OC Candidates + Further Questions

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":sp0dljya said:
Ohhhh the irony!

Drop Jimmy Graham just in time to bring in the guy that knows how to use him. :twisted:

Then again, if they manage to acquire a play caller who knows how to use a weapon like Jimmy Graham, that could change the calculus for both sides. This is particularly true if they can't get a deal done with Sheldon Richardson.

I don't think there is an OC Graham would rather have calling plays for him than Carmichael (excluding HC Sean Payton, of course).

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":sozhrl6l said:
Why is no one mentioning Jim Caldwell? Or did I miss something.

He's been to what, 3 Superbowls as an assistant coach, and won 2 of them.

He made Joe freaking Flacco the highest paid QB in the NFL... and as soon as Caldwell left, Flacco began to suck.

He's maybe not the best Head Coach, but man his offenses are always tough.

I think he'd do as well under Pete as he did Dungy and Harbaugh.

Nice thought. Caldwell has had some explosive offenses over the years. He's old (ha!) but I would take him as OC.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Mojambo":sfvq66q7 said:
NJlargent":sfvq66q7 said:
Picking schottenheimer would kill the elation I have felt this week.

Why? What, exactly, do you know about his play-calling ability and offensive philosophies?

I know next to nothing about him, other than he's NEVER coordinated for a QB of Russell Wilson's caliber, but he was highly thought of when he worked with Drew Brees as QB coach.

Just because a guy has been around, doesn't mean he's not the right guy. (I have no idea if he's the right guy.)

FWIW

If Brian runs the same scheme as his father (and there’s no reason to think he won’t) it is the same as the Seahawks have used since Pete has arrived, politely called the “Air Coryell” offense, a precursor to the “West Coast” offense with more vertical throws down field, while still spreading the field with shorter throws to the outside and, of course the more famous “slant throws” off the line of scrimmage.

Used successfully by Don Coryell, Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, and the Raiders under Al Davis, among others, this was the offense Bill Walsh used to develop the, now, more famous West Coast offense, that relies on YAC yards to compensate for deeper passes.

The scheme requires a QB that has the arm strength to throw a deep balls accurately, so it tends to flip flop back and forth between the two (by the number of deep passes) depending on the skill set of the QB. In a nutshell it stretches the field both horizontally and vertically, and (ironically) sets up the run with the pass.

Now, whether Brian can be successful with the Seahawks and Russell is an unknown, he’s had mediocre success with either injured or middling QB’s as an OC (Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington, old Brett Favre, and a mostly injured Sam Bradford)

I say meh, if the Seahawks want a disciple of the Air Coryell offense, that has had success, I’d look toward Cam Cameron who did have success under Marty and John Harbaugh with that scheme, albeit with much better QB’s (Rivers and Flacco), most recently fired with Les Miles from LSU in 2016.

Cam will turn 57 in February.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Mojambo":11hezh9x said:
NJlargent":11hezh9x said:
Picking schottenheimer would kill the elation I have felt this week.

Why? What, exactly, do you know about his play-calling ability and offensive philosophies?

I know next to nothing about him, other than he's NEVER coordinated for a QB of Russell Wilson's caliber, but he was highly thought of when he worked with Drew Brees as QB coach.

Just because a guy has been around, doesn't mean he's not the right guy. (I have no idea if he's the right guy.)

The jets couldn’t wait to get rid of him and he’s been underwhelming despite Brees. He’s been around a while and hasn’t lit the world on fire by any stretch. We just got rid of bevell and have an opportunity here. Schottenheimer seems like a 3rd round pick and I’d like to shoot for a 1st rounder.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I know this will be divisive in part because of the college football affiliations of some of you, but consider that we play our best football in a hurry-up offense, and then consider what Chip Kelly might bring to the offensive side - not touching the defensive side or making personnel decisions.

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2s7udaj0 said:
I know this will be divisive in part because of the college football affiliations of some of you, but consider that we play our best football in a hurry-up offense, and then consider what Chip Kelly might bring to the offensive side - not touching the defensive side or making personnel decisions.
I’ve had the same thoughts in regards to Chip.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":fjf88sxc said:

Most teams play rather well in a hurry up offense, as it doesn't allow the defense to react and change personnel groupings to adapt to the series. It's not a long term solution as it leads to injuries and requires an uncompromising work ethic to keep players in peak physical condition to support the schemes.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
nIdahoSeahawk":nek5bq83 said:
KiwiHawk":nek5bq83 said:

Chip is the newly signed HC of UCLA

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
nwHawk":2vmfg7v0 said:
Keep an eye out for Marc Trestman. There are connectors to Pete and Russ (NC St). Just saying. First year Toronto head coach, this year, and goes out and wins the Gray Cup Campionship.
He’d be an interesting choice.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":ftxpeyuu said:
nIdahoSeahawk":ftxpeyuu said:
KiwiHawk":ftxpeyuu said:

Yes he is, but the day before yesterday Bevel was OC and Cable was AHC and OL coach. Things change.

Any coordinator we hire has to think there is a potential career path to take over from Pete Carroll as head coach under the richest owner in the NFL. It's a pretty good gig. One you might trade a bird in the hand for.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1uz1x0tf said:
nwHawk":1uz1x0tf said:
Keep an eye out for Marc Trestman. There are connectors to Pete and Russ (NC St). Just saying. First year Toronto head coach, this year, and goes out and wins the Gray Cup Campionship.
He’d be an interesting choice.

