NFL Sanctions?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawker84":ajvx91b9 said:
SEATTLE PENALTIES COMING? Peter, when is the league going to do something with regard to the repeated four-game suspensions for the Seahawks? Walter Thurmond just got it. Last year it was Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman. Bruce Irvin, Allen Barbre, Winston Guy and John Moffitt have all been hit with substance-abuse-related issues since 2011. When does this become a repeat offender type of thing in the league’s eyes?

(Editor’s note: After this e-mail arrived, Browner reportedly got busted again and is facing a one-year suspension.)

—Michael Alexander

It’s a valid question. There is a formula that calls for teams to be disciplined in the form of a fine when more than one player on the team in a year is suspended for violating league policy. Irvin, Thurmond and Browner would be three in one year. The NFL is on record as saying that it will consider docking a franchise draft choices if the poor behavior persists, and so that’s certainly going to be a question for the Seahawks going forward.

Seattle likely will be fined more than $200,000 under the league’s disciplinary formula for teams, given that, according to Pro Football Talk, the fines kick in at one-fourth of the second suspended players’ fine, and rise to one-third of the third player’s fine. If Browner is gone for a year, that’s a healthy fine; he makes $773,000 in base salary.

The solution, obviously, is for players to stop messing up. But for now, owner Paul Allen is going to have to write some checks. And if the league is serious about stopping this behavior or at least trying to, there will be more discussion by the 32 owners about docking draft draft choices for a team with so many violators.

Got this off another board. Besides fines, could we possibly face more diciplinary action from the league if this continues? Perhaps losing Pete for a season like NO lost their coach. Anybody have knowledge of this stuff?
Lots of wishful thinking going on by the haters in that article. Did SF get did in trouble for multiple players violating laws? Did NE get in trouble for having a murderer on their team? So many things are BEYOND a team's control.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2zzy16bt said:
Scottemojo":2zzy16bt said:
When they fine the Patriots for having hired a murderer I will get behind penalties for the weed.
Or rape, or shooting off their guns, or driving drunk, or beating their wives
Or beating up their moms (Dez Bryant - Dallas)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Rocket":hq0wxar7 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pete is a classic example of the coach that ignores last mistakes if he sees an ability to perform?
The substance issues, be they recreational or performance, would seem to follow, right?
Then add in his management style.

There is a downside for an upbeat "comPete" style of coach who gathers cast-offs.
I don't agree at all with your assessment that Pete ignores players that have F--ed up, because I think that he EXPECTS that they have probably learned their lesson, and it's a mistake that he feels is behind them, and time to move forward.
Though, Pete IS obviously guilty of taking these players at their word, when they're telling him that they've seen the light, and it won't happen again.
It's got to be a heavy angst on Pete, to know that his trust was shit all over by some of these guys though, especially when he's treating his players like they're family eh?

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Rocket":2yzytpgf said:
While I agree whole-heartedly about penalties for weed, it's still a Federal crime so there's some sense to it.

How much of this has to do with the recent legalization of marijuana in the State of Washington? Clearly there's a pervasive air of acceptance in Seattle. The fact that it continues to be a federal crime has no bearing since our government has no intention of enforcing it.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2hmjcbdf said:
Scottemojo":2hmjcbdf said:
When they fine the Patriots for having hired a murderer I will get behind penalties for the weed.

Maybe you should wait to see how Marshawn fairs in his DUI case before casting stones.

hawk45

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":d210ampl said:
-The Glove-":d210ampl said:
Scottemojo":d210ampl said:

Maybe you should wait to see how Marshawn fairs in his DUI case before casting stones.

His point still stands. As soon as we see penalties for guns, DUI, or wife-beating, NFL sanctions for weed can go hump sand.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
hawk45":1n0vlgnq said:
lvnginhwktwn":1n0vlgnq said:
-The Glove-":1n0vlgnq said:
Scottemojo":1n0vlgnq said:

His point still stands. As soon as we see penalties for guns, DUI, or wife-beating, NFL sanctions for weed can go hump sand.

Has the league come out and said what the substance was? I could be wrong and please correct me if I am but I dont think they have said it was weed.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":wlvcl7z2 said:
-The Glove-":wlvcl7z2 said:
Scottemojo":wlvcl7z2 said:

Who's casting stones? Nobody is singling out Aldon Smith here except you. I think Marshawn deserves a short suspension as a DUI is a much bigger transgression than smoking a little harmless herb.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
-The Glove-":28d55g94 said:
lvnginhwktwn":28d55g94 said:
-The Glove-":28d55g94 said:
Scottemojo":28d55g94 said:

Who's casting stones? Nobody is singling out Aldon Smith here except you. I think Marshawn deserves a short suspension as a DUI is a much bigger transgression than smoking a little harmless herb.

Agreed on the weed, but the league has not said it was weed, they said substance abuse, because of the privacy policy they're not allowed to disclose what the substance was. Now last time your guys got popped for "substance abuse" most of them came out and said it was Aderall. So why would anyone beilive it was only weed? I think if Browner or Thurmon gave a shit about your team they would allow the league to say what the substance was, and if its only weed it should be no big deal, but if they don't say then people are going to base their oppinions on the previous suspensions.

