Our Defense is worse than you think

Tinymac2

Reaction score
The charts main driver would be takeaways versus giveaways but I haven’t looked it up. Who is this guy?

The chart has no forward indicators and doesn’t show trend. It’s also from a random point in the season.

We knew it would be tough with Frank and Earl gone and Reed out for 6. The D has room for improvement but I think the whole team needs to up their game each and every play. Kickers and special teams included.

In conclusion, the chart showed the Defense “was” worse than some thought but “is” not.

OP
OP
Scorpion05

Scorpion05

Reaction score
rcaido":11rjqjn5 said:
Scorpion05":11rjqjn5 said:
rcaido":11rjqjn5 said:
Scorpion05":11rjqjn5 said:
Yea sorry, this is the definition of what they call "SPIN" in politics. This logic presumes that the Seahawks are the only team turning the ball over. Every other team is judged the same way. So yes, 176 point is HORRIFIC. Without Russ, we'd be crap.

If you, and others doubt that, let's take a look at some numbers in comparison.

The Seahawks have had only 8 turnovers on the season. Then there's Russ' pick 6, and Metcalf and Carson's fumble return TD.

The Patriots have also had 8 turnovers on the season. By my brief count, two of those were Tom Brady fumbles returned for a TD. The Patriots have only allowed 48 points. FORTY EIGHT, LOL

The Chargers have had 12 turnovers on the season. At the very least, I know that Rivers lost a fumble for a TD against the Steelers. The Chargers have only allowed 141 points

The Browns have had 14 turnovers on the season. Fourteen. Baker has also had a pick six. The Browns have only allowed 156 points.

The Buccaneers have had 13 turnovers on the season. Jameis alone has had three pick sixes. Guess how many points the Buccaneers have allowed? 185 points. So seven points more than the Seahawks. That's sad.

Here are some others:

The 49ers have allowed 64 points, despite Jimmy G's pick six, and 11 turnovers.

The Jets have allowed only 156 points. I don't think I need to bring up Darnold's turnovers. And the ineptness of that offense.

The Rams have allowed 164 points, with 12 turnovers and at least 1 fumble return for a TD by Goff that I can recall.

I can go on. But let's stop with the excuses. There is Zero excuse for 176 points.

Sorry this is the definition of being lazy. You just cant add points to the defense because the person decided to be lazy and omit points that was not given.

I decided to do it myself.

There has been
13 Fumble Tds
17 Int Tds
4 Kick Return Tds
2 Punt Return Tds

I broke it down on the teams that were affected by it.

Bucsx2 = 185 -14 = 171
Browns = 154 -7= 147
Dolphins x3 = 211 - 21 = 190
Saintsx2 = 147- 14 = 133
Jets x3 = 156 - 21 = 145
Redskins x2 = 176-14= 162
Patriotsx3 = 48 - 21= 27 geezus
Bengals = 186 - 7 = 179
49ers = 64 - 7 = 57
Colts= 138 -7 = 131
Packers = 139 - 7= 132
Bills = 91 -7 = 84
Cardinals =192 -7 = 185
Seahawks x4 = 176 - 28= 148
Rams = 164 -7 = 157
Giants =187 - 7= 180
Lions = 160 - 7= 153
Broncos x2 = 136 - 14 = 122
Falcons =223 - 7 = 216
Chargers = 141 - 7 = 134
Jaguars = 148 - 7 = 141
Eagles = 186 - 7 = 179
Ravens = 156 -7 = 149

So instead of the Seahawks ranked 24th, they are actually ranked 18. I put * on teams that only played 6 games so far. So in reality they are ranked 16 as we can assume Jets & Browns will give up at least 3pts next game. Then there are the Colts, Stealers, & Panthers are pretty close too...If they give up at 16pts next week, Seahawks could be as high as 13. Big difference, stop being lazy.

#1 Patriots 27pts
*49ers = 57pts
*Bills 84pts
*Bears 105pts
Titans - 112 pts
Broncos - 122 pts
Vikings - 123 pts
Cowboys - 124 pts
*Colts - 131 pts
*Stealers -131 pts
Packers -132 pts
Saints - 133 pts
*Panthers - 133 pts
Chargers - 134 pts
Jaguars -141 pts
*Jets -145 pts
*Browns -147 pts
# 18 Seahawks - 148 pts

Your argument fell apart the moment you tried to pretend 148 points is good, or even average considering the circumstances. Even worse, you call my argument lazy when I actually included overall turnovers, as well as examples of which teams were affected as part of my argument. Great spin there.

You compared our defense to the Jets and Browns. Another weak argument, since neither has a winning record. If this is your argument, despite the turnovers and ineptness of both teams, you're in no place to call anyone's argument lazy.

Oh, and speaking of lazy arguments, the Seahawks are top 5 in time of possession. The other teams in the Top 5? Winning teams, with good to great defenses. The 49ers, Ravens, Patriots, and Packers.

So not only are the Seahawks ranked low in turnovers overall, they're elite in time of possession. And your weak argument is that, despite that...our defense is ranked "16th," or "18th?" LOL. Yea, okay.

If you're going to call someone's argument lazy, at least ATTEMPT to cross reference data. I've now given you time of possession, in addition to turnover metrics from before. The defense should NOT be giving up that many points given low turnovers and time of possession. Period.

And for those who are resistant to the argument Russell is the only reason for our success to this point...he's had only one turnover on the season. He's had to overcome our poor defense, Carson's fumbles, questionable special teams, a still struggling O-line, and poor coaching decisions. If the opposite was true, and Russell was playing average, many of you wouldn't hesitate to give the rest of the team all of the credit

Its lazy because you included points that was not given up by the defense....

148 points is good enough to be 13th best in the NFL. That's an average of 21.1pts a game. That is at least average and not poor.

As for turnovers & time of possession, you sure love to cherry pick. For one we are not even in the top 10 in turnovers this year. As for time of possession, yes we are in the top 10 in time of possession and so are the #9Saints, #10Packers, & #14Colts points allowed.

Not sure why you're comparing Seahawks to the top 5 team defense.

Dude, literally every defense in the league is judged by points allowed. Anyone can argue that there are unique circumstances. Even with your argument of the pick 6 and return fumbles, there are other scenarios too. Such as blocked punts and teams who can’t convert 3rd downs. Giving the opposing offense great field position and hurting their defense.

There is no one cherry picking here more than you. You’re clearly stubborn and intent on winning the argument rather than owning up to when you’re wrong. The defense should NOT be giving up that many points and yards even given the minimal overall turnovers by our offense, and time of possession. Seriously, it’s not that hard. You’re finding every angle to spin this as if you play on the defense yourself. Or you have a family member playing for the defense. It’s really not personal, it’s just clear and obvious to any objective person that our defense is struggling and arguably below league average.