My Super Bowl XLVIII Experience

sam1313

Reaction score
Well, this was one hell of an experience, and one sure to be remembered for the rest of my life: THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME IN THEIR 38 YEAR HISTORY!!!!!!!!! That is a long time to wait on your favorite team to win the big one, but I have to say that I am kind of happy they did. Never have we had a team like this before. The 2012 and 2013 Seahawks are my ideal team – they punish people for walking on to the field with them. They revel in smash-mouth football. And they do so with the most positive and supporting coach, and with some of the most innovative techniques and practices (YOGA is mandatory!) ever applied in the game of football. This is truly a team to be proud of – and my brother Jeff and I just got to see them win their first Super Bowl! Unreal.

I left Las Vegas, the day before the Super Bowl. Strangely, I had packed all of my Seahawk gear, so I felt pretty bad seeing all of the Bronco fans in the airports along my way. My flight to Phoenix was easy as it was only about ¼ full and I had my own row. The flight to Newark was not nearly as much fun as I got stuck in the middle seat between a big Bronco fan, and a small, skinny guy with no gear on at all. Turns out, that the little guy is the best friend of Seahawk receiver Doug Baldwin, and he went to school with Doug and Richard Sherman at Stanford. He also said he was going to see Doug that night to pick up his tickets to the game, and he was very nervous that he would accidentally show Doug just how nervous he was about the game. I told him just to tell Doug, “all of the 12s know that you got this,” and he said that is exactly what he would say. I have no idea if that was conveyed or not, but I know that Doug played well and got himself a fabulous 40 yard reception and a subsequent touchdown in the game.

As for me, after being so, so nervous about the prior two play-off games (the San Francisco game nearly gave me a heart attack and I think I scared the crap out of my Mom – note to self – some games are better not watched with your mother!), I was strangely confident about this one. I’m sure I told many of you as I had told many others in the two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl – the Broncos have not seen a defense like the Seahawks all year, and I knew that the Broncos would be in for a big surprise. I couldn’t have predicted just how dominant the Seahawks defense would be, but the 40-10 whooping we put on them in the pre-season, and the fact that they had put up less than 30 points against the Chargers and the Patriots in the playoffs both gave me a lot of confidence. And, the Bronco fans I was meeting kept saying that they just hoped for a good game, when a good game was the last thing I was hoping for. What I was hoping for is exactly what happened – that the Seahawks would end up feasting on the Bronco’s soul by the end of the first half! Of course, I didn’t really think it would play out that way, I was confident that we would find a way to win but I was hoping for a slaughter.

In fact, many of the other Seahawk fans I encountered were similarly confident. I saw many fans on the day of the game, both inside and outside of the stadium, and we often just made eye contact and nodded – it was like we knew that this was THE DAY. Don’t get me wrong, there was also a lot of high fives, fist bumps, and even elbow bumps (when hands were full), and hundreds of “Go Hawks!” exchanged with fellow 12s in New Jersey, but it was the silent nods indicating, “We Got This,” that will were the most meaningful and memorable for me.

That said, when the game started, I was a ball of energy and the seats were so close together that I really worried about hurting someone. Thus, for most of the game I stood either with my arms folded or with my hands cupped around my mouth as a makeshift megaphone as I (and thousands of other 12s) tried to prevent Manning from communicating with the other Broncos. I think that many of the Broncos fans were really surprised by the noise we made when the Broncos had the ball. I could feel the few Bronco fans near me(and even a couple of the Seahawk fans in front of me) look at me with anger/disgust/amazement as I made the loudest, and most prolonged, “HHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I could muster from the moment Manning tried to call a play until the ball was snapped, on every single Bronco play of the game. Hehehehe, they had no idea what they were in for!

The Broncos tried to return the initial kick-off and were stuffed at the 14 yard line. Jeff and I were sitting 30 rows up on the 20 yard line – time to get loud! Boy did that work out better than we could have possibly expected! The surprised look on Manning’s face as the ball sailed past was awesome! Safety, and quickest score in Super Bowl History! Woohooo! Jeff and I have been taking credit for the safety ever since!

The Seahawks ensuing possession damn near resulted in a touchdown, and just fell short because Percy Harvin stepped out of bounds on his way to the end-zone on an end around play. Seahawks settled for 3 points. 5-0 lead.

The Broncos decided not to return the second kick-off, so they started on their 20. Their first pass play was a completion, but the receiver was absolutely blown-up by Kam Chancellor. I had been trying to inform Jeff all week just what a bad-ass Kam is, but that one hit said more than any words could actually convey. The receiver was knocked ten yards back, ass over tea-kettle – and you could smell the Bronco’s fear emanate throughout the stadium. A couple plays later and the Broncos were forced to punt.

Blessed with good field position yet again, the Seahawks made another march down the field. This time the big play goes to Doug Baldwin in a nearly 40 yard pass that leaves the Seahawks with first and goal inside of the 10. However, the Hawks were once again stopped short of the end-zone and had to settle for another field goal. Although we were flat out killing them in every aspect of the game, it was a bit disconcerting to only be up by 8 points at that time since we really should have been up 16-0.

