Now we know

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
hoxrox":23vet7gv said:
Nah Wilson doesn't get off that easily. His tendencies were on full display well before the finger injury.

And if Russ gets credit for Sunday, then Pete gets credit. He dumbed down the offense recently. Besides that first quarter, it finally looked like a functioning offense.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1463635322353319936[/tweet]

Maybe Waldron’s offense was too complex for the players to execute?

I agree PC should get some credit. AS to his tendencies once again I will state the facts prior to the injury he was #1 in passer rating, complete %, td/int, yps, and top 5 in yards, tds. and again throwing short or taking the layup on 60+% of his attempts.

So yeah his tendency to be one of the top 3 in the league we're on full display before his injury.

toffee

Reaction score
John63":2d2hs1rc said:
hoxrox":2d2hs1rc said:
Nah Wilson doesn't get off that easily. His tendencies were on full display well before the finger injury.

And if Russ gets credit for Sunday, then Pete gets credit. He dumbed down the offense recently. Besides that first quarter, it finally looked like a functioning offense.

I agree PC should get some credit. AS to his tendencies once again I will state the facts prior to the injury he was #1 in passer rating, complete %, td/int, yps, and top 5 in yards, tds. and again throwing short or taking the layup on 60+% of his attempts.

So yeah his tendency to be one of the top 3 in the league we're on full display before his injury.

Along with your hero, you too are back with statistic based rebuttal in defense of Russ. Keep up the good work.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Every poster? There's a ton of people who are not doom and gloom. And plenty who have legit criticism.
There's a bunch of good posters on here who are worth talking football with. And Pete absolutely deserves some credit for Sunday. He had that team ready to play, and believing.
But I'm glad I'm living rent free in your head.

keasley45

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1ct1gqk6 said:
Even after he has his best game of the season, some people STILL b!@ch and moan about him. Only on dot negative.

You seem to lack the gene for critical assessment and thinking because everytime there's an honest and objective criticism of the dude its like the frigging walls of Jericho are crumbling.

You know what every team does, win or lose, between Monday and Sunday? They look at themselves, find their flaws and work to correct the. And the teams and players who are most critical of themselves are the ones that most often achieve the most. You can win because you are the absolute master of your craft. And you can win because you just happened to have a good game and were playing a lesser opponent or one who was off.

We had a good game. It was a great win against a rival. Russ did some good things in the game that he hadn't since last year (nothing to do with the finger ), and hit some passes he's missed in previous weeks (absolutley his finger).

Lets hope every week from here out is better.

One game doesn't cure everything. We won 2 games before he got hurt where it was mostly Russ ball. We need to play Waldron ball, with a little Russ magic sprinkled in. If we can actually achieve that by year's end... I'd honestly take that over making the playoff playing boom or bust ball.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
toffee":3n1i183o said:
John63":3n1i183o said:
hoxrox":3n1i183o said:

Along with your hero, you too are back with statistic based rebuttal in defense of Russ. Keep up the good work.

you mean Facts.

xray

Reaction score
LTH":23212wtc said:
TwistedHusky":23212wtc said:
If the purpose of the conversation is to do an objective analysis of the circumstance and look at best pathways to success moving forward?
(which does not jibe with the title of the thread...since it seemed to be more a thread about how it turned out that maybe the problems Wilson experienced were due to his still being hurt, and not just falling off a cliff in skills/ability suddenly)

Then it makes sense to identify the problems, especially the root problems.

Fixing the issues with Wilson is like trying to solve a root problem by shearing off the leaves.

Wilson has issues, or more accurately strengths and weaknesses. But is he the issue? Or is it poor decisioning by the FO and inconsistent tactics/strategy assessment while building the roster?

Wilson is not the biggest problem right now.

But he is our biggest and most important competitive advantage. Realistically the only thing keeping up from becoming the Lions or Jets right now.

Your not giving credit where credit is due... this is a giant pissing contest of ego's... not a subjective conversation of intelect

^
Pissing contests got the Politics forum shut down . You've been warned gawdammit !!! :D

LTH

Reaction score
John63":2hwxi0vw said:
hoxrox":2hwxi0vw said:

Ok that's a step in the right direction give credit where credit is due... Good job!!

Wilson played really well in this last game!!

LTH

WmHBonney

Reaction score
hoxrox":16cou6vl said:

This makes me laugh. This offense is already so simple that opposing defenses know what's coming before the ball is snapped. As do most fans. Any simpler and it will literally be a high school level offense.

LTH

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2e82g2x2 said:
hoxrox":2e82g2x2 said:

This makes me laugh. This offense is already so simple that opposing defenses know what's coming before the ball is snapped. As do most fans. Any simpler and it will literally be a high school level offense.

