NHL to announce opening of formal expansion process

m0ng0

Reaction score
Well the Hansen group is out because they want the NBA first, I don't see him building an arena without a basketball team in place at least in principle.

Does Hansen allow the building of a multi purpose arena in Tukwila that is intended for hockey but "could" also house a basketball team? Could he throw a wrench into the other groups plans somehow? Would he?

What does the NBA do in 5 years when they decide (hypothetically) on expansion? Do they go with the beautiful arena in Tukwila or Hansens blueprints?

Would Hansen be open to owning a team playing its games in someone else's arena.......in Tukwila?

Does he break ground his own multi purpose arena and compete head to head for dollars with a hockey team in a beautiful building while his new expansion team (which would likely suck for 5 years) plays its first 2 years in a Key Arena that is 5 years older?

Whomever builds the building first will own Seattle's winter sports dollar, I don't think Hansen could sell the city of Seattle on a publicly funded new arena when a more then capable one exists in Tukwila.

What happens if the Tukwila ownership group has no intention of owning an NBA team or sharing their building with an NBA team?

I know you want hockey, will it work in the "burbs" Would the NBA also work there?

I hope it works, but one could potentially ruin your chances for the other.

And on the other hand a building could bring both (hopefully)

I would really relish the idea of the rivalry between the Portland Coyotes :D The Seattle expansion team and the Vancouver Canucks.......that would be AWESOME!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2yyqnr2z said:
Wayne Gretzky has joined a group of investors hoping to bring a National Hockey League team to Seattle, The Post has learned.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/12/3/5 ... na-project Dec 3, 2013

With all of that in mind, Chris Daniels of King 5 News in Seattle is reporting that former NHL star Jeremy Roenick was in Seattle on Monday participating in a meeting with the arena project's primary figure head, Chris Hansen, and an investment group to discuss the potential of an expansion franchise in The Emerald City

This is gigantic. If guys like Roenick and Gretsky are the face of any ownership group, the league is going to listen.

Exittium

Reaction score
I think it would be sweet to have a Hockey team back in Seattle. Home of the 1st US Stanely cup champions, Seattle Metropolitans, who were also an Expansion team.

Edit: So does that give us back a Trophy we lost due the team folding? After all its was a Seattle Team.

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score

Exittium

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1i1j4hjb said:
I'm getting so ahead of myself.... if this doesn't happen I'm going to be so sad. :cry:

But what do you guys think about the names Pilots or Krakens?

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/913 ... ept/page-3

PilotslogoslickA zps1cd552f4
PilotsUniforms A zpsa5ed8dfb

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1613539

I've really warmed up to the Pilots thing, we have history with that name, (the old baseball team), the colors are great and seem to really represent the northwest.... kinda diggin it.

I like it :th2thumbs: .. minus the alt green. Maybe if they used the wolf gray kind of like our current Hawks uniforms. And maybe same concept in terms of for alternative jersey they do white's instead of wolf gray and for road games wear the wolf grays lol. Idk that Alt just hurts my eyes. The blue works, the gray and green works, but the middle 3 colors shown on that palette do not look good together with that blue and green.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":izl6opdz said:
Tical21":izl6opdz said:
I know I'm Debbie Downer, but, first, I think Quebec has a leg up on us with the structure and automatic fan support in place. Secondly, I don't see us as a hugely successful hockey town. Unlike soccer, hockey isn't a yuppie or techy sport. I know the T-birds have had a faithful following, but I don't know that there are enough sports fans in this area intrigued enough by hockey to support it after the christening wears off.

I have to disagree. NHL hockey would explode here. This area is ideal for so many reasons. Quebec City may have the hockey pedigree, but the Frenchies already have a team in Montreal. Expanding your franchise is about making money, and the NHL would make a killing here. If the choice is between here and Quebec City, we have it in the bag and the NHL would be stupefyingly dim to pass up an opportunity to reach a nearly untapped market full of very well paid tech sector workers.

Pretty much every sports fan I know would be all over this in perpetuity.
I agree 110%, well said!

Maulbert

Reaction score
Original 309229 UztavTIro2CdDnEq UGcH5W89

Still think this would be the best name. Alliteration, double meaning, and it fits locally, instead of just being a generic name that could work in any city (opening myself to attack here), ie Metropolitans.

Exittium

Reaction score
Maulbert":3vdrspwj said:
Original 309229 UztavTIro2CdDnEq UGcH5W89

Still think this would be the best name. Alliteration, double meaning, and it fits locally, instead of just being a generic name that could work in any city (opening myself to attack here), ie Metropolitans.

See I've see a lot I like, great names and ideas and concepts, but I keep seeing color schemes that don't look good together, or don't fit imo the "Seattle style" I guess on one hand as a Seattle sports fan I've become spoiled by our unique color schemes, with the Mariners, to the Sonics bright green and gold, to the sounders and seahawks.

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3ikkh9gv said:
chris98251":3ikkh9gv said:
The Pilot reminds me of Red Baron Pizza.
or a fancy Pmedic! 8)

Some people mentioned that on the board I found that at, I think it should be more of an updated pilot logo, something more modern? Versus the Red Baron/barnstormer type look.

But that secondary logo looks great, with the S and the wings.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Pilots sounds meh. Sockeyes is unique.. I can get behind that one.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ice Hawks
Ice Dogs
Jimmies
Scrotes
Grunge
Gridlock
Passive-Aggressives
Fish
Pot smokin' Dante's

m0ng0

Reaction score
This has turned into the cutest little thread ever, I am waiting for paper dolls and mockups.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ovnj0xv said:
twisted_steel2":3ovnj0xv said:
Wayne Gretzky has joined a group of investors hoping to bring a National Hockey League team to Seattle, The Post has learned.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/12/3/5 ... na-project Dec 3, 2013

With all of that in mind, Chris Daniels of King 5 News in Seattle is reporting that former NHL star Jeremy Roenick was in Seattle on Monday participating in a meeting with the arena project's primary figure head, Chris Hansen, and an investment group to discuss the potential of an expansion franchise in The Emerald City

This is gigantic. If guys like Roenick and Gretsky are the face of any ownership group, the league is going to listen.

Gretzky has backed out, blaming Chambers Bay.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":dc8c1pdh said:
Ice Hawks
Ice Dogs
Jimmies
Scrotes
Grunge
Gridlock
Passive-Aggressives
Fish
Pot smokin' Dante's