NHL to announce opening of formal expansion process

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3bw4ai7x said:
you guys really want NHL hockey in your city? The NHL is garbage now...

Uh yep!

original

ShyCheetah

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2tetu0rg said:
ShyCheetah":2tetu0rg said:
The Commissioner doth protest too much, methinks.

http://www.tsn.ca/bettman-nhl-would-not ... e-1.431052

Shy
Yep, he really wanted a Seattle area bid to come in. It's his fault for raising the expansion fee to 500 million, he severely over played his hand in that regard.

I think he played his hand well considering he got two cities to bite. That's a billion dollar influx. I also think Seattle would have stepped up if only they had a stadium plan in place ready to roll. All existing franchises just got more expensive. I imagine the NHL noticed the NFLs relocation fee and are planning something similar to boot. You pay either way.

Shy

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":12f1qbqh said:
ShyCheetah":12f1qbqh said:

Shy
Yep, he really wanted a Seattle area bid to come in. It's his fault for raising the expansion fee to 500 million, he severely over played his hand in that regard.

Was the 500 million the sticking point?

Seems to me we had 2-3 serious groups interested in NHL franchises in Seattle AND Tukwila............then all of a sudden when it came time to pony up, they all ran for the hills.

To me this is all becoming one sick joke that our terrible city and county councils can't get their crap together long enough to approve Hansen's site. Delay after delay, roadblock after roadblock.

It's a microcosm for how dysfunctional and horrible our state and local government is when it comes to working together. Everyone has to carve out their piece of the pie, just like the national level. If I was Hansen I'd tell em all to go jump in a lake, I'm done. It's years beyond the point of ridiculous.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hbd453b said:
Sports Hernia":2hbd453b said:
ShyCheetah":2hbd453b said:

Shy

Seems to me we had 2-3 serious groups interested in NHL franchises in Seattle AND Tukwila............then all of a sudden when it came time to pony up, they all ran for the hills.

To me this is all becoming one sick joke that our terrible city and county councils can't get their crap together long enough to approve Hansen's site. Delay after delay, roadblock after roadblock.

It's a microcosm for how dysfunctional and horrible our state and local government is when it comes to working together. Everyone has to carve out their piece of the pie, just like the national level. If I was Hansen I'd tell em all to go jump in a lake, I'm done. It's years beyond the point of ridiculous.
I cannot argue with anything you wrote there. Seattle politics suck.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3n08tm0g said:
Sgt. Largent":3n08tm0g said:
Sports Hernia":3n08tm0g said:
ShyCheetah":3n08tm0g said:

Shy

I cannot argue with anything you wrote there. Seattle politics suck.

Unless it's adding toll lanes to back up more traffic and garner more revenue they can waste. Tunnel project is doing so well. :)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So what I'm getting following all the Sonics accounts on Twitter is the new new new new new new vote is too close to call, and the council members are all tired of this subject and don't think it's a priority right now because the NHL and NBA haven't expressed any interest in coming to Seattle.

Even though both HAVE expressed interest if we build a stadium.

Right there folks is our problem.

City and County: "Give us teams and we'll consider building"
NHL and NBA: "No, you build the arena and we'll consider giving you a team"
City and County: "No U"
NHL and NBA: "No U"

m0ng0

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":f4kpvb7l said:
City and County: "Give us teams and we'll consider building"
NHL and NBA: "No, you build the arena and we'll consider giving you a team"
City and County: "No U"
NHL and NBA: "No U"

Bingo :th2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The NHL wants to come here BAD, but they won't until there is a suitible arena, and Key Arena doesn't qualify.
I think they are hoping and banking on Tukwila or Bellevue to jump into the arena game.

soohawk

Reaction score
Subzero717":2kfhm6mu said:
Where is Quebec getting $500 mill?

Pierre Karl Peladeau (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Karl_P%C3%A9ladeau)

He recently got divorced and stepped down as the leader of the Parti Quebecois but he is the owner of a french media conglomerate (Quebecor) in Quebec. He has already built a ready to use arena (Pepsi Centre) in Quebec City to replace the aging Colissee.

I have no idea how or if this is going to come to fruition but my favorite team as a child was the Nordiques so I am anxiously awaiting their return.

Only Gary Bettman knows what the plan is...maybe Bill Daly as well

m0ng0

Reaction score
Jeezus. until you build an arena this is just stupidity, it's a pretty simple game except seattle is behind the eight ball, no one is going to come without an arena and no arena is built until someone is coming, they call that a catch 22... Unless somebody says screw it I am building regardless it ain't going to happen.

Throwdown

Reaction score
m0ng0":2awny2hw said:
Jeezus. until you build an arena this is just stupidity, it's a pretty simple game except seattle is behind the eight ball, no one is going to come without an arena and no arena is built until someone is coming, they call that a catch 22... Unless somebody says screw it I am building regardless it ain't going to happen.

We don't even have an arena plan anymore, SCC practically killed it.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I have had high hopes for NHL in Seattle for years. And for years they've boned us with petty politics. Sadly, I don't see this changing any time soon, and so my hopes for this happening amount to this: I'm not holding out any hope at all, and no longer can get myself excited about it because they're just going to piss on my parade. When, if ever, it becomes a reality, a 100% for-certain inevitability, my excitement will return in full force. Until then, Seattle politics can bite me.