Niners Defense : Like looking in a 2013 mirror

kmeleon

Reaction score
I know they run the "Seattle" D but man did watching them play last night reminded me of us back in 2013 and 2014. They may have a bit better D line then we had but every down just rushing 4 or 5 and getting pressure, Erin with no time, WR's can't get open because they've got good LB's, CB's and Safeties. Damn I miss that.

But after watching that it makes me feel we're not that far away. Hopefully John and Pete can hit on a few picks and bring a couple FA's in and we're sitting here one year from today ecstatic to be heading back to the SB!

Polk738

Reaction score
They're D-line is loaded with high first round picks and I wouldn't be surprised if they tanked last season to get Bosa this year, he definitely put that defense over the top-it'd be nice to get those kinds of picks but Seattle has never been so awful on a consistent basis to get that many high first rounders. You gotta hand it to John Lynch, he built a powerhouse defense with those draft picks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's not a coincidence that the Niners D looks the same as our dominant D with Saleh at the helm.

Same single high safety cover 3, rush four, press cover and punch the other team in the mouth until they give up........which GB did after the first quarter.

But IMO Saleh and Shanahan have a lot more wrinkles to how they play defense week to week. Even yesterday they had Sherman following Adams around and they stunted quite a bit at the line and gave Rodgers more confusing looks then we ever did, or still do.

I love Pete, but I hope he was watching and learned a couple things, that the talent and scheme isn't enough, especially against good QB's.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bvux1n5 said:
It's not a coincidence that the Niners D looks the same as our dominant D with Saleh at the helm.

Same single high safety cover 3, rush four, press cover and punch the other team in the mouth until they give up........which GB did after the first quarter.

But IMO Saleh and Shanahan have a lot more wrinkles to how they play defense week to week. Even yesterday they had Sherman following Adams around and they stunted quite a bit at the line and gave Rodgers more confusing looks then we ever did, or still do.

I love Pete, but I hope he was watching and learned a couple things, that the talent and scheme isn't enough, especially against good QB's.

Pete is too stubborn to learn anything new.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":dmt0n6w0 said:

Well except SF won because of talent and scheme. It was clear domination in the trenches. Give the Hawks that SF line and we would have blown GB out too.

What works against good QB's? An exceptional 4 man rush. We had that in 2013 and 2014 with Avril and Bennett. SF has that with Bosa, Ford, Armstead and Buckner.

I give all the credit to John Lynch for not wasting his high picks and getting difference makers on defense.

I credit Shanahan for playing Pete Ball better than Pete plays Pete Ball.

But reckoning will come when all those young guys need second contracts. Just like it does for every team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":cbln5qmh said:
Sgt. Largent":cbln5qmh said:

Well except SF won because of talent and scheme. It was clear domination in the trenches. Give the Hawks that SF line and we would have blown GB out too..

Wasn't just talent and scheme. Did you see Richard following Adams? Why didn't we do that with Griffin, instead of just allowing Adams to abuse Flowers for 160 yards and two TD's?

Did you see SF's LB's and D-lineman stunting, confusing and making it difficult for Rodgers to get comfortable and into rhythm? Why didn't we do more of that?

I get it, SF's talent on defense is insane. But if you didn't notice how Saleh and Shanahan are more creative within the one high cover three scheme, I don't know what to tell you. It's there.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Packers receivers didn't get open because they don't have any.

They have Davante Adams and no one else. And he still burned SF a couple of times.

Aarons arm has noodle syndrome. So SF rarely had to cover beyond 10 yards.

Kinger95

Reaction score
49ers haven’t had the rest of the league pillage their free agents/had to give out big contracts to their best player like we have had to. Just wait. They’re good but they face challenges in the next 2 years they will have holes like we do

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Kinger95":12sguimw said:
49ers haven’t had the rest of the league pillage their free agents/had to give out big contracts to their best player like we have had to. Just wait. They’re good but they face challenges in the next 2 years they will have holes like we do

Yep.

Remember how cocky we were in 2013? We thought it'd last forever. We were the youngest team, the most talented team, the fastest team...........and the sky was the limit.

Not saying SF doesn't have a fantastic foundation of players and coaches in place to make a long successful run. But I never buy the hype for future success because no one knows more than us how fast it can all collapse once a few key pieces;

- get paid
- get hurt
- move on

It's what everyone said about the Rams last year before the SB, what a genius McVay was, and they're primed for a dynasty. Smash cut to them getting their poop pushed in by the Patriots in the SB, and they haven't been the same since.

Polk738

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":n9o2bmzv said:
Kinger95":n9o2bmzv said:

Yep.

Remember how cocky we were in 2013? We thought it'd last forever. We were the youngest team, the most talented team, the fastest team...........and the sky was the limit.

Not saying SF doesn't have a fantastic foundation of players and coaches in place to make a long successful run. But I never buy the hype for future success because no one knows more than us how fast it can all collapse once a few key pieces;

- get paid
- get hurt
- move on

It's what everyone said about the Rams last year before the SB, what a genius McVay was, and they're primed for a dynasty. Smash cut to them getting their poop pushed in by the Patriots in the SB, and they haven't been the same since.

