OC Candidates + Further Questions

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I would love to get Carmichael. I wouldn't mind McAdoo either. There are many guys that are better coordinators than head coaches.

Msfann

Reaction score
QuickLightning":1sr41edw said:
Russ Willstrong":1sr41edw said:
perennial SB contender.

Uh... what? A team that doesn't even make the playoffs in a cupcake division is not a perennial SB contender.

Yeah but everyone knows the Seahawks could be back to being elite next year. You cant say that about a team like the Browns.

Now watch the Browns run the table next season and win the super bowl because I said that.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
Carmichael seems like the guy, but what leverage do we have to give him another OC position?
It sounds from this that the Saints would grant permission for HC, but even AC and the promise of taking over for Pete... do the Saints have to play ball?

A-Dog

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1q9nx9r0 said:
As far as Kubiak goes .. that's not happening.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/951254377053868032[/tweet]

This tweet is unconvincing.

Offensive Coordinator + Assistant Head Coach with a huge contract from Uncle Paul and having strong input in to personnel decisions might be appealing. Working for a winning organization behind a head coach who soaks up much of the PR pressure, and having a top QB like Wilson may also be a strong draw. Imagine building a new offense around Wilson's unique skillset and having the authority to influence personnel decisions for the many players that are brought in to fit that offense -- that could be a great fit for Kubiak.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
A-Dog":2xgngjsr said:
This tweet is unconvincing.

That's probably because you want it to happen. :p

Was plenty convincing to me. Given his health struggles, I don't know if the guy wants the sideline pressure at this point in his life, even if he was cleared to return to work.

massari

Reaction score
Wonder if this Sean Ryan guy is a good fit?

Texans quarterbacks coach Sean Ryan is interviewing with the Browns today for their offensive coordinator job

Ryan is one of the up-and-coming assistants in the league who became a candidate for a promotion to offensive coordinator after his work with rookie Deshaun Watson

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ordinator/

mrt144

Reaction score
Danny Darko":3pqtr00d said:
Carmichael seems like the guy, but what leverage do we have to give him another OC position?
It sounds from this that the Saints would grant permission for HC, but even AC and the promise of taking over for Pete... do the Saints have to play ball?

We trade back JFG? ;)

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I've already got the Fire Schottenheimer, queued up and ready to hit submit. God I hope that doesn't happen. Give me Bevell over him 8 days a week.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
massari":v0cpdyqo said:
Wonder if this Sean Ryan guy is a good fit?

Texans quarterbacks coach Sean Ryan is interviewing with the Browns today for their offensive coordinator job

Ryan is one of the up-and-coming assistants in the league who became a candidate for a promotion to offensive coordinator after his work with rookie Deshaun Watson

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ordinator/

I was thinking this also. There are actually at least a handful of good, solid candidates we can choose from. The first step has been taken (getting rid of Cabevell & Co.) Obviously, the next step is even more important. I hope they take their time and nail it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SandoESPN/status/951539978340777984[/tweet]

In another words, another Bevell.

Mojambo

Reaction score
LOL at everyone who thinks they can determine whether a coordinator hire is good or bad based on past performance. There are just too many extenuating circumstances to make a judgement (what kind of QB talent was present, did the HC they worked under have conventional or unconventional philosophies which presented challenges, etc)

Look at traits and fits for what Pete Carroll likes to do (Run the ball, take deep shots) because that's the way they're going to go.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawk54":2k0g72gf said:
They should go after this bloke, Bill Bedenbaugh from Oklahoma.

The Oklahoma Sooners offense is insanely good. They scored 80 TD's (almost 10 better than second place) and average 8.29 yards per play (almost 1 whole yard better than the next team) and 11.70 yards per pass attempt (again almost 1 yard better than the next team).

He's the co-OC AND O-line coach.

In 2016, their offensive line overcame early season shuffling due to injuries to help Sooners to one of most productive offensive years in school history, ranking first nationally in passing efficiency rating (mark of 193.79 set an FBS record) and pass completion percentage (.706), second in total offense (554.8 ypg) and third in scoring offense (43.9 ppg). OU also led the Big 12 by allowing just 1.6 sacks per game.

And OU registered its top two rushing seasons since Bedenbaugh joined the staff. The Sooners led the Big 12 and ranked 10th in the nation in 2014, averaging 261.2 rushing ypg. The schools who outrank them are those that just don't throw it and run every time.
I'm starting to really like this guy.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Picking schottenheimer would kill the elation I have felt this week.

Mojambo

Reaction score
NJlargent":2g83h1fc said:

Why? What, exactly, do you know about his play-calling ability and offensive philosophies?

I know next to nothing about him, other than he's NEVER coordinated for a QB of Russell Wilson's caliber, but he was highly thought of when he worked with Drew Brees as QB coach.

Just because a guy has been around, doesn't mean he's not the right guy. (I have no idea if he's the right guy.)

nwHawk

Reaction score
Keep an eye out for Marc Trestman. There are connectors to Pete and Russ (NC St). Just saying. First year Toronto head coach, this year, and goes out and wins the Gray Cup Campionship.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Mojambo":1dmrgrwk said:
NJlargent":1dmrgrwk said:

Why? What, exactly, do you know about his play-calling ability and offensive philosophies?

I know next to nothing about him, other than he's NEVER coordinated for a QB of Russell Wilson's caliber, but he was highly thought of when he worked with Drew Brees as QB coach.

Just because a guy has been around, doesn't mean he's not the right guy. (I have no idea if he's the right guy.)

I know a lot about him. He's absolute ass.

He's not the right guy. Much better options out there.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":18ynylo7 said:
Mojambo":18ynylo7 said:
NJlargent":18ynylo7 said:

I know a lot about him. He's absolute ass.

He's not the right guy. Much better options out there.

Do share.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Danny Darko":gg66qfte said:

My (admittedly limited) understanding is that Assisted Head Coach is considered a promotion in the NFL. If the Seahawks offered Carmichael the AHC title, they would therefore be free to pursue him as OC because it would not be considered a lateral move.

The Saints used the AHC title to poach their TEs Coach from Miami last year.

IMO, Carmichael will probably never be a serious HC candidate until he leaves the shadow of Sean Payton and demonstrates success on his own. In the same way, Kris Richard will probably never be a serious HC candidate until he leaves Pete Carroll.

Seymour

Reaction score
Ohhhh the irony!

Drop Jimmy Graham just in time to bring in the guy that knows how to use him. :twisted: