NFL banned substance rules should vary by state.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":1zqrw5nv said:
Natethegreat":1zqrw5nv said:
Hawknballs":1zqrw5nv said:
As long as the laws vary by state the NFL is entitled to it's own policy. If it were nationally legalized (which it should be) then I would agree.

What's stupid is brandon browner is suspended for a year for presumably smoking weed, and for all we know not putting anyone in danger. yet guys who get loaded and drive drunk and put lives at risk get 1 game.

Not feeling sorry for Browner, he's an idiot for doing it. I just think it's sort of a reflection on society - so much shit is 'taboo' because people are simply ignorant.

Now if you'll excuse me i'm about to drop some Maui Waui into my vape pen.
Hmm I don't think weed should be legal so it makes me ignorant huh? I suppose I could call you ignorant too but I won't go there.

1954 called, they want their ideals back.
I really don't care what you think is outdated. Legalizing drugs does not accomplish what those pushing for it think it does(its been done before and the problems only compound themselves). It does however create a culture among youth that it is a ok now and undermines many parents who do not want their children caught up in drug use.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Wartooth":3thkk9r5 said:
Marijuana DUI Arrests UP 50 Percent Since Legalization...

The Washington State Patrol normally stops about 1,000 motorists annually for driving under the influence of marijuana.

According to new data released by the WSP this week, some 745 drivers tested positive for pot in just the last six months.

If that average continues, it would mean just under 1,500 drivers nabbed in 2013 — about a 50 percent increase over 2012.

No kidding because THC stays in your body for up to thirty days after you ingest it. I wonder how many of those arrests are for people that are sober, but get tagged for having abnormal amounts of THC anyway.

amill87

Reaction score
I haven't smoked in a long time now. It never really did anything for me anyways but I don't really care what people choose to do or choose to think its right if its legal or not.

But here's the problem that comes with a lot of people who do smoke. They get told to not do it and because they think that whoever is telling them not to is ignorant and it's not that big of deal, they decide to do it anyways. I personally know people who can smoke pot and have normal productive lives but I also know a lot of people who, no matter what, cannot put it down even though it would make their lives better. Thurmond and Browner fall into the second catergory.

Wartooth

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3taow1i1 said:
Wartooth":3taow1i1 said:

The Washington State Patrol normally stops about 1,000 motorists annually for driving under the influence of marijuana.

According to new data released by the WSP this week, some 745 drivers tested positive for pot in just the last six months.

If that average continues, it would mean just under 1,500 drivers nabbed in 2013 — about a 50 percent increase over 2012.

No kidding because THC stays in your body for up to thirty days after you ingest it. I wonder how many of those arrests are for people that are sober, but get tagged for having abnormal amounts of THC anyway.

Of the 745 drivers, 420 were above the state’s legal limit of 5 nanograms of active pot per milliliter of blood.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":17e2kc64 said:
Perhaps Washington could just legalize Roids and Adderall too? Championship!

:229031_victory:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":3ucxsd1v said:

.Net called, stay on topic.

Here are the facts, weed and PED's are banned in the NFL. Browner knew that, all three times. Thurmond knew that, both times. If your job says you can't do something, then you freakin' don't do it. Period. End of discussion.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Natethegreat":3gw7wpy4 said:
SmokinHawk":3gw7wpy4 said:
Natethegreat":3gw7wpy4 said:
Hawknballs":3gw7wpy4 said:
As long as the laws vary by state the NFL is entitled to it's own policy. If it were nationally legalized (which it should be) then I would agree.

What's stupid is brandon browner is suspended for a year for presumably smoking weed, and for all we know not putting anyone in danger. yet guys who get loaded and drive drunk and put lives at risk get 1 game.

Not feeling sorry for Browner, he's an idiot for doing it. I just think it's sort of a reflection on society - so much shit is 'taboo' because people are simply ignorant.

Now if you'll excuse me i'm about to drop some Maui Waui into my vape pen.
Hmm I don't think weed should be legal so it makes me ignorant huh? I suppose I could call you ignorant too but I won't go there.

I really don't care what you think is outdated. Legalizing drugs does not accomplish what those pushing for it think it does(its been done before and the problems only compound themselves). It does however create a culture among youth that it is a ok now and undermines many parents who do not want their children caught up in drug use.

Bad argument. Lots of things undermine what parents want their children to turn out to be like, but we don't make all of them illegal. Should we ban alcohol? Cigarettes? Hell, should we ban trans-fats or fast food altogether for the granola-eaters that think McDonald's gets their children caught up in a culture of obesity? Should we ban Glee for the homophobic parents that don't want their kids to join a youth culture that is thankfully more and more accepting of gay people?

Maybe parents should teach their damn kids about personal choice and personal responsibility instead of crying for a bunch of laws to do their parenting for them.

