategist or play-caller, but he is a motivator of elite caliber and his guys will run into the fire at his command. That's what Pete needed, a guy to rally the troops. Norton's lack of proficiency X and O's wise lead me to believe Pete is reining in the defense and taking more control over it, while Norton is there to provide attitude and a voice consistent with Pete's vision for the D.

I love how Pete is changing the staff to align with his vision - as long as Pete gets back to his philosophy, and it is a WINNING philosophy, I expect improvement.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I don't believe for one second the KR and Bevell had free reign in their play calling. If that were true why did it take so long for everyone to get their pink slips? Those assistants were doing what Pete wanted them to do. They got tossed because there was no denying the results anymore and apparently PA didn't want Pete to go.

The fact that Pete wants to be a run first team and doesn't use a full back at all or a blocking TE is absolutely asinine. I will hold my tongue until after FA and the draft but as of right now I'm not sure I see any improvement to the team yet.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3m5dbvnc said:
I don't believe for one second the KR and Bevell had free reign in their play calling. If that were true why did it take so long for everyone to get their pink slips? Those assistants were doing what Pete wanted them to do. They got tossed because there was no denying the results anymore and apparently PA didn't want Pete to go.

The fact that Pete wants to be a run first team and doesn't use a full back at all or a blocking TE is absolutely asinine. I will hold my tongue until after FA and the draft but as of right now I'm not sure I see any improvement to the team yet.

Interesting take, but this is Petes last chance it's either going to work or it isn't and he'll be gone.

I'd be happy with 2 SB's I'd say that's successful.

D

DomeHawk

adeltaY":1g960k1g said:
Rex Ryan gave a great interview on Brock and Salk today and the story he used to describe Schotty highlighted his loyalty to the HC.

As soon as I heard this I knew it would be the topic of a Seahawks.net thread. I get it though, people are concerned that Pete is so stuck in his ways that he will doggedly stick to a pound-it-out offense whether we have the personnel to do it or not. I don't think that is the case.

I think these hires have more to do w/hiring hiring real football coaches than that. Personally, I was ecstatic when I heard KN Jr. was coming back, I think KR was a little too soft for elite-D egos.

Ultimately, the blame for any organization falls on the HC's head so that is his prerogative and at this stage of the game he wasn't about to gamble on someone. Pete has a formula but what he really wants to do is compete/win. Who can argue w/that?

These are real professionals, we'll be fine.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Danny Darko":3v00tp7v said:
The original Defense was all Carroll's scheme... I have no problem with him wanting a guy who runs what Pete wants run to a T in Norton.

Schotty isn't exciting, but he'll commit to running and he won't likely run a HB draw 90% of the time on 3rd and long.

People freaking out that the head coach is guys who will blindly run his philosophies, but what do you want out of a head coach? Just the head of human resources and challenge flag monkey?
Yep, Pete has PROVEN that he has enough Moxie to win a Lombardi, and challenge for another.
So he should do what? relinquish control of his HC responsibilities, just to appease a few piss & moaners?? :pukeface:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":2z46nie7 said:
lukerguy":2z46nie7 said:

I am seeing this a lot with respect to comments on these hires. People make a huge (read most likely false) presumption and then, asserting that presumption is true, turn it into some referendum on Pete. The fact is someone can share a vision and philosophy with another and still challenge/question them. There is zero reason to create a false dichotomy here.
Yes, but, he only wants to surround himself with "Yes Men", fits with their negative beliefs of Pete Carroll...They've picked up that Incomplete Pass, and are going to continue running with it.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I'm confused, did Pete not have complete control before? I've never heard any reports of friction between Pete and Bevell, or any anecdotes about Bevell arguing with a direction Pete wanted to go in. And if the stories of XLIX are true, it was Pete's idea to throw from the 1, and Bevell went with it. So where is this "consolidation of power" stuff coming from? He's always had it.

It's weird, we've spent years calling for offensive coaches' heads because their product on the field sucked, and now that they're gone we think it's part of a vast conspiracy. Don't overthink it. Bevell and Cable were sent packing because they're offense only declined after Lynch left to the point where it finally cost us the playoffs. And now Pete is bringing in guys with similar philosophies but fresh eyes. I don't think there's much more to any of this.

Sheesh, we haven't even lost a game in 2018 yet and we're already spouting some Alex Jones "deep state" nonsense. We wanted Bevell gone, we got it. I'll continue to trust the only coach in Seahawks history to hoist a Lombardi.