Votes: 22 23.4%
  • College

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.4%

• Total voters

RiverDog

Reaction score
With Pete under contract, would we receive a draft pick if he goes to another team?
The short answer is yes.

Pete is still under contract, meaning that the team still has control, so he'd need to be released from his obligation to work for us, and obviously we're not going to give that up for nothing.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that we'd get a draft choice. It could be something as simple as not paying him is aprox. $15M salary.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
If Pete does coach again, I suspect it will be back in college, but then again, he may want to prove something in the NFL still, but I suspect he's not hung up on such.

RiverDog

Reaction score
IDK, I think Pete, despite what he has said, is tired. I bet he finds he wants a change of pace, finds himself staying and assisting the team, maybe in the studio with one of the shows. I think he still has the energy to do great things, somewhere in the biz, but I'm betting he finds he likes being free of HC responsibilities and really never goes back to full time head coaching.
That's a definite possibility. After I retired, my attitude towards even the simplest things changed. It used to be that I had an urgency to get things done on my days off. But now, if I get the slightest bit tired or bored, I just say F-it, I'll do it tomorrow. My former boss has asked me on multiple occasions to un-retire, and I told him that if he thought I was lazy when I worked for him before, I'd be ten times that if I returned to work.

At his age, if Pete stays out of the fray for one season, it's my bet that he never goes back not only to coaching, but any full-time position such as an analyst or color commentator on TV.

renofox

Reaction score
With Pete under contract, would we receive a draft pick if he goes to another team?
The Seahawks could demand picks to release him from his contract but I doubt they'd do that.

They'd be happy just to save $15M and get him out of the organization.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
The Seahawks could demand picks to release him from his contract but I doubt they'd do that.

They'd be happy just to save $15M and get him out of the organization.
That may be the catch in Pete's next destination, that team may want Pete, but not at $15mil. Then it's for Pete to decide if he wants to coach but makes less money, or, make more money as an advisor with no influence at all.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
The UW needs to offer him all of Washington’s tax payer dollars to take over. He would be an instant hit with almost endless fundraising abilities.

renofox

Reaction score
That may be the catch in Pete's next destination, that team may want Pete, but not at $15mil. Then it's for Pete to decide if he wants to coach but makes less money, or, make more money as an advisor with no influence at all.
Good Point.

Lennie

Reaction score
It’s obvious. He’s the only guy that could follow Saban at Alabama!

Whoops didn’t see Deboer took the job.

Last edited:

flv2

Reaction score
The league is looking for young, dynamic HCs. They want offensive guys. They want Xs and Os guys. They want guys who are currently succeeding. Carroll can coach, but teams aren't looking for an old, defensive, rah-rah, coach who hasn't put a good defense on the field in 5 years. There are a lot of potential candidates and not many jobs. I don't see him getting another NFL job in 2024.

I don't see the Seahawks owner paying him a lot of money to coach somewhere else. If he wants out he'll have to give up that contract, and I don't see him doing that. He can advise the ground staff, equipment manager, and hotdog sellers...and the media work will become a plus.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The league is looking for young, dynamic HCs. They want offensive guys. They want Xs and Os guys. They want guys who are currently succeeding. Carroll can coach, but teams aren't looking for an old, defensive, rah-rah, coach who hasn't put a good defense on the field in 5 years. There are a lot of potential candidates and not many jobs. I don't see him getting another NFL job in 2024.

I don't see the Seahawks owner paying him a lot of money to coach somewhere else. If he wants out he'll have to give up that contract, and I don't see him doing that. He can advise the ground staff, equipment manager, and hotdog sellers...and the media work will become a plus.
Carroll's teams haven't fielded a good defense since 2016. That's the last time that the Hawks had a top 10 defense. That's 8 years of mediocre to league worse defenses.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score

All true! But Pete is also a very wealthy guy by now and his window of opportunity to do something that he loves, ie coaching, is very limited. He might just take less for his last gig?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Carroll's teams haven't fielded a good defense since 2016. That's the last time that the Hawks had a top 10 defense. That's 8 years of mediocre to league worse defenses.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Carroll is terrible at drafting players.

I think Schneider is and always has been the key to the draft when Seattle drafted well.

I always said Carroll had a leg up advantage drafting in 2010 and early cause he knew players when he was at USC and when that time started dry up cause he no longer had college experience with those players, his selection began to fizzle.

Many on .NET are correct, Carroll, is mainly a culture, players coach guy, but he’s not a brilliant Xs and Os guy. And because of this he depends largely on relationships and he needs elite players in order to make his very simple system work. But elite players aren’t easy to come by and playing his style of defense has become somewhat extinct in the NFL so with each passing year Carroll resulted to trading for players and then paying them, elite money, to make up for his inability to draft well. But these players aren’t elite players and since they got paid, have gotten injured, etc, no longer play with that hunger, so the product on field, especially defense, shows it’s true colors, as a skeleton of what used to be and what used to work.

Carroll couldn’t overcome this.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
When Pete took over the Seahawks he was 58. At 72 he has way more energy than most 58 year olds. Hes got more energy than a lot of 38 year olds. At this point in time, I'd be surprised if Pete doesn't get another NFL head coaching job. Hes a proven culture builder and consistent winner. After watching his presser, I came away with the distinct feeling that he still wants to coach.
Take off your hate filled glasses for the guy and glimpse reality. Do you want an unknown young guy, because thats all the rage, with no head coaching experience, or do you want a proven commodity who clearly still has the energy and drive to be an NFL head coach?

Yeah he has energy but that doesn’t equate to retaining his mental faculties and sharpness. The last few years has proven he has been slipping in that department.

Yes I want a younger coach that brings innovation and change. I surely don’t want the proven commodity that’s Pete Carroll. Apparently ownership doesn’t either.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
That's a definite possibility. After I retired, my attitude towards even the simplest things changed. It used to be that I had an urgency to get things done on my days off. But now, if I get the slightest bit tired or bored, I just say F-it, I'll do it tomorrow. My former boss has asked me on multiple occasions to un-retire, and I told him that if he thought I was lazy when I worked for him before, I'd be ten times that if I returned to work.

At his age, if Pete stays out of the fray for one season, it's my bet that he never goes back not only to coaching, but any full-time position such as an analyst or color commentator on TV.
Agree with your statement about retirement. I am retired my wife is still working on her days off she feels she needs to get everything done. If I have 2-3 things that need to get done during the week I will space them out while my wife would want to do them all in 1 day. Hopefully she learns when she retires

Latest posts