Exactly, we're gonna see very soon how good Jimmy GQ REALLY is when he doesn't have that excellent run game and defense to bail out some of his bad throws, right now he is pretty much just another Trent Dilfer at this point.

Kinger95

Reaction score
I’m still bitter about them getting sherm. God I hate the niners. Plus like others have said they essentially ranked to get good picks and now all the fair weather fans have crawled back out

OP
OP
K

kmeleon

Reaction score
Largent80":znms6ctt said:
Nowhere near the Hawks 2013 D....Not even close.

They're very talented. They're fast, stacked at nearly every position, etc. They're a bit more "flashy" with what they do compared to our version. But yes, statistically our Defense was better.

It was really just the fact that they're running the Seattle D that got to me.

OP
OP
K

kmeleon

Reaction score
Kinger95":3uv8708n said:

Oh absolutely! They better enjoy it while they can, because each player on that team is one game away from becoming "the best player on the team and the reason they won a SB". Everyone will want to get paid....They won't have top of round draft picks anymore to re-stock pile players and it will all come to an end.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Largent80":3psvwc3i said:
Co-sign.
People seem to forget that we were an inch from beating them twice with a garbage O line along with the rest of our bandaid roster. Russ was moving the chains at will. Pffft.....
Our D was historic. The current whiner squad is NOTHING like ours was. This is such a dumb thread. :roll:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":12x9aq0y said:
Largent80":12x9aq0y said:
Co-sign.
People seem to forget that we were an inch from beating them twice with a garbage O line along with the rest of our bandaid roster. Russ was moving the chains at will. Pffft.....
Our D was historic. The current whiner squad is NOTHING like ours was. This is such a dumb thread. :roll:

Their front 4 is superior to us from 2013 let alone now. You could argue that for the front 7 actually.

If LOB refers to the secondary...
Sherm's still Sherm. Better than Griffin, and better than most in the league.
Moseley>Tre Flowers. Is Tre Flowers "better" than Lane? Who knows? Lane suffered a gruesome injury that ended his career short.
Tartt and McDougald, fairly similar
Diggs vs. Jimmy Ward--hard to compare; they both excel at different things, with Diggs probably more fundamentally capable but JW able to do all sorts of swiss army-knifey things.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Kinger95":2bi0cta5 said:

Then we will see how good Lynch is. Hawks picks have been woeful since 2013. Sure there are a couple of outliers to that assessment but on the whole, especially on Defense it is on point. RW is what is keeping this team afloat, period, the end. I don't think Garrapolo will be able to done anything close so the 9er's will be more dependent on assessing and aquiring young talent.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1nld19u4 said:
Seahwkgal":1nld19u4 said:
Largent80":1nld19u4 said:
Co-sign.

Their front 4 is superior to us from 2013 let alone now. You could argue that for the front 7 actually.

If LOB refers to the secondary...
Sherm's still Sherm. Better than Griffin, and better than most in the league.
Moseley>Tre Flowers. Is Tre Flowers "better" than Lane? Who knows? Lane suffered a gruesome injury that ended his career short.
Tartt and McDougald, fairly similar
Diggs vs. Jimmy Ward--hard to compare; they both excel at different things, with Diggs probably more fundamentally capable but JW able to do all sorts of swiss army-knifey things.

We will just agree to disagree then.
2013/14 Seahawks D was historic. Don’t compare the current team to our legendary D. That is not the topic and you know it. They might have a ‘slight’ edge with the front 4 over our 2013-14 squad. The rest nowhere near as talented. We had Sherman in his prime. They don’t.

Just stop.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1pu2me9o said:
Mad Dog":1pu2me9o said:
Sgt. Largent":1pu2me9o said:

Well except SF won because of talent and scheme. It was clear domination in the trenches. Give the Hawks that SF line and we would have blown GB out too..

Wasn't just talent and scheme. Did you see Richard following Adams? Why didn't we do that with Griffin, instead of just allowing Adams to abuse Flowers for 160 yards and two TD's?

Did you see SF's LB's and D-lineman stunting, confusing and making it difficult for Rodgers to get comfortable and into rhythm? Why didn't we do more of that?

I get it, SF's talent on defense is insane. But if you didn't notice how Saleh and Shanahan are more creative within the one high cover three scheme, I don't know what to tell you. It's there.

Pretty sure Adams beat Sherm for a long gainer too.

Pretty sure The Griffin Brothers sacked Aaron on a stunt and CB blitz combo.

This seems to be confirmation bias to sell the agenda: "Every other team is more imaginative than us"

Fact is: Both the SF Niners and KC Chiefs are more talented teams due to either having a great QB on a low rookie contract or a great DL on low rookie contracts. And health. They hardly need to be overly creative to beat everyone.

It's less about the X's and O's and more about the Jimmy's and Joe's.

Latest posts