NFL mulls discipline for safety Seahawks' Jamal Adams

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I agree it's a bit unfair (and even a legal matter) to punish a player dealing with a concussion. The NFL might need to reconsider their process for the concussion evaluator to communicate their decision to the player. It should go to the team's doctors who then let's the player know. The team would be responsible for the player's action after that. Teams also need to do better in teaching their players that this choice is final so there's no reason to argue. These aren't the teams docs that can be talked out of it.

Mick063

Reaction score
I forgive his behavior after having his brain rattled. I have suffered from a football related concussion and trust me, you are not yourself. You can't really hold a person accountable for their behavior when impaired like that. If he isn't well enough to play football, then he isn't well enough to be held accountable for his behavior. There should be no further penalty and it is absurd to even float the idea.

As stated in an earlier post, the NFL needs a procedural change when interacting with concussed players. Preferably, an authority figure from the team should be doing the communication with a player in a mentally impaired state.

Having said that, Adams wasn't concussed when he made the pee wee level football decision to tackle with the crown of his helmet. That behavior is not excusable. It ALWAYS results in an unsafe condition. Regardless, it is a team/coaching issue, not a league issue.

Last edited:

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
If the NFL truly cared about player safety, then the league wouldn't exist. Since the safest thing to do would not play football.

But then there would be no money so....

Mad Dog

Reaction score
If the NFL truly cared about player safety, then the league wouldn't exist. Since the safest thing to do would not play football.

There’s risk to everything in life. The monetary gain to risk ratio of football is actually quite favorable compared to other jobs (police, firefighter, military, construction, logging, etc)

nanomoz

Reaction score
Until morale improves, the beatings will continue!

SNDavidson

Reaction score
If I were the “expert”, I’d be embarrassed if I couldn’t handle it

DJrmb

Reaction score
Penalizing a guy you just determined wasn't capable of making rational decisions on his own for being irrational... 🤦🏽‍♂️

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And there you have it. A grown man acting like an adult. Adams is, and always has been a stand-up guy.

evergreen

Reaction score
He had a nice apology on FB. He’s probably off the hook now.

cymatica

Reaction score

It really boils down to safety vs freedom and how much are you willing to sacrifice one for the other

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't care who it is, when you get a concussion, you can act way out of character. I can't fathom them punishing a guy for doing what a lot of people have done when they have a concussion. It's impacts your brain function.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Jamal apologized and most certainly showed he still wanted to play, his anger in being told no more today was understandable given his condition.

I look forward to seeing him play again. His play albeit only 9 snaps resulted in a QB pressure that was close to sack, and two key tackles stopping plays. Sadly the second one resulted in him being concussed.

I want to see more, b/c i suspect he will show us more.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Just keep your head out of the way of runner's knees Jamal!

kidhawk

Reaction score
Jamal reminds me a bit of Kam in the way he plays the game. He's fun to watch and very disruptive, but sadly that style of football has a huge cost to it physically.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
This. 1000 times this. You've just diagnosed a concussion, and the dudes acting like he's not in full control of himself. Duh.
Completely agree -
Doc needs to be able to make an evaluation of whether the patient is safe to return to play, without the fear of repercussions.

I’m sure Adam’s emotions got the better of him, but you can’t treat the guy that’s just looking out for your health like that, and the league can’t just overlook it.
Well and honestly - If you don't want the result you got - then don't put the doc 6 feet away from the guy he's telling can't play -

Call it remotely or don't make it a potential confrontation -

Stupid - Adams has a mouth at the best of times - but this is a little bit too much victim blaming, isn't it?

Latest posts