NHL to announce opening of formal expansion process

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":3iugij7b said:
So same ole same ole, talk is cheap, Cities and Politicians all say how great it would be, then when the time comes to put up and back up your talk they all run to the hills and blame the voters or the councils or someone else.

Just makes my disdain for Shultz all the more justified, could have sold to Balmer, we would have the Sonics, the Arena and with this a Hockey team.
I understand your frustration and feel it myself, and I completely understand the wait and see attitude.
The difference is he NHL wants to be here bad vs the NBA that maybe wants to be here if their 100+ conditions are met.

The NHL will be coming to Seattle, it's just a matter of when. The NBA? who knows.

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Interesting, thats the first place I've seen that says no bids will come from here.... maybe they just mean 'Seattle' as in the Sodo arena, Coleman/Hansen bid.

And not the Ray Bartoszek/Tukwila bid. Guess we'll see today.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I have no more confidence in any of these groups. I mean the Tukwila group has 40 mins to get their bid in and I just don't see our happening.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Exittium":1s2or7ig said:
I honestly have to questin Hansen's intentions tbh. I understand he wants an NBA team, but the chances of that happening soon are much less than the NHL. The NHL WANTS to be in Seattle. I honestly don't trust nor like Hansen, something about him just rubs me wrong (appropriately speaking of course)

Put yourself in Hansen's position. The dude's already shelled out literally millions and millions of dollars to purchase real estate, pay for plans, the EIS, and who knows what else.............and he still doesn't have an NBA team, nor even a sniff of one right now.

So if an NHL owner group wants to bring hockey to Seattle, Hansen has to make sure THEY pay for all the changes, replanning and jumping through the political hoops, not him.

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
So no bids at all from Seattle, not even Ray Bartoszek group. :x

Only Vegas and Quebec City.

Bummer.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GeoffBakerTIMES/status/623258085272895488[/tweet]

Already privately funding arena, tough to come up with another $500 million for expansion fee. :Dunno:

Seriously bummed

Msfann

Reaction score
1HWQIPa.gif

I copied this link from another forum.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Really hard not to just start to feel like nothing good will ever happen on the NBA/NHL front for Seattle. Ever.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1r4z49aq said:
So no bids at all from Seattle, not even Ray Bartoszek group. :x

Only Vegas and Quebec City.

Bummer.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GeoffBakerTIMES/status/623258085272895488[/tweet]

Already privately funding arena, tough to come up with another $500 million for expansion fee. :Dunno:

Seriously bummed
Yeah it's a temporary pisser! I hoping that GB works some David Stern like shenanigans if he really really wants a team soon in Seattle.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bigtime bummer, but it's hard to blame Bartoszek for not wanting to pay that insanely high franchise fee AND pay for a 100% fully privately funded arena.

This isn't over, once Tukwila gets their EIS done and gives Bartoszek the go ahead to start looking for a franchise my guess is he's going to look for a struggling franchise.

Hell, who knows, maybe the league will give Vegas the new franchise and let Bartosezek purchase the Coyotes in a year or two when we're further down the road with the arena.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Throwdown":1tp7yqbc said:
Can someone tell me how far along that Tukwila plan is?

The land's been purchased and last week I read they were trying to get the EIS done ASAP to meet the deadline.

But from all the reports, it wasn't the site or anything to do with Tukwila that Bartoszek balked at, it was 100% the crazy 500 million franchise fee.

Last I read Bartoszek's net worth is only around 1 billion. I know ONLY 1 billion, but that's not a lot when you're solely responsible for purchasing the land, paying the 500 million franchise fee AND privately funding a new arena. Seems like all that would be well north of 1 Billion, the guy's entire net worth.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":14nm2027 said:
NHL gets real dang snarky with expansion groups that missed deadline

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/7 ... d-deadline

Lol.

For a league seemingly always on the brink of financial hardship constantly crying about labor negotiations, low TV ratings and half it's franchises in the red, you'd think they'd be more accommodating and understanding of ownership groups like Bartoszek balking at not only an insane franchise fee............but a crazy short two week period in which to get an arena plan in place.

IMO the owners thought there would be at least 4-5 groups, if not more running for their wallets to pay them 500 million to divide up amongst themselves. So SB Nation is right, that statement right there is 100% butthurt on the leagues part.

I'm sure Bartoszek and the other serious ownership groups would like to know where the hell the league pulled 500 million from, when almost 2/3rd's of it's franchises are worth less than that. Established franchises, not new ones that are going to take a BEATING for 5-10 years trying to win with minor league players.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/#p ... asc_search:

m0ng0

Reaction score
This 500 Million dollar fee has been talked about for quite a while, how could he NOT know it was going to be expensive.

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
ShyCheetah":3tto9qu1 said:
A glimmer of hope. The NHL may be stalling expansion process for Seattle.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/expansion-draf ... e-1.405905

The 11th prediction is of particular interest.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/mondaymustread ... 0-1.405421

Shy

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-remains-in-contac ... s-1.406167

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. — Even though the NHL’s current expansion process only included applications from Las Vegas and Quebec City, the league has remained in contact with interested parties from Seattle.

“People continue to want to own a franchise in Seattle,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said Tuesday. “But the issue there is there’s got to be an arena. Unless there’s an arena, there’s no prospect of a franchise.”

Some believe the NHL’s expansion process has slowed considerably in the last six months to wait and see if an arena does indeed materialize in the Pacific Northwest.

:shock: Please please please please