NFL mulls discipline for safety Seahawks' Jamal Adams

notyou

Reaction score
The tackle wasn't really that dirty. As soon as they went out of bounds, the defender let go of Geno. He just happen to roll up on Geno's legs.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
That wasn't a legal tackle that is classic horse collar tackle even if we think it was in a grey area.
It's not remotely a horse collar at all. You have to grab the collar of the jersey from the side or back. It's black and white, no gray. The effect is similar to the effect of a horsecollar but it isn't one and isn't legal. That kind of play (y'know, the kid that isn't by any standard a horsecollar, largely because there is no collar involved) has been discussed in the past to be outlawed but the NFLPA doesn't agree that it should be.

Nunya

Reaction score
That wasn't a legal tackle that is classic horse collar tackle even if we think it was in a grey area.
????? Are you sure we are talking about the same play? It wasn't even close to being a horse collar. Simmon's right hand was on the ball and his left was on Geno's left bicep.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pete said it was more the riding the guy out of bounds. I like Geno, but he got way bent out of shape over something that didn't look dirty at all.
Just my opinion. Then got a stupid 15-yard penalty that hurt the team.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Pete said it was more the riding the guy out of bounds. I like Geno, but he got way bent out of shape over something that didn't look dirty at all.
Just my opinion. Then got a stupid 15-yard penalty that hurt the team.

Even in Genos post game presser when asked he admitted as much. He let it get to
him more than it should’ve and he thought at first it was dirty then when he saw it for himself it wasn’t.

bileever

Reaction score
Being as how it was a 100% legal tackle, what would you flag or fine him for? And how does that compare to an injured player, out of the game, dealing with non-team medical personnel? That's an apples to airplanes comparison.
Yes, it wasn't a horse collar, and the hip drop tackle hasn't been banned yet, but wasn't Geno out of bounds when he dragged him down? What's the point in taking someone to the ground when you can push him, or have already pushed him out of bounds? To me, it's the combination of dragging someone down who is out of bounds combined with the way that he did it that makes it a dirty play.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Doc needs to be able to make an evaluation of whether the patient is safe to return to play, without the fear of repercussions.

I’m sure Adam’s emotions got the better of him, but you can’t treat the guy that’s just looking out for your health like that, and the league can’t just overlook it.

There is security personnel on the sidelines of every game. The doctor was obviously able to make his determination and although there were words, and Adams was acting Irate, from what the article says, there was no actual physical repercussions.

I'm sure there are doctors around the world that have had patients react to a diagnosis in a wide variety of ways, it's part of the job.

Head injuries can cause people to act/react in ways they may not otherwise. Whether or not he would have reacted like this without the head injury, we don't actually know. What we do know is he was definitely concussed and it was caused by playing for the NFL. To fine him for raging on the sideline at this point would be ridiculous of the NFL.

I will say that there could be more information out there that we are unaware of, and I'm willing to say that my mind could possibly change, but I doubt we'll ever get the full story, It's more than likely something that will go away quietly as it is a bad look for the league and the player.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Yes, it wasn't a horse collar, and the hip drop tackle hasn't been banned yet, but wasn't Geno out of bounds when he dragged him down? What's the point in taking someone to the ground when you can push him, or have already pushed him out of bounds? To me, it's the combination of dragging someone down who is out of bounds combined with the way that he did it that makes it a dirty play.
No, he was not out of bounds when it started and you can actually see him letting go as they go out and falls on him. To the NFL rules, dirty play in the mind of fans isn't a flag and neither was the tackle.

balakoth

Reaction score
Doc needs to be able to make an evaluation of whether the patient is safe to return to play, without the fear of repercussions.

I’m sure Adam’s emotions got the better of him, but you can’t treat the guy that’s just looking out for your health like that, and the league can’t just overlook it.
More like looking out for Lawsuits... Health.. lol... Follow the light, check the pupils etc.. answer some questions... Okie doke

Boohman14

Reaction score
I work in a Penitentiary and have seen a great amount of concussed people in my 34 years there. Irrational anger is a common result once they get over the initial shock of having their bell rung. I say his actions after being evaluated were normal effects of having a concussion. We take this into account when a guy was in a fight or had some form of head trauma and don't file disciplinary paperwork but we do document the account of his actions.

The NFL needs to step back and give him some grace following a brain injury. 30 years ago Adams would have been back on the field playing like it never happened. He probably felt normal enough to continue but we now know the risks. The NFL has to acknowledge that Adams is not being rational in that moment because HE HAS A BRAIN INJURY.

Chapow

Reaction score
Let's expect people that are playing an extremely intense and violent game to act in a reasonable and rational manner moments after they suffer a concussion (also known as a traumatic brain injury).

Just utterly absurd.

GemCity

Reaction score
Of course it was the right call to pull him out.

But as a fan, I can’t be mad at a guy who’s been injured for over a year, who was already creating high-energy pressure on the field, for yelling at a doc while concussed.

Foh NFL…

SNDavidson

Reaction score
If I were him I’d write a bs apology and pretend to feel bad and that he realizes now he was not himself. That might help. Would be sorta weak to punish him all things considered.

knownone

Reaction score
The NFL would be dumb to discipline Adams. Anger and confusion are two symptoms of a concussion. Adams didn't know the extent of his injury, so why punish him for reacting when he's not in a good headspace? It's silly and counterintuitive.