EDIT: To steer this back on topic, maybe Brandon Browner's parents should have ridden his dumb ass more about personal responsibility, or maybe it's not his parents and Browner is just a moron that they tried their best with. Who knows.

Schadie001

Reaction score
capncrunch":188c1pgi said:
In my opinion, the NFL shouldn't ban substances unless they are illegal in all of the states that have franchises. It is unfair to the Seahawks and I guess the Broncos to have their players tested and possibly suspended for marijuana use if they are not breaking the laws of Washington or Colorado by partaking. The NFL should either change their list of substances or make jurisdictional exceptions. I'd like to hear other people's opinions. I have more to write, but will stop now. I have an appointment with a dude at the VMAC to buy some dope. Brandon and Walter told me he is offering some new strains. 8)

The NFL is a business and just like any business in the State of Washington or Colorado who have drug policies in place as requirements for employment if you break that policy you can be terminated. In their contract I'm sure it states that they will not use banned substances regardless of where they live. If you want to smoke pot go crazy, but I'm all for an employer having to right to terminate you for doing it.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Can we consolidate the "suspension" related threads? Makes me want to stay away from .NET this week.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":26284w0d said:
SmokinHawk":26284w0d said:

.Net called, stay on topic.

Here are the facts, weed and PED's are banned in the NFL. Browner knew that, all three times. Thurmond knew that, both times. If your job says you can't do something, then you freakin' don't do it. Period. End of discussion.

but c'mon maaaaaaaaaaan. Its like, from nature! Why does the man have to get between people and a harmless relaxation agent!! I bet like, all the seahawks players and fans will have a smoke in on monday to protest this discrimination by the NFL. The fat cats in the league office won't be able to ignore it!
:sarcasm_off:

sc85sis

Reaction score
What happens when teams travel? What if someone from another team comes up positive for weed--should he get off by saying he recently visited WA and therefore it's OK?

Whatever policy there is must be consistently applied or else we end up with the same sort of mess that college teams deal with in the NCAA.

rsm650

Reaction score
Natethegreat":18r5pqhk said:
SmokinHawk":18r5pqhk said:

When has "legalizing drugs" been done before? I thought drugs were unregulated until the mid 20th century when politicians decided that they wanted to control what people did (never mind classifying weed as a schedule 1 drug and cocaine a schedule 2 drug :34853_doh:)

Making alcohol (a much less dangerous drug than cannabis) illegal has been done before. I wonder how that turned out...

Sorry for off topic post, my real post is in page 1.

BamKam

Reaction score
They signed an agreement with their employer that they would not smoke weed. I am a smoker myself but if the job that I made a decent living off of made tested I wouldn't even think about it, not worth it.

They broke the rules plain and simple, even if it was one time. It is especially puzzling with Browner and Thurmond since both will be looking for a decent pay day in the offseason, not to say they won't, but whatever they could have got is going to be crippled.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Wartooth":1a7jb2ts said:

or it just means that prior to being legalized, it simply wasn't standard practice to administer a marijuana test to every person pulled over. But I'm sure that now that its legal all the weed users have suddenly just decided to get high and drive in droves. .

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Axx":xetpitnv said:
bestfightstory":xetpitnv said:
What about airline pilots who live in Washington and Colorado?

What about law enforcement and probation officers?

who says it will be legal for them to go to work under the influence?

Just like alcohol which can be done recreationally but you can not do it on the job.

Way to respond to something I DIDNT say.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Organizational rules are one thing, State laws another.

Obey the rules or you are history!!

12thManNorth

Reaction score
If the rules varied by state, Seattle & Denver would be building absolute dynasties. There wouldn't be a better recruiting tool than the ability for the players to be allowed to get baked 24/7. MANY players love their weed, even considering the massive financial risks they take to smoke it mid-season

In the NBA, the Nuggets would have 12 future hall of famers on their roster

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Im shocked no one has brought up the most relevant reason why the NFL would never do this; weed is still illegal federally. I dont think the NFL would ever legalize it in WA and CO because in essence they would be starting a fight with the US gov. Also, theres the issue that players traded from the Sehawks and Broncos would be more likely to become mentally addicted to weed, and keep smoking wherever they are traded. Thats why I dont think any owners would really support a motion like that at all. And Roger certainly wouldnt. So its a big "NO" imo.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawknballs":218dzroz said:
Wartooth":218dzroz said:

or it just means that prior to being legalized, it simply wasn't standard practice to administer a marijuana test to every person pulled over. But I'm sure that now that its legal all the weed users have suddenly just decided to get high and drive in droves. .
Just a few months after being legalised my younger brother and a group of young kids were convinced smoking pot was a ok because " hey its legal now!" they then started driving while high too(apparently their decision making was impaired go figure). So I don't think you can say that legalization and higher amounts of arrest for dui is not related in any way.