NBA investigates Clippers owner Donald Sterling for racism

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":3nwqtot8 said:
No words for him.

Kick him out, sell the team to Hansen, move em to Seattle.
Ha Ha..Just like you for the "Solution"..There is nowhere to move them here,yet anyway.I can't see the NBA allowing that move to happen..Maybe if it was were they used to be..(Buffalo Braves)..Anyway it's clear the owner is a racist clown and there is no place in any sport for him...

chris98251

Reaction score
Throwdown":ceakxrxk said:
I said that as tongue in cheek.

Yeah but think about it, Lakers share their market, they won't have to, creates a situation where a leveraged buy is available and also remedies the black eye of the Sonics. Clippers fans may not be all that happy but then again most have not been since the Braves moved to San Diego other then the last few years where Sterling finally got to L.A. and spent money after being a miser.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":2806bl5f said:
Throwdown":2806bl5f said:
I said that as tongue in cheek.

Yeah but think about it, Lakers share their market, they won't have to, creates a situation where a leveraged buy is available and also remedies the black eye of the Sonics............
Yep, it's an excellent solution. That of course means the NBA wouldn't even consider it.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
See, if Hansen were smart, he would have been less honest in the first place. Too late to pull off an "OF COURSE I WANT TO KEEP THEM IN [SACRAMENTO/MILWAUKEE/LOS ANGELES]" to get the team, followed by a "I NEED A BILLION-DOLLAR ARENA IN [REDDING/GREEN BAY/MALIBU]" demand that would never get filled so that he could move the team like he wants.

Meeker

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":5xuz7b70 said:
Sad thing is, Sterling will make a huge profit when/if he is forced to sell the team.
He will profit from this, which is sad and wrong.

He won't profit from this, he will profit from his original investment...thats not the same thing.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
I am not sure on what grounds you all think he can be legally punished. From the quotes, as far as I can tell, it isn't hate speech. Racist? Most definitely. Hate speech? I don' t believe so. As long as none of his actions violate the protected classes under EO he can't really be touched other than suffering the backlash of public outrage and the disdain of his own players which he seems to have earned.

chris98251

Reaction score
Didn't Marge Schott owner of the Reds have a simulaer situation, Baseball eventually forced her to sell if I remember correctly.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3qsd0alf said:
Didn't Marge Schott owner of the Reds have a simulaer situation, Baseball eventually forced her to sell if I remember correctly.

I believe in that case they technically didn't force her to sell but did ban her from directly managing the team. Perhaps the NBA could explore a similar avenue.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I wish more of this would end up on Stern. He allowed Sterling to be the worst owner in sports for decades, reaping TV money hand over fist while putting crap on the floor for fans to watch.

It is unfair for Silver that he has to clean up a mess Stern helped make.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Don't forget it was Stern who blocked the Chris Paul to the Lakers trade and had him traded to the Clippers instead to give Sterling a more competitive and marketable team.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I was just going to say something like Scottemojo said except less elegantly.

MLB: Gets rid of Marge Schott as soon as possible.

NFL: Doesn't let Rush Limbaugh buy a piece of the Rams.

NBA: Lets Donald Sterling stick around for decades.

Just more proof that David Stern is up there as one of the worst commissioners in the history of major league sports, and he should thank Magic, Bird, and Michael every day for keeping him from running the league into the ground.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2jnktoc3 said:

NFL: Doesn't let Rush Limbaugh by a piece of the Rams.

Just more proof that David Stern is up there as one of the worst commissioners in the history of major league sports, and he should thank Magic, Bird, and Michael every day for keeping him from running the league into the ground.

Not just "stick around" but allow him to completely mismanage a franchise for decades, then force feed him competitive players to give the market a boost.

Its this (x100 other things) as to why I cant get into the NBA. I want to, Sonics or no Sonics. But I just cant.

Saving grace for the Clippers is this may just force Sterling to give up the team. they are hemorraghing money because of this. Free agents are never coming there with him as the owner and i'm sure a handful of contracted players will look to force their way out.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
The NBA has some awful owners. I mean, like awful people as owners.

Dan 'Subprime' Gilbert
Mikhail Prokhorov... No one becomes a Russian Billionaire without a few dozen skeletons in your closet.
Bennet's group made a crap load off of fracking.
And I think it's the Magic owner who has bankrolled millions to continue marriage inequality.

NBA is full of dickholes.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2i5w6b97 said:
I wish more of this would end up on Stern. He allowed Sterling to be the worst owner in sports for decades, reaping TV money hand over fist while putting crap on the floor for fans to watch.

It is unfair for Silver that he has to clean up a mess Stern helped make.
Great post.

Smelly McUgly":2i5w6b97 said:

NFL: Doesn't let Rush Limbaugh buy a piece of the Rams.

And two more. Stern is THE worst. He ranks up there as among the worst ever people involved in American sports.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
m0ng0":3kb0vfbc said:
Throwdown":3kb0vfbc said:
I mean there is the NBA's nuclear option where they pretty much write a check for Sterling whether he accepts or not, and cease control of the team. They've never done this before. They have bought the Hornets back from George Shinn a few years back, but wasn't a hostile take over. I think the NBA could exercise this option in this instance.

You think Silver has the guts to do it?
No.

While this is a disgusting situation by a despicable human being, I love how it's a big wart on the NBA's backside! Watching Silver squirm at his upcoming press conference will be entertaining as hell.

Throwdown

Reaction score
m0ng0":2koa1i2g said:
Grandmama had this to say, curiously as a currently employed exec for the New York Knicks......

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/04/28/ ... ck-league/

Nothing like segregation, I guess. :roll:

Stupid comes in all shapes and forms, and that was stupid of Johnson to say that in the wake of even worse comments by a documented racist.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Silver is a tool. If Stern did nothing about Sterling, you can be sure that Silver will handle him with kid gloves.