OK, so who's going to get traded?

Basis4day

Reaction score
King Dog":1pny8orz said:
I think it's borderline delusional personally to think we could get anything in return for Thurmond. Maybe if he stayed healthy this entire year, but that's a big if.

There were posters who thought we could trade Matt Flynn to the Jets for Revis because they needed a QB.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
SeaTown81":20641m9d said:
Don't mean to kill your buzz. But I don't see any trades. The guys on the team who'd fetch something in a trade, aren't going anywhere. And the fringe guys who look intriguing, yet might not make it here, won't fetch anything. Teams will simply sit and wait to see who the Hawks cut.

And really now. You don't bounce a proven cog like Baldwin for preseason flashers. Come now.

Totally agree.

If they DO trade anyone, it will be a former starter or role player that isn't going to make the team, and they likely will trade him for another player who was going to be cut (the Kelly Jennings for Clinton McDonald trade, for example).

But we aren't going to see these preseason flashes-in-the-pan traded or any of the solid contributors like Baldwin.

mikeak

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3ki7ywmq said:
Jeron johnson, Maxwell, and Thurmond are would be starters on some teams is a 7th worth it to loose such high quality depth? I say only if we know we r cutting them and that their replacement is not a big drop off.

This is exactly it. Say you think Turbin is slightly better than Michael but you would cut Ware (JUST AN EXAMPLE)

So do you cut Ware for nothing knowing he won't go on PS or do you trade Turbin get a fifth rounder, don't loose much / anything with your backup guy and still have a very good third guy

mikeak

Reaction score
Basis4day":1ohy94px said:
King Dog":1ohy94px said:
I think it's borderline delusional personally to think we could get anything in return for Thurmond. Maybe if he stayed healthy this entire year, but that's a big if.

There were posters who thought we could trade Matt Flynn to the Jets for Revis because they needed a QB.

We could have they just wanted someone like RW as well........

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Well more like if the coaches think Guy is going to be cut but he is only a shade below Johnson. They might dish Johnson who has some value (5th-7th) and keep Guy around as a good but not quite JJ good.
Now is Guy almost as good as JJ. Im not sure yet.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I think Johnson could start on a few teams, Guy? he's struggling to make the back up spot on teams like he is with this one.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Watching the Jags, and they are not anything close to deep. If they can guarantee that they can get a guy like Byron Maxwell with a seventh-rounder instead of taking their chances on getting to him in free agency, they will do it.

I don't expect lots of trades, but I do think we will get back a couple of seventh-rounders for one or two guys that teams really want to get without having to compete with other teams in FA.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2rlvf1r9 said:
Watching the Jags, and they are not anything close to deep. If they can guarantee that they can get a guy like Byron Maxwell with a seventh-rounder instead of taking their chances on getting to him in free agency, they will do it.

I don't expect lots of trades, but I do think we will get back a couple of seventh-rounders for one or two guys that teams really want to get without having to compete with other teams in FA.

I could be way off base here, but with the waiver wire, wouldn't Jacksonville have first dibs on anyone that Kansas City (who has a strong secondary) doesn't claim?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
mikeak":2py7nhnc said:
Wenhawk":2py7nhnc said:
Jeron johnson, Maxwell, and Thurmond are would be starters on some teams is a 7th worth it to loose such high quality depth? I say only if we know we r cutting them and that their replacement is not a big drop off.

This is exactly it. Say you think Turbin is slightly better than Michael but you would cut Ware (JUST AN EXAMPLE)

So do you cut Ware for nothing knowing he won't go on PS or do you trade Turbin get a fifth rounder, don't loose much / anything with your backup guy and still have a very good third guy
That is why I can see them exaggerating Turbin's injury and putting him on the PUP list to start the season, and see how things shake out, as guys are always getting injured during the course of the season.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3v57rqhz said:
mikeak":3v57rqhz said:
Wenhawk":3v57rqhz said:

That is why I can see them exaggerating Turbin's injury and putting him on the PUP list to start the season, and see how things shake out, as guys are always getting injured during the course of the season.
Turbin has already passed his physical, so we no longer can put him on the pup list.

warden

Reaction score
We just can't keep everybody, it is a numbers game. So picking up a draft pick instead of getting nothing by being forced to meet the cut down dates makes sense.

At CB, Lane, Winfield, Maxwell, Thurmond, well someone has to go, maybe two ? it is rare to keep 6 CBs and if we do well that usually means we need to keep one less DL and we have just as big of numbers game at that position two. Keeping 6 WR usually means keeping only 4 RBs.

Yeah I could easily see some trades being made. We will keep players who the team feels could replace Veterans who are lost due to Salary cap cuts in the future. This team has a plan to resign key players and these young low budget players are going to be part of the plan

AgentDib

Reaction score
Remember that Baldwin is making just $500k this year, which is significantly less than market value would be for his expected production. As a result his contract has a lot of value and the "news" that teams are interested in trading for him should not be news at all, but rather the obvious outcome of Harvin's arrival leading people to think a valuable contract may be acquirable.

In reality, Baldwin is valuable to us as well. When Harvin came to town the coaching staff was adamant that he was an addition rather than a substitution, and they stressed the importance of having as many play makers on the field as possible. Baldwin's low salary helps us there right now while we hope to be contenders. Would you really prefer a future low draft pick who may or may not make the team down the road?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Hawkspur":2unux1xn said:
Smelly McUgly":2unux1xn said:

I could be way off base here, but with the waiver wire, wouldn't Jacksonville have first dibs on anyone that Kansas City (who has a strong secondary) doesn't claim?

You are right, but the Jags are just one example of a team that needs help. The Jets could probably use a bit of corner help too, for example, and John Idzik knows our players. The Jags can use a bit of help at LB, too. They can use it everywhere. I am also sure other teams could use a few of our guys that they don't want to have to sit through the waiver wire for.