Our offense looks sorry this year

cajunhawk

Reaction score
The biggest thing I saw that gave me cause for concern...it's 3rd and 1...we try a run up the middle and we don't get it. Roll the dice...go for it on 4th...and we do the exact same thing that didn't work before, when they are set up to stop it...and we have one of the most elusive QB's the game has ever seen, and several good short yardage receivers who know how to get open in space and make the tough catches. Sometimes I want to take Darrell Bevell on a long ride off a short pier.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
I don't think topic starter is over-reacting at all. Hopefully this boils down to just pre-season stuff but Russ looking a little "slow and pedestrian" is concerning! So is the fact that our starting offense not being able to score! How about the fact the our starting D minus only Kam allowed the Vikings with a backup QB to move down the field!
I myself am a bit more optimistic but I can't even begin to convince myself that Christine Michael will ever be anything more than a pre-season warrior! Starter he is not, heck I'm not even sure he's a competent back-up and Rawls is great but I don't see him completing a season!

Laloosh

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":fa8grmsm said:
I don't think topic starter is over-reacting at all. Hopefully this boils down to just pre-season stuff but Russ looking a little "slow and pedestrian" is concerning! So is the fact that our starting offense not being able to score! How about the fact the our starting D minus only Kam allowed the Vikings with a backup QB to move down the field!
I myself am a bit more optimistic but I can't even begin to convince myself that Christine Michael will ever be anything more than a pre-season warrior! Starter he is not, heck I'm not even sure he's a competent back-up and Rawls is great but I don't see him completing a season!

I'm confused by your comment about Rawls. The guy got rolled up. Nobody avoids that injury if their leg gets caught under a 300lb gorilla.

AVL

Reaction score
If you want to panic, the question should be "What the hell happened to our home field advantage?"

I know this game doesn't count, but we've been losing way too many home games.

lukerguy

Reaction score
austinslater25":34ffz9ni said:
It's the preseason, this means nothing. We've been as efficient as any offense in the league the past four years. Enjoy the ride.

It means nothing from an overall standings perspective but I think how the team plays means something. For example, if we couldn't run the ball at all without Lynch, it would be disconcerting. In the same regard, the timing and sacks Russ is taking is disconcerting.

As long as we can run the ball, plays will open up from there, but Russ needs to get the ball out on time like he did second half of last year. I'm not overly worried, but it does mean something.

If Russ had 4 TDs and 400 yards in two Pre season games, you would probably say that it meant something as a good sign for future. I'm encouraged with our run game, and not encouraged with our pass timing and penalties.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Laloosh":1vvnch7p said:
SpokaneHawks":1vvnch7p said:

I'm confused by your comment about Rawls. The guy got rolled up. Nobody avoids that injury if their leg gets caught under a 300lb gorilla.
My comment about Rawls is just my personal opinion that he is a little "undersized" for an every down back. Even though he's listed as only 10-15 lbs less than Lynch was, he wears it differently. I hope to be proven wrong, but I question his NFL durability when coupled with his hard nosed running style. His ankle injury was not his only injury last year either, if I'm not mistaken, I recall something earlier in the season that took him out for a bit?

Also, I and everybody else realize that pre-season games don't count but I also know Pete Carrolls system doesn't allow the team to not try and win every game, pre-season or not, Pete wants a victory!!! People saying "doesn't matter, doesn't count", are overly optimistic IMO! Pete Carroll is evaluating every position, yes, but he also would like to win the game!

Laloosh

Reaction score
^^ I don't recall an injury prior to the ankle. I suppose that I interpreted your comment as his ankle injury being the major indicator of being injury prone or lacking durability. Either way, I'm all for people having their own opinion and sharing it :)

I'm not thrilled about the preseason results either but I won't lose any sleep over it unless the regular season games start to look like this (particularly in the first half of the season where we need to pile up some wins this year).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":3oyqq337 said:

Any knee jerk reaction to a pre-season game is overreacting.

Offenses play vanilla base formations, and defenses play vanilla base formations.

If you want to complain about stuff like mental mistakes, penalties, poor tackling, bad snaps........stuff like that? Sure, that's real and a problem if it persists because it means these guys aren't correcting things in the film room and at practice.