Bottom line is with your team having the most suspensions for this type of infraction, it cast a dark shadow on your teams accomplishments this year. For lack of better term "the Armstrong effect". It cast doubt, did Seattle win because they're all juiced up or because they're talented?

Maybe I jumped the gun on the Aldon DUI, but you guys were all over it, and when it happened Marshawn had already been popped for his DUI. Atleast the 49ers put Aldon in rehab and did without him for many weeks. What have the Hawks done about Marshawn?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":11ddlwow said:
Has the league come out and said what the substance was? I could be wrong and please correct me if I am but I dont think they have said it was weed.

Some people who say they are friends with Thurmond have said it was weed. No, Nothing official through the NFL, but that's what the word going around is from multiple people. I have read so many tweets and reports over the last 48 hours that I don't want to go back digging trying to find specific sources, but they are out there.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":ptdafmk1 said:
-The Glove-":ptdafmk1 said:
lvnginhwktwn":ptdafmk1 said:
-The Glove-":ptdafmk1 said:
Scottemojo said:

Agreed on the weed, but the league has not said it was weed, they said substance abuse, because of the privacy policy they're not allowed to disclose what the substance was. Now last time your guys got popped for "substance abuse" most of them came out and said it was Aderall. So why would anyone beilive it was only weed? I think if Browner or Thurmon gave a shit about your team they would allow the league to say what the substance was, and if its only weed it should be no big deal, but if they don't say then people are going to base their oppinions on the previous suspensions.

Bottom line is with your team having the most suspensions for this type of infraction, it cast a dark shadow on your teams accomplishments this year. For lack of better term "the Armstrong effect". It cast doubt, did Seattle win because they're all juiced up or because they're talented?

Maybe I jumped the gun on the Aldon DUI, but you guys were all over it, and when it happened Marshawn had already been popped for his DUI. Atleast the 49ers put Aldon in rehab and did without him for many weeks. What have the Hawks done about Marshawn?

You don't have to believe its weed. Just like you don't have to believe it was adderall. Only the players, the organization and the league knows. Like many others have stated previously, it doesn't matter what they took. The fact they took something that triggered a positive test that got them suspended is enough. Should I be less mad or more mad based on what it turns out to be? No, I'm still going to be upset they put the team in this position especially at this point in time.

With that said I think all non-Ped substance abuse (which is what Thurm and Browner's cases are) should be handled in a similar fashion. Alcohol is an even more dangerous substance that should be punished similarly, if not more severely.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Pete better watch out or they are going to eliminate all the team scholarships and institute a "super"bowl ban for the next 5 years......

...oh you mean these are adults acting of their own volition outside the confines of the team environment? Never mind than. The people comparing this to spygate and/or the bounty stuff are ridiculous. There are zero parallels. In those instances there was direct influence by coaches and staff with the violations. In this case the influence is tangential at best.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Not sure on this, but as they sign contracts to abide by league rules, they should have a punishment available to the coach to administer the slap on the wrist (rehab), kick in the shin (fine and suspension), Kick in the groin( fine and farther suspension), Or all out smackdown ( kick the person off the team without a chance for return). That is just the coach/GM of a team. Then the NFL may be able to get involved. But it is up to the contract and the rules/guidelines that he/she must abide by. I am sure that some abide by those guidelines and some dont. That is where the problem lies. Also the kids are probably not vetted into the retirement system, so their behavior should represent that they are willing to work under those guidelines. Should is the opportune term here. Good luck to our team.
Go Hawks.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":23u32s2c said:
Pete better watch out or they are going to eliminate all the team scholarships and institute a "super"bowl ban for the next 5 years......

...oh you mean these are adults acting of their own volition outside the confines of the team environment? Never mind than. The people comparing this to spygate and/or the bounty stuff are ridiculous. There are zero parallels. In those instances there was direct influence by coaches and staff with the violations. In this case the influence is tangential at best.

Maybe those brownies Mrs. Carroll brings the team every Monday had something else in them

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2trm21aj said:
Milehighhawk":2trm21aj said:

Maybe those brownies Mrs. Carroll brings the team every Monday had something else in them

Lol. If that's the case, may want to check Lynch's skittles for traces of PCP. No wonder they are so effective.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":pq6f3oye said:
I could be wrong, but I believe Aldon's DUI was a repeat gig, and that this was a 1st pop on Marshawn, and as far as the talent/juiced up that you're prodding at?, I think IF you're being honest with yourself, you already know the answer to that :roll:

belizehawkfan

Reaction score
Suspend Pete? Fine Paul Allen? Come on man! The way the media talks about Pete Carroll and the Hawks you would think this was just a Seahawk problem. Newsflash!! This is league wide. Here's a list of offenders starting in 2011. Only one missing is BB's second as it is not official yet. There are some big names up there and some storied franchises as well.