Do you even know how they simplified it? could you break that down for us please?

LTH

xray

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2q0c53ja said:
hoxrox":2q0c53ja said:

^
Highschool fake punt plays still work once in awhile .

Rat

Reaction score
It was pretty obvious that Russ came back too quickly; I dont think that's a criticism of him though.

I blame Geno Smith for being so mediocre. If we had someone doing what Colt McCoy is doing in Arizona, there might not have been as much urgency getting Russ back on the field.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
WmHBonney":29xu6m7z said:
hoxrox":29xu6m7z said:

I am not sure simpler is the right term. So much as less more direct. For example instead of having 10 things that can happen off a given alignment you only have 7. It was a good thing given we were playing with 2-3 backup online man and some new or limited used Rbs.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
LTH":1lyin9sf said:
WmHBonney":1lyin9sf said:
hoxrox":1lyin9sf said:

Do you even know how they simplified it? could you break that down for us please?

LTH

This^^

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Rat":21z665kt said:
It was pretty obvious that Russ came back too quickly; I dont think that's a criticism of him though.

I blame Geno Smith for being so mediocre. If we had someone doing what Colt McCoy is doing in Arizona, there might not have been as much urgency getting Russ back on the field.

I agree he came back top soon. not sure I put it all on Geno though.

LTH

Reaction score
Rat":2h7nfwod said:

Some of you other guys know more than I about QB play, but I think Colt MCoy is a good QB worthy of a starting job... I mean that's just my opinion but that was a Holmgren pick. I just think he is stuck in a stigma of Cleveland.. I think he is every bit as good as say Goff..

LTH

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It isn't Geno's fault for being a middling backup.

It is the fault of the guy that decided Geno could keep things moving if Wilson went down.

It makes no sense.

We have a team that is built on our QB carrying it over the finish line.

So what do we do?

Cheap out on the OL

Keep a middling backup QB to keep us afloat when/if the QB goes down.

If you choose not to protect your QB to save salary cap? OK but you are tempting fate.

And for the love of all that is holy, if you depend on your QB for any chance to win? Then you protect your QB.
Or have a stellar backup (think Foles, Minshew, etc) and just assume there is a good % chance your QB will be down a game or 2 in the season.

But not protecting your QB AND not making any reasonable arrangements to help him WHEN he goes down because you have crap protection for him?

Then you have no excuse, because you built this trainwreck out of really bad decisions.

Jville

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":gzbx39xp said:

It is the fault of the guy that decided Geno could keep things moving if Wilson went down.

It makes no sense.

So what do we do?

Cheap out on the OL

If you choose not to protect your QB to save salary cap? OK but you are tempting fate.

And for the love of all that is holy, if you depend on your QB for any chance to win? Then you protect your QB.
Or have a stellar backup (think Foles, Minshew, etc) and just assume there is a good % chance your QB will be down a game or 2 in the season.

But not protecting your QB AND not making any reasonable arrangements to help him WHEN he goes down because you have crap protection for him?

Then you have no excuse, because you built this trainwreck out of really bad decisions.

My Goodness .................. are there any grievance counselors in the forum.

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3aashywm said:

It makes no sense.

So what do we do?

Cheap out on the OL

I;m going to agree with that it's not Geno's fault to a point he did turn the ball over twice once on game winning drives once was not his fault it was a PI no call. but i thought Geno was ok but not great I think he did his job barely, but he did get better that last game. I am happy with Geno as a backup.

I am going to agree that the Hawks need to put some Draft capital into the o line because I think it's unreasonable for Russ to take some of the punishment, he took from the niners. I think if the o line was playing with the starters, they would be better. I think the Hawks drafted Lewis and picked up shell and Jackson and re-signed Brown but it's not good enough... Interesting to see how Stone Forsythe pans out but I think they can do better than Pocic and Fuller. So, If I am the Hawks, I'm looking to revamp that O line with some draft capital and I'm thinking it should be a priority. games are won and lost in the trenches and as Wilson gets older, they need to protect him.

LTH

Vesuve

Reaction score
xray":11ows8oi said:
Hard to tell who is the biggest liar , Wilson or Carroll .
They aren't straight shooters

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Vesuve":2cme6sel said:
xray":2cme6sel said:
Hard to tell who is the biggest liar , Wilson or Carroll .
They aren't straight shooters

The answer is neither you don't give this kind of stuff away so the opponent can zero in on it. Also, you may not know till the actual game starts. It may feel great in practice and all but the in-game time one hit or anything and other you go. Contrary to your opinion just because what they said changed does not mean they lied it could just mean things changed. But as I said why would you let the opponent know.