Next Bronco’s possession, and the Seahawks Defense just continues to kick-ass. After stuffing their first two plays, Manning’s pass is tipped under pressure, and the ball flies right into the arms of Kam Chancellor!!! Woot! And, this time the Seahawks are able to take the ball down and score – BEASTMODE with SB XLVIII’s first touchdown!

Up 15-0, I’m feeling better, but I can’t help but wonder just how long we can continue to totally dominate one of the best offenses and best quarterbacks to ever play the game. Turns out, “most of the game” is the correct answer, but it wasn’t nearly that obvious watching the game. Down 15-0 Manning drives the Broncos into Seahawk territory. However, he gets hit as he throws the football, and Malcolm Smith, who started the season as a back-up linebacker, intercepts the football and runs it back 69 yards for a touchdown! The 12s go crazy, and Bronco fans can no longer even feign confidence.

Broncos get the ball back again and Manning is determined to score. Seattle’s defense has also been on the field for quite some time defending back to back Bronco possessions, and Manning marches the Broncos most of the way down the field. However, the Broncos are stopped just short of a first down inside the Seahawk 20 yard line, resulting in 4th and 2. “Damn, there goes the Seahawks’ shut-out I thought,” expecting the Broncos to kick the field goal to at least get some points on the board and make it a 3 possession game. However, the Broncos go for it on 4th down and the Seahawks defense once again comes through.’

I have to admit I was a bit ticked that the Hawks didn’t try to score since they got the ball back with a full minute to go in the half – I still wasn’t that confident that we had this game in the bag. Hell I had even told the Bronco fan sitting next to me that I wouldn’t be comfortable even if we were up by 40 with 5 minutes left to play in the game – funny as that almost occurred!

Half time and I got to pee, so I am thinking everyone is going to stream out of the seating area to the concession/restroom area asap. However, nobody moves! At all! What the hell? Apparently, everyone wants to watch the half-time show! Jeff and I have to excuse ourselves about a dozen times to make it to the stairs and exit the stadium. Neither of us had any desire to participate in Pepsi’s largest screen commercial (or whatever it was) that required us to wear goofy hats and stay in our seats at half-time.

Half-time is similar to before the game. Neither Jeff nor I want to miss any of the game, nor do we want to try to get by a dozen of angry fans (twice). Thus, we both severely limit alcohol (and even water) consumption. Funny how people saw some of the videos Jeff and I had been sending during the game and figured that we were both trashed. In reality, I had more water than beer but I hadn’t drank more than 3 or 4 of either one from about 3:00 p.m. until we got back to our hotel room, and Jeff drank even less than I did.

In any case, Jeff and I grabbed some food and watched Bruno Mars on the TVs inside the concession area. The sound was way off so Bruno looked pretty funny. We also saw a few of the stats, and I couldn’t stop smiling…

2nd half and we are back in our seats ready to weather the storm of any Bronco come-back. However, the Broncos and their fans are crushed as Percy Harvin returns the opening kick-off some 90 yards for a Seahawk touchdown. Down 29-0, many Bronco fans begin to file out of the stadium, including the two in the seats next to me (ostensibly because the little boy had to be in school the next day! LOL.). From that point on the game was fun to watch. The Seahawks were always ahead by at least 3 scores, I had room to breathe and I didn’t have to stand with my arms crossed anymore, yay!

The Seahawks, and the 12s, were relentless. Although Manning did throw a touch-down pass on the last play of the 3rd quarter, and even though they did get the 2 point conversion, it was too little too late and a 43-8 route ensued. Jermaine Kearse was unstoppable in breaking some 4 or 5 tackles on his way to a touchdown, and Doug Baldwin likewise refused to be denied a Super Bowl touchdown either. The Seahawks were unstoppable, kicking only 2 punts in the entire game, and the Broncos could just never really get it going. In reality, the Broncos knew that they had no hope of a comeback because they still had trouble even getting their plays called because the 12s in attendance were so loud – even when we were up by 30+ points – all of the way through the fourth quarter! None of us wanted to leave any doubt who the Super Bowl Champions were this time.

Speaking of which, I’m so proud of our fans! This is supposed to be a quiet game, one attended by people in suits and ties, those with too much money to act so undignified as to yell and cheer all game in the hopes of giving their team whatever advantage that they can. Well we are Seahawk fans and we don’t give a shit what anyone else thinks. We have gone decades cheering mediocre teams and we will be damned if we don’t try to give our team every possible advantage that we can – even if such an advantage is almost imperceptible. And, we bring it every play of every game, even when the outcome is already decided.