August 2, 2011 4 games Phillip Buchanon CB Washington Redskins [108]
September 2, 2011 2 games Kevin Williams, Will Smith DT Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints [109]
September 9, 2011 1 game David Reed WR Baltimore Ravens [110]
December 4, 2011 4 games Fred Davis ,Trent Williams TE, LT Washington Redskins [111]
December 6, 2011 4 games John Moffitt OG Seattle Seahawks [112]
February 6, 2012 4 games Weslye Saunders TE Indianapolis Colts [113]
March 9, 2012 4 games (later changed to 3 games) Brett Hartmann P Houston Texans [114]
May 23, 2012 4 games Allen Barbre OT Seattle Seahawks [115]
June 13, 2012 2 games Mikel Leshoure RB Detroit Lions [116]
July 2, 2012 4 games Brody Eldridge TE St. Louis Rams [117]
July 20, 2012 1 game Nate Collins DT Chicago Bears [118]
August 20, 2012 1 game Tamba Hali LB Kansas City Chiefs [119]
August 31, 2012 Indefinitef Tanard Jackson FS Washington Redskins [120]
September 10, 2012 4 games Joe Haden CB Cleveland Browns [121]
September 18, 2012 3 games Clark Haggans LB San Francisco 49ers [122]
October 8, 2012 4 games Will Hill FS New York Giants [123]
October 13, 2012 4 games Aqib Talib CB Tampa Bay Buccaneers [124]
October 28, 2012 4 games Eric Wright CB Tampa Bay Buccaneers [125]
November 9, 2012 4 games Brandon Bolden RB New England Patriots [126]
November 20, 2012 4 games Winston Guy SS Seattle Seahawks [127]
November 26, 2012 4 games Jermaine Cunningham DE New England Patriots [128]
December 5, 2012 4 games Brandon Browner CB Seattle Seahawks [129]
December 4, 2012 4 games Cedric Griffin CB Washington Redskins [130]
December 11, 2012 4 games Asa Jackson CB Baltimore Ravens [131]
December 17, 2012 4 games Jordan Black OT Washington Redskins [132]
March 20, 2013 4 games Rob Jackson LB Washington Redskins [133]
April 3, 2013 4 games Daryl Washington LB Arizona Cardinals [134]
April 20, 2013 4 games Justin Blackmon WR Jacksonville Jaguars [135]
May 17, 2013 4 games Bruce Irvin DE Seattle Seahawks [136]
May 22, 2013 1 game Rokevious Watkins OG St. Louis Rams [137]
May 31, 2013 1 game Isaiah Pead RB St. Louis Rams [138]
June 4, 2013 4 games Gabe Miller TE Chicago Bears [139]
June 7, 2013 2 games Josh Gordon WR Cleveland Browns [140]
June 24, 2013 4 games Brandon Collins WR New York Giants [141]
June 24, 2013 4 games LaVon Brazill WR Indianapolis Colts [142]
July 18, 2013 8 games Weslye Saunders TE Indianapolis Colts [143]
July 20, 2013 4 games Will Hill FS New York Giants [144]
July 26, 2013 4 games Jarvis Jenkins DE Washington Redskins [145]
July 27, 2013 4 games Andre Holmes WR Oakland Raiders [146]
August 1, 2013 4 games DeMarcus Love OT Minnesota Vikings [147]
August 2, 2013 8 games Asa Jackson CB Baltimore Ravens [148]
August 14, 2013 4 games Jo-Lonn Dunbar LB St. Louis Rams [149]
August 20, 2013 6 games Von Miller LB Denver Broncos [150]
August 26, 2013 3 games Jerome Felton FB Minnesota Vikings [151]
August 26, 2013 4 games Mike Goodson RB New York Jets [152]
August 30, 2013 8 games DeQuin Evans DE Cincinnati Bengals [153]
September 10, 2013 4 games Tom Zbikowski SS Free agent [154]
September 10, 2013 2 games Brandon McDonald CB Free agent [154]
October 12, 2013 4 games Kellen Winslow II TE New York Jets [155]
November 1, 2013 Indefinite Justin Blackmon WR Jacksonville Jaguars [156]
November 12, 2013 4 games LaRoy Reynolds LB Jacksonville Jaguars [157]
November 24, 2013 4 games Walter Thurmond CB Seattle Seahawks [158]

zhawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3i9t7tzh said:
That would suck, but the real idiots among all players on this team are an embarrassment. Something's gotta give and this crap needs to stop. Perhaps these penalties are the kick in the ass Pete needs to either get control of his locker room or weed out the bad apples.

who's too fault you were to screw up?

just askin'

Scottemojo

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":15ewf98w said:

Don't be obtuse. Adderall is a PED, substance abuse is not. No player can be popped for "substance abuse" with Adderall.

So no, the Seahawks do not have the most suspensions for this type of infraction.

Also, Marshawn was "popped" in the off season, not caught driving drunk hours before practice.

If I was a NIner fan living in Seattle, I too would have extra hate. But at least get your shit straight.