Didn't consider Trestman but that's a good call.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":dvjfym0e said:
FidelisHawk":dvjfym0e said:
nIdahoSeahawk":dvjfym0e said:
KiwiHawk":dvjfym0e said:

Yes he is, but the day before yesterday Bevel was OC and Cable was AHC and OL coach. Things change.

Any coordinator we hire has to think there is a potential career path to take over from Pete Carroll as head coach under the richest owner in the NFL. It's a pretty good gig. One you might trade a bird in the hand for.

LOL Well, anything is possible, but Kelly hasn’t even had a chance to have his new UCLA shirts dry cleaned yet.

I doubt he would be, even mildly, interested in being Pete’s subordinate (even for a two, possibly more, years) in favor of running his own program.

Now, if Paul offered him Carrol’s position, hummm maybe then the money would talk.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
BC-Hawk":13k6s544 said:
John DeFilippo would be a fantastic hire if he somehow escapes the head coaching search without a job, plus he's young enough that once Pete decides to eventually retire he can slide in as his successor easily. Perhaps that could be a selling point for the Hawks "come here and be our OC for a couple of years and then we'll hand over the keys to the head coach's office in X number of years."

Here's what I see Paul Allen offering his Prime interest. I think that he will propose that the OC would also be offered the Assistant Head Coach as well as in line for Pete's job when he retires. I think that option would attract the prime candidate.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I did not know that Bret Bielema was almost a Seahawk back in '92. Some have said he's a possibility, but I don't think so. I don't think he is innovative enough to get the job.

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2016/6/28/12051004/bret-bielemas-acl-less-cup-of-coffee-in-the-nfl

BUT, how about a OC wildcard...Tom Herman, U of Houston HC

Tom Herman's offense has its roots in the spread but with more of a power feel. A downhill running attack will look to draw contact and bring the defense into the box, only to then throw over it soon thereafter. It's also one that maximizes the skills of the players, as we saw when Herman helped Ohio State win a national title with a third-string quarterback in 2014.

Cardale Jones went from third string to a potential first-round draft pick in three games. Now with Houston, Herman has turned Greg Ward Jr. into arguably the best dual-threat passer in the country.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...-offensive-minds-in-college-football.amp.html

Pete needs fresh innovative minds. Total long shot, but would be interesting.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
hawknation2018":9u8rkzab said:
Danny Darko":9u8rkzab said:
Carmichael seems like the guy, but what leverage do we have to give him another OC position?
It sounds from this that the Saints would grant permission for HC, but even AC and the promise of taking over for Pete... do the Saints have to play ball?

My (admittedly limited) understanding is that Assisted Head Coach is considered a promotion in the NFL. If the Seahawks offered Carmichael the AHC title, they would therefore be free to pursue him as OC because it would not be considered a lateral move.

The Saints used the AHC title to poach their TEs Coach from Miami last year.

IMO, Carmichael will probably never be a serious HC candidate until he leaves the shadow of Sean Payton and demonstrates success on his own. In the same way, Kris Richard will probably never be a serious HC candidate until he leaves Pete Carroll.

Ahhhh thank you. that gives me hope. I hope your knowledge is not that limited

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
nwHawk":s7eih7ma said:
I did not know that Bret Bielema was almost a Seahawk back in '92. Some have said he's a possibility, but I don't think so. I don't think he is innovative enough to get the job.

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2016/6/28/12051004/bret-bielemas-acl-less-cup-of-coffee-in-the-nfl

He uh.. has never coached one down of offense in his life. He's a defensive coordinator.

nwHawk":s7eih7ma said:
BUT, how about a OC wildcard...Tom Herman, U of Houston HC

Tom Herman's offense has its roots in the spread but with more of a power feel. A downhill running attack will look to draw contact and bring the defense into the box, only to then throw over it soon thereafter. It's also one that maximizes the skills of the players, as we saw when Herman helped Ohio State win a national title with a third-string quarterback in 2014.

Cardale Jones went from third string to a potential first-round draft pick in three games. Now with Houston, Herman has turned Greg Ward Jr. into arguably the best dual-threat passer in the country.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...-offensive-minds-in-college-football.amp.html

Pete needs fresh innovative minds. Total long shot, but would be interesting.

Well for one Herman is now the coach of Texas, makes $5.5M a year and is guaranteed $25M but yeah total wild card. Could totally see a coach leave a Top 10 program to chase his dreams of coaching Russell Wilson.

REALISTIC candidates guys. Come on.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1mls14o3 said:
FidelisHawk":1mls14o3 said:
nIdahoSeahawk":1mls14o3 said:
KiwiHawk":1mls14o3 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chip Kelly is not leaving a job he just took to be a coordinator. Stop this.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2aun2osp said:
Why is no one mentioning Jim Caldwell? Or did I miss something.

He's been to what, 3 Superbowls as an assistant coach, and won 2 of them.

He made Joe freaking Flacco the highest paid QB in the NFL... and as soon as Caldwell left, Flacco began to suck.

He's maybe not the best Head Coach, but man his offenses are always tough.

I think he'd do as well under Pete as he did Dungy and Harbaugh.

Caldwell had absolutely nothing to do with Flacco's hot streak in January. Caldwell would have been fired a couple years ago if he didn't elevate Jim Bob Cooter to OC.

Caldwell as QB coach would be fine. OC? Hard pass.