But complaining about two veteran groups not performing like they should when they haven't even scratched 10% of the schemes and formations in their playbook because they're evaluating talent and communication? That is over-reacting.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
cajunhawk":14hefkkf said:
The biggest thing I saw that gave me cause for concern...it's 3rd and 1...we try a run up the middle and we don't get it. Roll the dice...go for it on 4th...and we do the exact same thing that didn't work before, when they are set up to stop it...and we have one of the most elusive QB's the game has ever seen, and several good short yardage receivers who know how to get open in space and make the tough catches. Sometimes I want to take Darrell Bevell on a long ride off a short pier.

Are you saying maybe we shouldn't have run it from 2nd and goal at the 1? :lol:

But really, both of those plays were on Collins. He had plenty of room to run for the first, but for some inexplicable reason he chose to run to the only 2 foot area of the field where he didn't have a prayer of making a yard.... twice....in a row.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I am a bit concerned by the fact that the starting offense has not put up points so far this preseason and Russell hasn't looked all that sharp. Not panicking, but noticing a few issues.

Hawkfiend

Reaction score
It's just gonna take some time for the offense to gel, just like last year. This is a rebuilt offensive line that played one of the best defensive fronts in football, not an easy task. I think once Russ and the line get the communication down for blitz pickups etc, they'll be fine. Starting out with Miami and LA is going to be tough, I'm not expecting the offense to score a ton of points against either of those teams.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Remember last year?

We never seem to hit stride until a month or two into the season.

So for second game of the preseason it literally means nothing.

Be worried if it's like this in mid October, not August.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Some Eeyore posts here. The sky isn't falling yet, and most everyone of the limitations observed are fixable with the #1 roster playing.

I hate preseason games.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Ironicallly, I am less concerned about the offense than the middle of the field on defense seemingly being picked apart with 5 yard routes vs a zone defense. I have yet to see the defense adjust to allowing teams to dink and dunk like Shaun Hill did.

At the same time, my expectations for the defense are so sky high and lowered for the offense, that I was excited to see how good the offensive line played. I was begging for a veteran offensive lineman (Evans looks done), someone to replace Jordan Hill (McDaniel) and finding a way to justify keeping Pope and Goodley on practice squad and shedding Paul Richardson and Tharold Simon, but my patience level is not as high for some players.

As far as the offense, Seattle looks very good when it's not 1st and 20, 2nd and 17 or 3rd and 15+.....each of the first half drives had killer penalties....On offense, we looked good with Goodsey, Lawler at times and also found Christine Michael.

The key to the whole season is Prosise.....if he can get healthy, Seattle will roll.

sc85sis

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":3t8ush5x said:
Laloosh":3t8ush5x said:
SpokaneHawks":3t8ush5x said:

My comment about Rawls is just my personal opinion that he is a little "undersized" for an every down back. Even though he's listed as only 10-15 lbs less than Lynch was, he wears it differently. I hope to be proven wrong, but I question his NFL durability when coupled with his hard nosed running style. His ankle injury was not his only injury last year either, if I'm not mistaken, I recall something earlier in the season that took him out for a bit?

Also, I and everybody else realize that pre-season games don't count but I also know Pete Carrolls system doesn't allow the team to not try and win every game, pre-season or not, Pete wants a victory!!! People saying "doesn't matter, doesn't count", are overly optimistic IMO! Pete Carroll is evaluating every position, yes, but he also would like to win the game!
I find it unlikely that Rawls will be an every down back. Pete has never really gone that way, even when Marshawn was the main guy. We still had Turbin in often on third down.

Now we have Rawls and C-Mike, plus Procise and who knows who else. It's clear we're going to more of a running back committee than focusing on a single player. This is consistent with Pete's approach at USC. Even during the Reggie and LenDale days, other guys (primarily Desmond Reed and Hershel Dennis) would get spot duty.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The running game has looked pretty solid. The staff seems to be shuffling a whole lot of players in and out even with the starters so the lack of continuity probably doesn't help the rhythm. Last night the receivers dropped a lot of balls and Russell looked like he was coasting too.

Hawkfiend

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":2lvtqwzp said:
The key to the whole season is Prosise.....if he can get healthy, Seattle will roll.

Wow, I think he'll be a good 3rd down back but key to our season? I don't think so. The guy hasn't even played a snap in NFL yet, that's some high expectations.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
austinslater25":1owiua21 said:
It's the preseason, this means nothing. We've been as efficient as any offense in the league the past four years. Enjoy the ride.

BS Practice how you want to play, we look like trash its ok to admit it, we have played against two playoff teams, thats the only saving grace. I've watched every preseason game our offense looks the worst i've seen.