NBA investigates Clippers owner Donald Sterling for racism

Largent80

Reaction score
Throwdown":101ap6o9 said:
this was caught at last nights game vs the Thunder...

check out homeboy in the glasses though...

Dude would be perfect for a flat bill since they make your head look bigger, don't ya think?

HansGruber

Reaction score
SonicHawk":ttd5cv43 said:
Because a black man viewing another black man sucking up to white men to get ahead is exactly what 'Uncle Tom' is. It's not racism.

What is that, if not racism?

You are judging a complex real-life situation entirely and exclusively by RACE. A black man is sucking up to a white man. You didn't say a gay man sucking up to a straight man, or a poor man sucking up to a wealthy man, or a Christian sucking up to a Muslim. You are framing the situation as a racial one, and placing a moral judgement on the black person based entirely on their skin color / race.

Would you call a white man an "Uncle Tom" for kissing up to another white man? No, you wouldn't. So how is that NOT a racial slur?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Throwdown":1sxtasrr said:

Hopefully that weasel Silver is pleading to avoid "Balmer SMASH!"

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2rewfvm1 said:
Throwdown":2rewfvm1 said:

Hopefully that weasel Silver is pleading to avoid "Balmer SMASH!"

I honestly think they were sharing gardening tips.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Means either, allowing Sterling to own the team, but the team is no longer in association with the NBA, or is contraction.

OP
OP
D

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
This illustrates how franchise rules work very differently in the NBA than they typically do in the business world. Normally when a franchise owner is disenfranchised, the owner keeps the underlying business. For example, if an owner of a Chevron gas station violated his franchise agreement with Chevron, he might lose his affiliation with Chevron, but he would not lose his gas station. The CEO of Chevron would not also take over this gas station. Unfortunately for the Sterlings, they own in the NBA, not Chevron. If Donald Sterling is disenfranchised, he and his wife lose the Clippers and Silver would take over the team.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/ne ... z31uyriqDt

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Throwdown":1xu2or9f said:
Means either, allowing Sterling to own the team, but the team is no longer in association with the NBA, or is contraction.
The whole league should contract. ;)

Silver is setting himself and his crap league up for a huge lawsuit if this happens, I hope he tries it, and I hope the NBA and Sterling knock the crap out of each other in court and there is nothing but rubble of both. Puppetmaster Stern and his puppet Silver need to be knocked on their ass in the courts. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part but it would be a thing of beauty! 8)

Throwdown

Reaction score
You sure dream big don't you, hernia? ;)

What exactly illegal was done by the NBA yet?

They've only set sanctions thus far, a forced sale hasn't happened yet, its being recommended. Not to mention the NBA is a private entity, just like .net when you sign up you give a up a few rights to continue being a member of the community. NBA is the same way, NBA can forcefully take over a franchise if it wants and sees fit, we haven't seen it happen but I'm pretty sure in this situation its a big possibility.

Worse thing that Sterling can bring out is things that other owners might've and probably have said that were along the horrible things he has said.

Its an ugly situation, and i really hope Hansen has distanced himself from it, don't get involved and keep his head down and keep doing what he needs to do. I don't know what Ballmer is doing though, him being at Clipper games looks fishy.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Throwdown":7909li62 said:
You sure dream big don't you, hernia? ;)

What exactly illegal was done by the NBA yet?

They've only set sanctions thus far, a forced sale hasn't happened yet, its being recommended. Not to mention the NBA is a private entity, just like .net when you sign up you give a up a few rights to continue being a member of the community. NBA is the same way, NBA can forcefully take over a franchise if it wants and sees fit, we haven't seen it happen but I'm pretty sure in this situation its a big possibility.

Worse thing that Sterling can bring out is things that other owners might've and probably have said that were along the horrible things he has said.

Its an ugly situation, and i really hope Hansen has distanced himself from it, don't get involved and keep his head down and keep doing what he needs to do. I don't know what Ballmer is doing though, him being at Clipper games looks fishy.
Keyword in my whole post is "if". Silver is wearing the big boy pants now, and I think those "ifs" I was posting about turn into reality. Heard many different places saying the NBA might be effed if Sterling sues the league if they try to take his team.

If Silver is smart, which I don't think he is, he'd find away to drag it out until Sterling kicks the bucket, and not let the potential case be heard in the court of law.