The Macdonald Defensive System

IndyHawk

Reaction score

The NFL trend is offensive head coaches. JS said as much in his presser last week. The thinking is that it provides more continuity for the most important position, QB.

Some coaches can get stuck in their ways as they get older. Clinging to the ideas that made them successful instead of evolving, but not all. The NFL is different today and younger coaches seem better prepared to embrace that.

JS was trying to hire Ben Johnson but when Ben said he was staying in Detroit the next best option was Macdonald. I think JS made a very good hire and we should all be excited for the future of Seahawk football. In a few short years our defense will once again be feared and that means our offense doesn't have to be phenomenal just good and we will see another Lombardi in SoDo
That was what PC was trying to do with Me3 and why more money went
into the D for a long time.
As for Johnson being the first choice I'm not buying that one,he was the
commies first choice though and why they didn't get MM.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
As for Johnson being the first choice I'm not buying that one, he was the
commies first choice though and why they didn't get MM.
JS said in the presser that he was rooting for both Detroit and Baltimore to lose their conference championship games.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I didn’t say he did. Let me break down on what I think happened.

Johnson wanted hawks. Johnson wanted to use them as leverage with us. When hawks told him no he “chose to stay with Detroit” before even interviewing with Washington again.
I don't believe they told Johnson "NO". I believe they told Johnson they were waiting to interview Macdonald before they made a final decision. It appeared likely they would be waiting until after the SB, but it didn't turn out that way. After meeting with Macdonald they knew immediately he was the right guy. Johnson knew when told we would wait that he was not #1 on our board.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Regarding Macdonald's D in the AFCCG, not only did they shut the Chiefs down after those first 2 drives, it took Mahomes doing Mahomes things and some unbelievable plays by Kelce to get those 2 TDs. Lots of great offences out there but you aren't going to see that every week. The play that comes to mind is Mahomes scrambling on third down and then throwing it to the middle where Kielce made that catch.

Last edited:

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I don't believe they told Johnson "NO". I believe they told Johnson they were waiting to interview Macdonald before they made a final decision. It appeared likely they would be waiting until after the SB, but it didn't turn out that way. After meeting with Macdonald they knew immediately he was the right guy. Johnson knew when told we would wait that he was not #1 on our board.
This seems reasonable.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I felt it would be a FAIL to hire Ben Johnson and try to win an arms race on the offensive side. I so totally agree with this approach, to get the only guy whose defense stuffed the 49ers, Rams, Dolphins, Bengals, Lions, Chiefs, and Seahawks in the same season. Yes, the Ravens D stuffed KC in the AFCCG, despite the L on the scoreboard, including holding KC scoreless in the second half. But somehow KC's defense stuffed the Ravens offense even harder. Really, it came down to two dick choke brainless plays by a dick player on the Ravens offense, especially the fumble before crossing the goal line.

Macdonald's defense and in-game adjustments ability will at least give the Seahawks a chance for the offense to win the games against SF and LA.

I wanted an offensive guy but after it’d all settled I think you may be right. I wanted an arms race and I’m starting to think Seattle handled it better than I would have and Macdonald is a perfect fit.

hoxrox

Reaction score
It's not a simple defense to master. There will be a learning curve.

bigcc

Reaction score
Doubt it.

He did the same thing the year before, panthers were going to fly him in to interview for HC and he pulled his name out before even meeting with them.

“I think some people -- I can just speak on a personal level -- some people, they really want to climb as fast as they can,” Johnson said. “I know particularly young coaches want to do that. That’s not been the case for me, per se. I want to be around football. I want to win football games. I want to be around good people. And when I finally had a chance to step back and take a deep breath and look at it, that was the most important thing.

“I love Dan Campbell, I’ve known him for a long time. I believe in the direction of this organization. And so that truly was the biggest drawing point for me to come back, was what we have here, what we’re building here, is something I want to be a part of. I’ve been a part of a number of losing seasons in my 11 years in the NFL.”

Sounds better if we're the ones who turned him down, but ben Johnson withdrew his name before the seahawks had even met with Macdonald for the first time. Makes more sense that he just repeated what he did the year before.