NFL mulls discipline for safety Seahawks' Jamal Adams

kidhawk

Reaction score
Well, let's be real here. If it was a different player, we may see a lot different responses from the fans and/or the NFL.

How so? I don't think it should make a difference on who it is. If any player gets a concussion playing football, he shouldn't be fined by the NFL for a logical consequence caused from that concussion

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Come on, a ton of people love to hate on Adams, it's been this way for a while now. NFL maybe would have done the same with any other player, maybe. But the fans? Nope.
The NFL absolutely got it right. For once.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
No doubt. Still ridiculous they were even considering it.
They have to at least consider it. They have to assure their doctors that they are safe on the sidelines while dealing with adrenalized, fierce competitors who may be a little out of their mind at the time. Their sovereignty to make impartial decisions has to be protected and balanced with the fact that they are dealing with players in the middle of a brain injury. I think the story of "mulling" a fine is their message to players and sideline personnel that there is a line that can't be crossed even in their injured state. You can bet that if he had put hands on the Dr that he'd not only get a fine but also sit a game. A concussion can and should excuse a lot of things but it isn't and shouldn't be a complete get out of jail free card. Angrily yelling while being sent off has been judged to be an excused activity, as most everyone agrees it should be, and they let the players publicly know it.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
The league disciplining Adams would of been insult to injury.

Pun not intended

DJrmb

Reaction score
The NFL should investigate itself for who leaked the info in the first place (assuming it wasn't leaked purposely by them). The whole thing screams of someone with a grudge trying to take a shot at Adams' image and character.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The NFL should investigate itself for who leaked the info in the first place (assuming it wasn't leaked purposely by them). The whole thing screams of someone with a grudge trying to take a shot at Adams' image and character.
The thing is Jamal the person or football player should have no haters. My issue is we never needed him and he doesn't fit what we are trying do and that ridiculous contract and his injury history. It's kind of like don't draft Penix go for Rattler if possible.

JPatera76

Reaction score
The thing is Jamal the person or football player should have no haters. My issue is we never needed him and he doesn't fit what we are trying do and that ridiculous contract and his injury history. It's kind of like don't draft Penix go for Rattler if possible.
We get mizzou you hate.. pc, you hate js, you hate Jamal Adams. And you just gtf over it or are you going to keep beating the same drum a million different damn ways?
What a joy you have been lately.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The idea that a concussed player can’t control himself is ridiculous. Sure, maybe they are somewhat disinhibited, but they still understand that there are lines you don’t cross.

If a player is so concussed that he can’t control himself, he will be woozy, and uncoordinated, and presents no threat to anyone but himself.

My other favorite sport is MMA. Concussions happen at roughly the same rate in MMA and football. Yet, fighters understand that you don’t go after the ref, and if you do, there will be disciplinary action.

Perhaps the most critical part of being a professional fighter or football player is the ability to deeply tap into that primal fighting instinct, while at the same time keeping it under control. When the ref steps in, or the whistle blows, you have to be in control of yourself and stop.

That differentiates a professional from the inmates that were referred to earlier in the thread.

I think the NFL did the right thing in saying they were considering discipline, but not meting it out. It sends the right message that the doc, who truly is looking out for your health, is as protected as the ref on the field.

Adams could, if he were so inclined, seriously injure most any doctor. If the doctor is going to make a good, evaluation of what is in the player’s best interest, he has to know that he is safe in doing so.

Just like a player knows better than to get in the face of the officiating crew, he needs to understand that he can’t get in the face of the docs on the sideline.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I think they balanced it perfectly. Didn't punish Adams but by getting the news out that it was being considered they sent the message to the rest of the players that the possibility is there

RiverDog

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd give Adams a healthy fine and give a portion of it directly to the person(s) he verbally abused as an apology from the league/union but not issue a game suspension. Doing nothing would condone this type of behavior.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The idea that a concussed player can’t control himself is ridiculous. Sure, maybe they are somewhat disinhibited, but they still understand that there are lines you don’t cross.

If a player is so concussed that he can’t control himself, he will be woozy, and uncoordinated, and presents no threat to anyone but himself.
I'm not a doctor and maybe you can clarify this article for me, but my understanding is that the short-term symptoms of a concussion can include irritability:

You may have some symptoms of concussions immediately, and some can occur for days after the injury, such as:

• Concentration and memory complaints
  • Irritability and other personality changes
  • Sensitivity to light and noise
  • Sleep disturbances
  • Psychological adjustment problems and depression
  • Disorders of taste and smell

But even if it did affect his behavior, it's still not an excuse. Suppose he got into a physical altercation with the doctors and seriously injured one of them? Would we rationalize those actions as simply the result of his concussion and give him a pass? IMO the fact that he was concussed might cause one to go softer on the punishment, but you can't just ignore it as some are advocating.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's not like he took a swing at the man. He was emotionally charged, having spent a year trying to rehab from serious injury. He had all of what, 9 snaps before being taken out. The doctor made the right call, Adams was understandably upset. While I wish he didn't yell at him, I understand it, and I bet the doctor does too.

The league made the right call by not fining him.

jeremiah

Reaction score
No, he was not out of bounds when it started and you can actually see him letting go as they go out and falls on him. To the NFL rules, dirty play in the mind of fans isn't a flag and neither was the tackle.
Miscellaneous violence on 3. Why not just push someone down as opposed to laying a lick on them? Come on, this is football. Not powder puff. Ask that of Lawrence Taylor, or Dick Butkus. The players now, are literally saying, along with the NFL, don't hurt my pocketbook. They play for the $$$$$$$. That is all.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's not like he took a swing at the man. He was emotionally charged, having spent a year trying to rehab from serious injury. He had all of what, 9 snaps before being taken out. The doctor made the right call, Adams was understandably upset. While I wish he didn't yell at him, I understand it, and I bet the doctor does too.

The league made the right call by not fining him.
You're making excuses for him. Had others not intervened, there may have been a physical altercation:

A few minutes later, during a wild scene on the Seahawks' sideline, Adams emerged from the medical tent and became livid, yelling at one of the NFL's unaffiliated neurotrauma consultants while being held back by the team's head athletic trainer and two members of the Seahawks' security staff.

We'd have to hear exactly what it was that Adams was saying, if he was threatening them with physical violence or simply calling them a SOB, but from the description, ie a "wild scene" and three people having to physically restrain him, it sounds pretty bad, like it could have gotten physical.

I'm not blaming Adams for being upset and since as you said, it didn't turn physical, IMO it doesn't rise to the level of a suspension, but by the same token, you can't ignore it by rationalizing it as you have.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Here's a thought: when tackling, lead with your shoulder pads and not your head, Adams!

SNDavidson

Reaction score
This all would have been better if we had badass concussion docs that know mma and he went chest to chest with Adams lol

bigskydoc

Reaction score
This all would have been better if we had badass concussion docs that know mma and he went chest to chest with Adams lol
Even though I dabble in it, I wouldn’t go toe to toe with Adam’s. There’s a reason we have weight classes in MMA and Jiu Jitsu.