Now's the time Percy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will I

Reaction score
Exittium":sre88soo said:
Will I":sre88soo said:
Exittium":sre88soo said:
I'd rather see us cut/dump him. There still some money lost, but we also save alot as well I'd assume. Well at this point, he's nothing but a negative on the team. How has he helped? How has he contributed? How about the money eaten up by him, that we could have used to resign more key players? .. He's done imo. I've written him off and could careless about the dude. He's made of glass and is being treated as such.

Gotta love the community here, dude brings nothing to the conversation, attacks and is unscathed. :th2thumbs:

Because anything I say will change your opinion? I think not. This Percy thing is like religion and politics, no need to argue about, your opinion is yours, mine is mine.

mikeak

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2d4eyusv said:
SDHawk":2d4eyusv said:
BTW, his entire 2014 salary becomes guaranteed if he's "injured." I really don't want to believe this is playing a factor for Percy, but it's getting increasingly harder to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Could you explain this, please?

Here's his contract details:

Harvin received a six-year, $67 million contract from the Seahawks. The deal contains $25.5 million in guarantees, which consists of a $12 million signing bonus, a fully guaranteed $2.5 million base salary in 2013 and an injury guaranteed $11 million base salary in 2014. His 2014 base salary will become fully guaranteed if he is on Seattle's roster on the fifth day of the 2014 waiver period (Feb. 7).

Let's assume Harvin was healthy but the Seahawks didn't like him for any non-injury reason (e.g. lack of skill, locker-room chemistry, etc.), they could cut him within 5-days of the Super Bowl. They would still have to take the dead-money hit on their cap, but they wouldn't have to pay him the money ($11 million).

If Harvin is still "injured" six weeks from now, Seattle doesn't have this option because all of his money becomes guaranteed. He may have to end the year on IR for this to happen, and this might be the reason the FO won't IR him. Could be a big game of "chicken"...

Do you know definition of injury reason? If he spends almost all of 2013 on the PUP and then plays one game and stays on the injury report for the rest of the season (speculation at this point) and then we cut him I have a hard time seeing how we would justify it not being for injury reason. Clearly it is because he is injured even if he is not on the IR. Not sure what the law is on this but damn curious.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
mikeak":1sajlqyx said:
DavidSeven":1sajlqyx said:
SDHawk":1sajlqyx said:
BTW, his entire 2014 salary becomes guaranteed if he's "injured." I really don't want to believe this is playing a factor for Percy, but it's getting increasingly harder to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Could you explain this, please?

Here's his contract details:

Harvin received a six-year, $67 million contract from the Seahawks. The deal contains $25.5 million in guarantees, which consists of a $12 million signing bonus, a fully guaranteed $2.5 million base salary in 2013 and an injury guaranteed $11 million base salary in 2014. His 2014 base salary will become fully guaranteed if he is on Seattle's roster on the fifth day of the 2014 waiver period (Feb. 7).

Let's assume Harvin was healthy but the Seahawks didn't like him for any non-injury reason (e.g. lack of skill, locker-room chemistry, etc.), they could cut him within 5-days of the Super Bowl. They would still have to take the dead-money hit on their cap, but they wouldn't have to pay him the money ($11 million).

If Harvin is still "injured" six weeks from now, Seattle doesn't have this option because all of his money becomes guaranteed. He may have to end the year on IR for this to happen, and this might be the reason the FO won't IR him. Could be a big game of "chicken"...

Do you know definition of injury reason? If he spends almost all of 2013 on the PUP and then plays one game and stays on the injury report for the rest of the season (speculation at this point) and then we cut him I have a hard time seeing how we would justify it not being for injury reason. Clearly it is because he is injured even if he is not on the IR. Not sure what the law is on this but damn curious.

Depends on the language of the contract. The term "injury" would be defined in the agreement. Obviously, none of us have a copy of it handy, so this will largely be guess-work. I'm quite certain there would be a parameter for what constitutes an "injury" in the agreement, and my best guess is that it would depend on whether or not he ends the season on IR since that would take some ambiguity out of it.

OP
OP
K

kmedic

Reaction score
I am a doctor and I can tell you guys for sure there is something more to this than hip soreness and inflammation. Something is not adding up. Since PC keeps claiming there is nothing structurally wrong with the hip joint my best guess is that he messed something else up while rehabbing the hip. There's a lot of different muscle groups in that region and it's very possible he pulled something that is requiring its own lengthy recovery. The frustrating part is that for whatever reason the organization is not disclosing enough information to put us either at more ease or just to put the whole issue to bed.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I wish they would have put a stipulation in there about a pre-existing injury. One would think that would be standard by now.

For some reason we always get hosed when trading 1st round picks for players and paying them big money.

HansGruber

Reaction score
There's some good info on hip injuries, in relation to pro athletes, on this page:
http://www.hss.edu/conditions_muscle-in ... erview.asp

Sounds like Harvin has a Grade 2 partial tear, probably in the adductor group or hamstring. That page says 2-3 months for a pro/elite athlete, although cortisone injections can speed up recovery.

