NFL considering a change to taunt rule

jhawk91

Reaction score
:34853_doh: ....... :229031_banghead:

This really is turning into the no fun league, stupid just stupid

Gap Filler

Reaction score
I don't think they should take away a TD but I'm all for harsher punishment than a 15 yard penalty. Fine them a game check.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I understand the desire by the NFL to stop taunting, but it shouldn't have an effect on the outcome of the play. The types of fouls that aren't giving a team an illegal advantage on a play shouldn't reverse the play. Taunting doesn't give a team an advantage, so why take away the play? Things like holding, pass interference and such do give an advantage, but taunting doesn't give an advantage in any way, shape or form. If anything, it has more possible ways to disadvantage a team as we saw Monday night when Tate nearly went out of bounds while he was taunting. Personally, I feel if they want to make for a harsher punishment, then fine them increasingly for each taunting foul they incur throughout their career. Eventually either a play stops taunting or goes broke

jhawk91

Reaction score
kidhawk":52qwia4a said:
I understand the desire by the NFL to stop taunting, but it shouldn't have an effect on the outcome of the play. The types of fouls that aren't giving a team an illegal advantage on a play shouldn't reverse the play. Taunting doesn't give a team an advantage, so why take away the play? Things like holding, pass interference and such do give an advantage, but taunting doesn't give an advantage in any way, shape or form. If anything, it has more possible ways to disadvantage a team as we saw Monday night when Tate nearly went out of bounds while he was taunting. Personally, I feel if they want to make for a harsher punishment, then fine them increasingly for each taunting foul they incur throughout their career. Eventually either a play stops taunting or goes broke

This X1000

I'd love to see maybe a lesser punishment in yards but then have a fine system. As you said, taunting doesn't really effect the other team or give any real advantage so I think it should be more of a punishment on the player if they really feel the need to do so. I think these taunting/excessive celebration penalties are stupid in the first place, it's entertainment so it should be fun

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kidhawk":1yyo3lkp said:
Good idea, that's the better route to go IMHO.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
I liked Pete's take on this too. Basically, he framed it as putting too much pressure on the officials if they're the ones taking points off the board. It really puts them in a rugged spot on borderline cases. They don't need any more pressure to make game-changing calls then they've already got.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Aristotle22":1w22ryve said:
It Could Take Away A Touchdown. Seems ridiculous To Me.

Stupid idea and I don't see many owners being excited to potentially lose a game because a 24yr old kid made a bad choice that had zero impact on the play itself.

And I'm one of the people who hated what Tate did.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
They need to change it to pansy ball. Where only the sissy's will want to watch. I thought this was a sport where grown men play, maybe I was wrong and it is still pee wee ball. Grow some balls people.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
To me since college football has a taunting rule, I don't really mind about it.

But in basketball there is a penalty
in Baseball hit a HR and stand by plate couple of secs you might get beamed or shouted by the pitcher.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Can we have the thread title changed as it's misleading? The NFL, as of right now, does not seem to be considered anything per the source we've been given. It's just Dean Blandino saying that HE thinks they will.

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
Why is it that Golden Tate seems to (at least unofficially) be the catalyst for massive NFL change. If this rule change does occur (I think it's a dumb idea, for the record), that will make it twice that a play Tate was involved in prompted the NFL (seemingly) to force a change.

The reception against the Packers that brought back the official refs last season, and now a taunt on what ended up being the deciding score of the game.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
SeeHawkRun":8exe20vw said:
Why is it that Golden Tate seems to (at least unofficially) be the catalyst for massive NFL change. If this rule change does occur (I think it's a dumb idea, for the record), that will make it twice that a play Tate was involved in prompted the NFL (seemingly) to force a change.

The reception against the Packers that brought back the official refs last season, and now a taunt on what ended up being the deciding score of the game.
Because they hate the Seahawks and us doing well gets under their skin.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
This is stupid.

I think the game needs more taunting. I miss PRIMETIME high stepping down the sideline as he waves goodbye to the offense, the Dirty Bird in ATL, and all the other coordinated celebrations.

Football is 100x more fun when the eccentric personalities are allowed to shine.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SeeHawkRun":1wes8aft said:

Don't forget the "slick ball" rule that was created because crazy uncle Jerry cried to his buddy Rog after Romo fumbled the snap on the FG against the a Hawks in the playoffs here.

Latest posts