NCAA QBs

ivotuk

Reaction score
Disappointed in Drake Maye this year. I don't think he's an NFL QB anymore.
Now, Jayden Daniels, there's a QB! Dual threat! 83% completion rate, more TDs than incompletions, 6 vs 5.
And he has a history of playing this well! 11.3 yards per attempt this year...

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I watched Drake Maye today and actually came away as more of a solid fan of his despite his paltry individual numbers. He was genuinely sold out today. His OL was killing drive after drive with egregious penalties, and he showed a fundamental ability to operate under duress. Had an amazing off-platform touchdown throw, and had another deep ball that was an absolute *dot* dropped.

But he makes his reads, has the arm for any throw, scrambles in a very crafty way when he has an opening, and can get the ball out under pressure. Can throw from different angles to evade batted balls and get into different lanes.

Jayden Daniels is quickly playing his way out of our range. Just a stud. Genuine field-tilter who has some question marks in terms of his durability and ability to protect himself given his brash running style and 180 lb. frame, but he's a really enticing ball of clay with the playmaking ability that cannot be taught.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Jordan Travis, gruesome injury aside (which I expect will heal, as breaks tend to do these days), strikes me as a guy who could be a perennially good QB2. In the mold of a DTR or PJ Walker. I'd take a shot on that in the fifth or so, if he's still seen as draftable when the medicals become clear.

renofox

Reaction score
I watched Drake Maye today and actually came away as more of a solid fan of his despite his paltry individual numbers. He was genuinely sold out today. His OL was killing drive after drive with egregious penalties, and he showed a fundamental ability to operate under duress. Had an amazing off-platform touchdown throw, and had another deep ball that was an absolute *dot* dropped.

But he makes his reads, has the arm for any throw, scrambles in a very crafty way when he has an opening, and can get the ball out under pressure. Can throw from different angles to evade batted balls and get into different lanes.

Jayden Daniels is quickly playing his way out of our range. Just a stud. Genuine field-tilter who has some question marks in terms of his durability and ability to protect himself given his brash running style and 180 lb. frame, but he's a really enticing ball of clay with the playmaking ability that cannot be taught.
Daniels is 6'4" 210lbs
Has the frame to add muscle with a good program, but you'd be trading a little speed for durability.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Daniels is 6'4" 210lbs
Has the frame to add muscle with a good program, but you'd be trading a little speed for durability.
He's listed at 210? Whew. I dunno. I don't know if he's put on 25 pounds between his last season at ASU and now. Does have the frame to add though, regardless.

renofox

Reaction score
He's listed at 210? Whew. I dunno. I don't know if he's put on 25 pounds between his last season at ASU and now. Does have the frame to add though, regardless.
Apparently he worked hard last off-season on adding muscle. What I heard anyway. If he can add that much in 1 off-season college program, I'm pretty confident he could add another 10-15 in a pro program. He'll still be a little thin, but if he's coached to get down or out I think he'll be fine.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Sadly, I have to agree, Seattle would have to trade up to get him. Someone better tell JD that he doesn't have to be SO good. 😅

I know he's got that reputation of being another one of those "RB's playing QB" but his progression as a passer this season has convinced me he can adapt. JD is truly a special QB, and I'd be over the moon if somehow, Seattle was able to get him.

How many of us here wish we could have a QB that was so good, they can put the team on their back & overcome inept playcalling? JD's that QB. No disrespect to Geno, but he's better on-script.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Sadly, I have to agree, Seattle would have to trade up to get him. Someone better tell JD that he doesn't have to be SO good. 😅

I know he's got that reputation of being another one of those "RB's playing QB" but his progression as a passer this season has convinced me he can adapt. JD is truly a special QB, and I'd be over the moon if somehow, Seattle was able to get him.

How many of us here wish we could have a QB that was so good, they can put the team on their back & overcome inept playcalling? JD's that QB. No disrespect to Geno, but he's better on-script.
I watched a ton of Daniels at ASU, no one ever said he was a RB playing QB. He has always had the talent, he just took 5 years to put it together

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I defer to your judgement Maelstrom. I only caught bits and pieces of the UNC game and made an assumption based on those brief views. Then looked at the final stats and came to a conclusion. Shame on me.

Appreciate your response. I actually think a young QB can be judged well from some of their poorer games statistically.
I think this is actually the year when John and Pete should trade the farm to get an early 1st round QB.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I defer to your judgement Maelstrom. I only caught bits and pieces of the UNC game and made an assumption based on those brief views. Then looked at the final stats and came to a conclusion. Shame on me.

Appreciate your response. I actually think a young QB can be judged well from some of their poorer games statistically.
I think this is actually the year when John and Pete should trade the farm to get an early 1st round QB.
If they trade the farm, you have to get Caleb. He is head and shoulders better than everyone else, BUT I can also see him being hated by his teammates like Russ was. Comes across as fake a lot. The fake crying was a bad look, and no one wants their leader crying in the stands after a L.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't trade the farm for Maye. I think he's functionally good with room to grow. If we were picking 2nd naturally, I'd hit it, but I don't think I'd give it all up for him. I'm a fan, but the type of fan that thinks he'll top out at like, 6-7th best in the league. And that's if he hits.

Caleb, while I have doubts about him, is a different animal. You have to manage the personality and be really sure, but he's out of his mind talented.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Drake Maye is Herbert. Super talented thrower.

Is that worth trading the farm for? I think most would.

12forlife

Reaction score
Not to be negative, but with this team's struggles I have a feeling we are finishing 8 - 9. That would put us drafting in the top 15, I feel if they love Williams or Drake I believe we would be within striking range 2 1sr rd for sure. Or moving up a bit for Daniels or McCarthy wouldn't hurt as bad? Or sit pat and take Nix or Penix? I'm not the coach or GM, but I hope one of the guys is a Hawk come next April! Go Hawks!

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Many good to excellent QBs in this next draft. None better or with a higher ceiling than Drake Maye.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Not to be negative, but with this team's struggles I have a feeling we are finishing 8 - 9. That would put us drafting in the top 15, I feel if they love Williams or Drake I believe we would be within striking range 2 1sr rd for sure. Or moving up a bit for Daniels or McCarthy wouldn't hurt as bad? Or sit pat and take Nix or Penix? I'm not the coach or GM, but I hope one of the guys is a Hawk come next April! Go Hawks!
I just don't think any of the teams who will finish in the top 3 draft picks will want to trade down so someone else can get a QB. Potentially AZ if they do like Kyler, but everyone else would probably sit tight to grab a QB.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Penix is one of the top 3 qb's taken. I think Nix could also be a good pick for us, and would likely be there mid round, although I doubt Pete is going to draft a qb anyway.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
HONORS & AWARDS

PFF Third-Team All-American (2022)

ACC Player of the Year (2022)

Shaun Alexander Freshman of the Year (2022)

FWAA Freshman All-American (2022)

Manning Award Finalist (2022)

Walter Camp National Player of the Year Semifinalist (2022)

Maxwell Award Semifinalist (2022)

Davey O'Brien Award Semifinalist (2022)

In 2022 he became just the sixth QB since 2010 to post 4,000 pass yards, 35 pass TDs, 650 rush yards and seven rush TDs in a season joining Kyler Murray (2018), DeShaun Watson (2015, ’16), Marcus Mariota (2014), Johnny Manziel (2013) and Robert Griffin III (2011)

CPHawk

Reaction score
McCarthy is for sure getting a GM fired.