Doubtful we will see him this season.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kmedic":3c3lgjdh said:
I am a doctor and I can tell you guys for sure there is something more to this than hip soreness and inflammation. Something is not adding up. Since PC keeps claiming there is nothing structurally wrong with the hip joint my best guess is that he messed something else up while rehabbing the hip. There's a lot of different muscle groups in that region and it's very possible he pulled something that is requiring its own lengthy recovery. The frustrating part is that for whatever reason the organization is not disclosing enough information to put us either at more ease or just to put the whole issue to bed.

Avascular Necrosis, as someone else on this board was speculating? As far as I'm concerned, he better know things like Bo, because I don't see him on the roster next season. IF I ever see him play a full game, I might change my mind, but right now I expect no further contribution from this guy. We have overpaid for a high-maintenance prima donna, IMO. There is nothing structurally wrong with his hip yet he choses to say 'owweee, owwweee' instead of trying to get back out there. I don't see him on the sideline during home games, he doesn't interact much with his teammates...what a package deal we got with this gem. Time to cut him loose.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I thought I remember seeing some injury stipulations in the contract? Like we could cut bait after the first year if he turns up lame.

Dudes in the front of the line at the glue factory. Let's not pay to keep him on life support. Money can be better spent on proven, durable and deserving players already on the roster.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HansGruber":1h3itnlh said:
There's some good info on hip injuries, in relation to pro athletes, on this page:

Sounds like Harvin has a Grade 2 partial tear, probably in the adductor group or hamstring. That page says 2-3 months for a pro/elite athlete, although cortisone injections can speed up recovery.

:lol: :34853_doh:

Basis4day

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1pqiym7z said:
Basis4day":1pqiym7z said:
Many posters seem to have reached the false conclusion that it is 100% Percy's decision whether he practices or not.
It's an educated guess based on the limited info PC has disclosed. Pete said it was a question of playing with pain. If there is more to this the office is keeping it to them selves but based on what we know has occurred there is a good bet he is done.

No, it's a simple guess. There is not enough information to make an educated guess.
No one knows why he is actually sitting out. And yes, the FO is keeping it to themselves. That's how the NFL works. You're not going to get the answer you want and your not going to get 100% of the information. It is logically a false conclusion that you can reach factually accurate descriptions of Percy's situation with the extremely limited information thus far disclosed.

My original point stands. Too many posters think it's 100% Percy's choice to play or not. There is no basis for that belief over alternatives and anonymous speculation on the internet about what pain tolerance is is no better information than the limited information the FO chooses to disclose. What a random posters's uncle's best friend in college who happens to be a orthopedist in Guam has no basis or incite into Percy's situation.

The best and most accurate description of Percy's situation is this, "I have no clue why he is sitting out, and the FO has no obligation to give the fanbase nor opponents any more information of our offense than mandated by the league."

FairWeatherFan

Reaction score
This guy is an obvious trump card for the playoff run. I'd be willing to bet that Percy Harvin will be in a Seahawk jersey in our first playoff game.

One thing we do know is that he had some "soreness" after the NO game. That's it - that's all we know. And, that's all any opponent will know about him come playoff time! We clinched a playoff spot ... so why not get him to where he can be most effective and let him heal up as much as possible? He's already stated that he wants to play. The staff is just holding him back as long as possible. I think it's a good decision....

HawkMeat

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":9ublbslm said:
Done thinking about PH.
Me too. The only thing I think about Percy wise is the huge contract and picks given up. Not that I have given up hope, but staying positive about this huge transaction with a huge game coming up sucks.
Being ready for playoffs appears to be unlikely. Ok, done thinking about someone who played one game as a seahawk.

docj78

Reaction score
Bosworth, McGwire, Curry, Harvin................. he's fast on track to join the elite of Seahawk Faildom....................

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
This is looking like the type of move that gets GMs fired. Luckily for John, he has a number of good moves to fall back on. But good lord, he got HOSED by the Vikings. I wonder how many high fives have been exchanged in Minny either when another report of Harvin not practicing/playing comes out, or after another solid play by ultra-promising rookie Cordarelle Patterson? I'd guess its in the thousands.

You've just got to hand it to that front office. Their team is in far worse shape than the Seahawks over all, but they absolutely killed in that trade.

ivotuk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3ullx9p3 said:
HansGruber":3ullx9p3 said:

And

ivotuk

Reaction score
docj78":37vegjed said:
Bosworth, McGwire, Curry, Harvin................. he's fast on track to join the elite of Seahawk Faildom....................

Don't forget Deion Branch.

My new nickname for him is "Pricey Harvin"

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2s3aujhr said:
ImTheScientist":2s3aujhr said:
HansGruber":2s3aujhr said:

Just like the holidays makes some people drunk.

ivotuk

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":1k8xnnva said:
ivotuk":1k8xnnva said:
ImTheScientist":1k8xnnva said:
HansGruber":1k8xnnva said:

Just like the holidays makes some people drunk.

Is that a bad thing :D

Status
Not open for further replies.