NHL to announce opening of formal expansion process

m0ng0

Reaction score
yep i would support a team in Portland or Seattle, but I would rather see either place get an existing team over an expansion team.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3t9e8mwx said:
I have had high hopes for NHL in Seattle for years. And for years they've boned us with petty politics. Sadly, I don't see this changing any time soon, and so my hopes for this happening amount to this: I'm not holding out any hope at all, and no longer can get myself excited about it because they're just going to piss on my parade. When, if ever, it becomes a reality, a 100% for-certain inevitability, my excitement will return in full force. Until then, Seattle politics can bite me.
Pretty much where I stand right now. The NHL wants to be here BAD, they just need an arena to play at (and no the Key isn't suitable for hockey). Leave it up to the moronic Seattle city council to screw this up. It's just sad on so many levels.

Boycie

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2ylvw8ce said:
ShyCheetah":2ylvw8ce said:
The Commissioner doth protest too much, methinks.

http://www.tsn.ca/bettman-nhl-would-not ... e-1.431052

Shy
Yep, he really wanted a Seattle area bid to come in. It's his fault for raising the expansion fee to 500 million, he severely over played his hand in that regard.

They should just move the Coyotes into Seattle. I would love to have a team down the I5. I could just see it now, go to a Saturday night hockey game against the Canucks, and then watch a Hawks game on Sunday. That would make for a great trip for me and the boys.

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":4gvd0nwq said:
Sports Hernia":4gvd0nwq said:
ShyCheetah":4gvd0nwq said:

Shy
Yep, he really wanted a Seattle area bid to come in. It's his fault for raising the expansion fee to 500 million, he severely over played his hand in that regard.

They should just move the Coyotes into Seattle. I would love to have a team down the I5. I could just see it now, go to a Saturday night hockey game against the Canucks, and then watch a Hawks game on Sunday. That would make for a great trip for me and the boys.

We were hours away from having them too in 2013. So close.

Boycie

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2br2x9fb said:
Ace_Rimmer":2br2x9fb said:
Sports Hernia":2br2x9fb said:
ShyCheetah":2br2x9fb said:

Shy

We were hours away from having them too in 2013. So close.

It would be awesome if Seattle got a team. I am a fan of all the Seattle teams, so it would be weird rooting against them when they played the Nucks.

soohawk

Reaction score
arizona coyotes are bettmans baby, he will not be allowing them to relocate anytime soon. case in point, the league ran the team at a deficit (iirc) for a few years until they were able to right the finances, build a decent roster, run it for pennies on the dollar and sell it to whoever could write the cheque. it took about 3 buyers before a real purchase could be conceived.

good news for the folks in seattle is that the league now has 31 teams (15 west and 16 east), so they will be moving another team from the east to the west as a relocation endeavor or they will expand again to right the schedules and provide even balanced conferences. shame your city council are a bunch of angry, spiteful emotionally damaged immature individuals who hate sports...when can you vote these smucks out of power?

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Maulbert":1bbd06qe said:
Anyone else get the feeling the NHL really wants Seattle to get it's $#!+ together so it can balance the conferences?

It's not happening in Seattle, I'm convinced of that. The city council is a massive road block to getting anything done. No one is going to want to deal with what Hansen has been dealing with for years... its just futile dealing with the city. The Port of Seattle owns at least 5 council members, and then people like Bagshaw will not allow any arena to be built as long as the Key exist.

The only hope is someone like Bartoszek builds his own arena outside the city limits, and works with the NHL. But as we saw, there were apparently 3 groups interested in an expansion team, but they all ran for the hills when the $500 million fee was announced.

So who knows... maybe there are some super rich guys in the shadows preparing to get this all done. :roll:

Maulbert

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1ybhuom1 said:
Maulbert":1ybhuom1 said:
Anyone else get the feeling the NHL really wants Seattle to get it's $#!+ together so it can balance the conferences?

It's not happening in Seattle, I'm convinced of that. The city council is a massive road block to getting anything done. No one is going to want to deal with what Hansen has been dealing with for years... its just futile dealing with the city. The Port of Seattle owns at least 5 council members, and then people like Bagshaw will not allow any arena to be built as long as the Key exist.

The only hope is someone like Bartoszek builds his own arena outside the city limits, and works with the NHL. But as we saw, there were apparently 3 groups interested in an expansion team, but they all ran for the hills when the $500 million fee was announced.

So who knows... maybe there are some super rich guys in the shadows preparing to get this all done. :roll:

I just meant it feels like the NHL really wants the PNW. Otherwise they would have awarded a 32nd franchise to Quebec City.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
soohawk":2fsp229f said:
arizona coyotes are bettmans baby, he will not be allowing them to relocate anytime soon. case in point, the league ran the team at a deficit (iirc) for a few years until they were able to right the finances, build a decent roster, run it for pennies on the dollar and sell it to whoever could write the cheque. it took about 3 buyers before a real purchase could be conceived.

good news for the folks in seattle is that the league now has 31 teams (15 west and 16 east), so they will be moving another team from the east to the west as a relocation endeavor or they will expand again to right the schedules and provide even balanced conferences. shame your city council are a bunch of angry, spiteful emotionally damaged immature individuals who hate sports...when can you vote these smucks out of power?
Yes, the coyotes are the Sac Kings of the NHL.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":tu5fgflr said:
Yes, they want a natural rivalry with the Canucks, plus they view the Seattle market as an huge untapped revenue
stream.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Bettman still trying to sell the game to the USA...Too bad was hoping Quebec would get it. Best rivalry in sports was Montreal vs Quebec.

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
This is the new owner of the expansion Vegas hockey team.

https://twitter.com/BillFoleyHockey

He has ties to Seattle. :cry: :cry:

MBA from Seattle U.
Degree from UW School of Law
On advisory board for UW School of Law
Owner of Walla Walla's Three Rivers Winery

But gets team for Las Vegas..... and I dont blame him at all. The local gov. probably rolled out the red carpet for him.

Boycie

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":fe9lb5rr said:
Maulbert":fe9lb5rr said:
Yes, they want a natural rivalry with the Canucks, plus they view the Seattle market as an huge untapped revenue
stream.

I wouldn't be surprised if Canucks ownership has voiced their displeasure of a team in Seattle, as it may draw away from their fan base. Both Buffalo, and Toronto have been stumbling blocks in getting another team into the Ontario market.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
Is the Tw*tter chick with the uppity hipster glasses a credible source? I searched for NHL to Seattle and found nothing new.

ShyCheetah

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":30iap1gc said:
Sports Hernia":30iap1gc said:
Maulbert":30iap1gc said:
stream.

I wouldn't be surprised if Canucks ownership has voiced their displeasure of a team in Seattle, as it may draw away from their fan base. Both Buffalo, and Toronto have been stumbling blocks in getting another team into the Ontario market.

I doubt it. The Canucks would have a problem if Surrey or Richmond or West Van got a team sure. Their goes one of their densest or richest fan concentrations. Which would be the case in TO if Markham got a team. I don't imagine leageons of Washingtonians comprise their season ticket base as is the case with Buffalo. TO is being a douche because it can. I highly doubt Buffalo cares if Markham got a team but possibly if Hamilton does. Notice how Ottawa isnt bothered at all? Hamilton should have gotten a team except their perspective owner was basically challenging the league with his bravado. Seattle should get a team and Van would welcome them much like Ottawa would Hamilton.

Shy

Latest posts