NFL Teams Chasing the LOB

HawaiiD

Reaction score
Is that for sure? I thought the length of his suspension will be determined when he actually applies for reinstatement and is granted?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
byau":1lkhw80h said:
One thing about technique: it's this "positional" system that the Hawks are also employing.

Whenever Richard Sherman gets into beefs about being the best cornerback, have you noticed the biggest argument against Sherman is that he doesn't always pick up the best receiver, he picks up only his side.

If you ask me, that's a strength. What PC/JS and the coordinators are developing is a system. When you can focus on one task, in this case Sherman focuses on covering one side, then everyone is more familiar with where their teammates are and the possibilities of jumping coverages and what not.

This is a STRENGTH.

One of the simplest games to understand is baseball. And when fielding, Iin baseball, every position on the field has a place they need to be on every play. Depending on how many people on base, what base, how many outs, and how and where the ball is hit, each fielder runs to a specific direction. You don't see the best outfielder moving from left field to right field to center depending on who's at bat.

The more you play a position, the more familiar you are, the better you get at that position.

Go Hawks :D

Beyond that, it also makes the system more important than the player. If we were relying on Sherm to follow the best guy all over the field, his loss would be devastating. Like it was for the Jets when Revis got hurt. Or the Pats when Talib went out.

Part of Seattle's assignment soundness is because players trust what is happening around them. The simplicity of the D plays a huge role in that trust. It may not allow a player like Sherm to showcase his talents all the time, but it does allow a player like Lane to take his place and minimize the dropoff.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
byau":3rkgf3cp said:
One thing about technique: it's this "positional" system that the Hawks are also employing.

Whenever Richard Sherman gets into beefs about being the best cornerback, have you noticed the biggest argument against Sherman is that he doesn't always pick up the best receiver, he picks up only his side.

If you ask me, that's a strength. What PC/JS and the coordinators are developing is a system. When you can focus on one task, in this case Sherman focuses on covering one side, then everyone is more familiar with where their teammates are and the possibilities of jumping coverages and what not.

This is a STRENGTH.

One of the simplest games to understand is baseball. And when fielding, Iin baseball, every position on the field has a place they need to be on every play. Depending on how many people on base, what base, how many outs, and how and where the ball is hit, each fielder runs to a specific direction. You don't see the best outfielder moving from left field to right field to center depending on who's at bat.

The more you play a position, the more familiar you are, the better you get at that position.

Very well put...

-The Glove-

Reaction score
HawaiiD":z0w5tjpn said:
Is that for sure? I thought the length of his suspension will be determined when he actually applies for reinstatement and is granted?
his reinstatement has already been granted. The terms of that were 4 games missed and an add'l 4 games of pay forfeited

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
ET, Sherm, Kam. (*Maxwell)

BB, Revis, McCourty. (*Dennard)

-Thurmond, Cromartie, Rolle. (*Amukamara)

*Depth Player

I'd put my money on Seattle a million times. Other teams can imitate what's going on in the PNW, but they won't be able to duplicate it. Too much coaching and talent, not to mention this will be the 5 year Pete's system will be rolled out. Whereas the rest of these teams need to make their adjustments and get players acclimated to the new systems...I can't imagine this being done overnight.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Largent80":5zfqlj40 said:
Revis and Browner are a mismatch. Revis is not LOB calibre.
I think they'll work out nicely but it's their safeties that won't allow them to be at the LoB level.

sc85sis

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1dtm84l3 said:
I believe it's Pete's genius that has been instrumental in formulating this first of it's kind Secondary.
It has taken time for these guys to come together as the intelligent, and cohesive unit we all see swarming the secondary, it didn't happen overnight, and it won't be instantly replicated either.
I wonder if Lawyer Milloy (sp.) didn't inspire Pete to undertake this experiment, as I really don't recall Pete doing, or even atempting this while Coaching in College, or the two other stints in the NFL, thoughts?
Pete never had the guys who could do it and learn all the intricacies of what he wanted to do. He found it wasn't possible with college players who have to balance class time with football.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
sc85sis":307d8azc said:
scutterhawk":307d8azc said:
I believe it's Pete's genius that has been instrumental in formulating this first of it's kind Secondary.
It has taken time for these guys to come together as the intelligent, and cohesive unit we all see swarming the secondary, it didn't happen overnight, and it won't be instantly replicated either.
I wonder if Lawyer Milloy (sp.) didn't inspire Pete to undertake this experiment, as I really don't recall Pete doing, or even atempting this while Coaching in College, or the two other stints in the NFL, thoughts?
Pete never had the guys who could do it and learn all the intricacies of what he wanted to do. He found it wasn't possible with college players who have to balance class time with football.

Pete definitely attempted this model while at SC, but as you say, he was limited by the restrictions on scholarship athletes. He has always looked for great safeties. The closet thing he had to Earl Thomas while at SC was Troy Polamalu. He mostly looked for huge SS's, like Chancellor.

His 2008 defense was arguably the most talented college defense of all time. 230 lbs, hard-hitting Kevin Ellison was his SS. 220 lbs Taylor Mays with a 4.3 40 was his FS. Ellison started for SD, but then blew out his knee and retired. Shareece Wright (currently starting for SD) and six-foot Carry Harris/Kevin Thomas were his corners. Clay Matthews, Brian Cushing, Rey Maualuga, and Kaluka Maiava were his LBs. All became starting LBs in the NFL. It was a pretty talented group forming the #1 defense in the country. Amazingly, they allowed just six passing TDs all season.

byau

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1glcgn1u said:
byau":1glcgn1u said:

Beyond that, it also makes the system more important than the player. If we were relying on Sherm to follow the best guy all over the field, his loss would be devastating. Like it was for the Jets when Revis got hurt. Or the Pats when Talib went out.

Part of Seattle's assignment soundness is because players trust what is happening around them. The simplicity of the D plays a huge role in that trust. It may not allow a player like Sherm to showcase his talents all the time, but it does allow a player like Lane to take his place and minimize the dropoff.

Oh yeah for sure. Great point.

This is why the Seahawks can do a "Next Up" system. And how you insert players into a system when starters get injured or suspended or what not.

NINEster

Reaction score
Largent80":2x4y4owe said:
Revis and Browner are a mismatch. Revis is not LOB calibre.

Revis never had a secondary in NY like Sherman has with the Hawks, and was the unanimous best corner in the NFL for years.

Revis in Seattle would be scary.

We really don't know how good Sherman is all by himself, and has shown a vulnerability to quick slot guy types that Revis has been able to handle.

"Revis is not LOB caliber" is like a 49er fan saying Luke Keuchly isn't good enough to fill in for Bowman this year.

We'll see how long this reign of excellence lasts.