OC Candidates + Further Questions

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
OKHawksfan":oo0f8pm1 said:
I will throw a wild-card out there: Former EWU head coach and current Cal OC Beau Baldwin. He's possibly in the mix for the Arizona Wildcats HC job, but would be an interesting option. He did win a National Championship (FCS) with EWU in 2010.
His In-laws live right across the street from us. He's a damn good coach

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hawk54

Reaction score
They should go after this bloke, Bill Bedenbaugh from Oklahoma.

The Oklahoma Sooners offense is insanely good. They scored 80 TD's (almost 10 better than second place) and average 8.29 yards per play (almost 1 whole yard better than the next team) and 11.70 yards per pass attempt (again almost 1 yard better than the next team).

He's the co-OC AND O-line coach.

In 2016, their offensive line overcame early season shuffling due to injuries to help Sooners to one of most productive offensive years in school history, ranking first nationally in passing efficiency rating (mark of 193.79 set an FBS record) and pass completion percentage (.706), second in total offense (554.8 ypg) and third in scoring offense (43.9 ppg). OU also led the Big 12 by allowing just 1.6 sacks per game.

And OU registered its top two rushing seasons since Bedenbaugh joined the staff. The Sooners led the Big 12 and ranked 10th in the nation in 2014, averaging 261.2 rushing ypg. The schools who outrank them are those that just don't throw it and run every time.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3cts88hv said:
Hire this nerd!
Pete Carmichael
Pete Carmichael, Jr.

One of the most brilliant offensive minds in football. Has worked with an undersized QB. Dominant zone rushing attack. Extremely creative & practical. Could be hired as OC if the Seahawks promote him to ACH. It's an opportunity to blaze his own trail outside the shadow of Sean Payton.

I like the name Pete Carmichael, but even with the “Assistant HC” title that would still be a lateral move he may not want to take.

But, what about his understudy, QB coach, Joe Lombardi. 46 years old from Seattle (played for Seattle Prep). It may just be a coincidence that Brees had some of his best years (highest completion percentages in the NFL) under his tutelage, and one of the two years he was an OC for Detroit was Stafford’s only probowl year.

Could he do the same for Seattle’s own, slightly shorter than most, quarterback?

EMTHawkfan

Reaction score
Just for conversation what about a name like Brian Forentz? For a title similar to Cables offensive line /running game coordinator. The offensive coordinator for Iowa under his father the head coach. He's played offensive line, he's coached offensive line, the son of a head coach.

Fade

Reaction score
BC-Hawk":362mp75s said:
John DeFilippo would be a fantastic hire if he somehow escapes the head coaching search without a job, plus he's young enough that once Pete decides to eventually retire he can slide in as his successor easily. Perhaps that could be a selling point for the Hawks "come here and be our OC for a couple of years and then we'll hand over the keys to the head coach's office in X number of years."

DeFilippo would get a HC job the very next year with another team. Unless you fired Carroll to promote him to HC. I don't see it happening.

DeFilppo would be a 1 yr rental.

Give me the failed HC that was an awesome OC. That way no one would be looking to steal him away from your org after only 1 yr.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Fade":1m25qrbi said:
BC-Hawk":1m25qrbi said:
John DeFilippo would be a fantastic hire if he somehow escapes the head coaching search without a job, plus he's young enough that once Pete decides to eventually retire he can slide in as his successor easily. Perhaps that could be a selling point for the Hawks "come here and be our OC for a couple of years and then we'll hand over the keys to the head coach's office in X number of years."

DeFilippo would get a HC job the very next year with another team. Unless you fired Carroll to promote him to HC. I don't see it happening.

Give me the failed HC that was an awesome OC. That way no one would be looking to steal him away from your org after only 1 yr.

This is absolutely terrible logic I'm sorry. You can't take a lesser coach because you think they may stay a little longer. Hire the best people possible, if that's DeFilippo - that's who you hire.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
As far as Kubiak goes .. that's not happening.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/951254377053868032[/tweet]

Seymour

Reaction score
Woke up this morning at 4:00 Am in a cold sweat with a very bad nightmare.

Week 1 opener our first play we come out and throw a bubble screen to Brian Walters who we re-signed for minus 1.

We may need to start a new 12th fan support group for each other if this happens. :twisted: :twisted:

Mojambo

Reaction score
Rap reporting that Colts QB coach, Brian Schottenheimer is a candidate.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/951501840272764928[/tweet]

Schottenheimer's either had a murderer's row of bad QB's to work with his entire career, or they're all bad BECAUSE of him. He also happened to be the QB coach during Luck's big 2016 season...take that for what it's worth.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
A resounding "meh" on Schottenheimer. Rams fans are already rooting for this.

This may be the tier of coaches we're pulling from though. Any hot up-and-comers are already looking at head coaching gigs, so we're either looking at recycled coordinators, or promoting some diamonds in the rough from position coaches.

mrt144

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":txoefw2h said:
A resounding "meh" on Schottenheimer. Rams fans are already rooting for this.

This may be the tier of coaches we're pulling from though. Any hot up-and-comers are already looking at head coaching gigs, so we're either looking at recycled coordinators, or promoting some diamonds in the rough from position coaches.

Drevno baby, Drevno.

Fade

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2h6jomrz said:
Fade":2h6jomrz said:
BC-Hawk":2h6jomrz said:

This is absolutely terrible logic I'm sorry. You can't take a lesser coach because you think they may stay a little longer. Hire the best people possible, if that's DeFilippo - that's who you hire.
How do you know former HCs that were great OCs would be worse play callers than DeFilippo?

Fade

Reaction score
Shotty's work with the Rams has me saying, no no no no no no. NO.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
How about Harold Goodwin from Cardinals? OC under Arians. Did not call plays in regular season.

He's currently interviewing for OL spots - I'd love to lock him in for an interview. Check him out for both OL and OC.

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":zmxc68z0 said:
perennial SB contender.

Uh... what? A team that doesn't even make the playoffs in a cupcake division is not a perennial SB contender.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
QuickLightning":qinbh6k3 said:
Russ Willstrong":qinbh6k3 said:
perennial SB contender.

Uh... what? A team that doesn't even make the playoffs in a cupcake division is not a perennial SB contender.

Does "talent filled team" work better for you?