Jeff and I stayed in the stadium to watch the presentation of the Lombardi trophy, to see the different Seahawk players and their fans celebrate as tons and tons of confetti rained down, and all 4 video boards showed “Super Bowl Champion Seahawks.” In fact, we were required to stay in our seats because the NFL in its infinite wisdom had decided that this would be the first ever “mass transit Super Bowl.” Thus, even after Pete, Russell, and our team’s savior – owner Paul Allen, all lofted the Lombardi trophy in victory, we were told that the trains leading out of the stadium were very backed up. Thus, we took our time getting outside, and even stopped by to take pictures of each other hosting a copy of the Lombardi Trophy, which had been carved in ice! What a great time.

However, once Jeff and I finally headed out of the stadium, we were surprised to see a line to the trains that was thousands of people in length. We farted around the stores that remained open, and made a few purchases, but the line was as long or longer than when we had first seen it. People were even sitting down on the cold concrete just waiting for the lines to diminish. I couldn’t help but think to myself how lucky the NFL was. First, this was the Seahawks first ever victory, so it would have taken Armageddon to wipe the smiles off of our faces. Second, the weather had been remarkably warm. Although we had prepared for sub-zero temperatures, snow and rain, Jeff and I both wore only a single long-sleeve shirt and jersey to the game. And, throughout the game my head was wet with sweat (causing me to even remove my Seahawk hard-hat on several occasions). Nevertheless, it was starting to get cold now, and even beginning to sprinkle light rain. Jeff and I decided to look for alternative ways home, and we left out the back side of the stadium complex to where the cars had been parked hoping to find someone with a couple extra seats. Although most of the cars had gone, we did find another line to the trains that looked almost as long, but moved much, much faster than the line on the other side of the stadium. After an half an hour or so, we were on our way out of the Meadowlands.

Unfortunately, that didn’t mean we were home yet. There were many people looking for cabs at the train station nearest our hotel, and they were pretty much all gouging the fans. Although the ride to the stadium cost us only about $40, the ride home cost $90, and we had to walk a couple of blocks in the rain to get a taxi before they were ransacked by all of the other fans standing closer to the train station.

We ended up getting back to our hotel at about 1 a.m. We had a drink in the bar with a few other weary fans, then went up to our room. Jeff crashed out almost immediately, but I couldn’t take my eyes off of ESPN – which heaped praise of all kinds on the Seahawks. They claimed that now the rest of the NFL would have to sit up and take notice on the holistic way in which the Seahawks play football and take care of their players. Yoga, meditation, personal counseling – whatever it takes to maximize a player’s potential – a new age in the NFL if you will, all begun by the 2013 Seattle Seahawks! Wow. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched an entire Sports Center show only to be disappointed that the Seahawks game was not even mentioned – and now we were all they talked about for hours!!! Awesome!

I woke up about 6 a.m. and there was already a couple of inches of snow on the ground. I went back to bed and by 8:30 there was 4-6 inches of snow. I woke Jeff up so he could begin his long journey to VA and I could begin trying to find my way to New Haven, CT. I put on my Jersey, and wore it proudly the rest of the day in honor of the World Champion Seattle Seahawks! However, it was a little bit difficult trying to get around because I had pretty much lost my voice – it was reduced to a raspy whisper type of sound, and it stayed that way for the next two days. And, it was totally worth it, especially every time I heard the sportscasters confirm the affect the noise had on the Broncos, including total credit for the safety at the beginning of the game!

Now for the sad part. As I am finishing writing this, I am a bit dismayed. Last night I realized that I had left my laptop on the airplane from Newark to Denver. Bad enough to lose my laptop, but it also contained all of the pictures and video that I had taken with my camera at that game (including our pictures with the ice Lombardi!)!  I had downloaded them because I was going to inspect a crane on Friday and I wanted to be able to easily keep the work pictures separate from the game pictures. I am hopeful that someone will turn it in, and that the airlines will keep it, but it is a $2000 Mac Book Air, and I am pretty sure a lot of people wouldn’t turn it in. The airline says it may take one to two weeks before I hear anything, so please keep your fingers crossed for me! (And if you know someone who found one on an airplane tell them they can keep it if they just let me download all of my pictures and other stuff first!)

Go Hawks!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you for allowing us 12's who didn't make it to live vicariously through you. HUGE bummer about your laptop though! Hope you get it back.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Great post. Thank you for this. Good luck on retrieving the laptop.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Speaking of which, I’m so proud of our fans! This is supposed to be a quiet game, one attended by people in suits and ties, those with too much money to act so undignified as to yell and cheer all game in the hopes of giving their team whatever advantage that they can. Well we are Seahawk fans and we don’t give a shit what anyone else thinks. We have gone decades cheering mediocre teams and we will be damned if we don’t try to give our team every possible advantage that we can – even if such an advantage is almost imperceptible. And, we bring it every play of every game, even when the outcome is already decided.

Great read! Thanks, and this paragraph is my favorite part. You definitely made the safety happen.

I'll be doing all I can to send well wishes your way about your Laptop. Bummer for sure. Keep us posted and let us know when it is found…

Go Hawks!!

TheHawkDoc

Reaction score
Great post. Thanks for letting us in on your experience. I really hope that the laptop turns up. Go Hawks.

OP
OP
sam1313

sam1313

Reaction score
Great news it looks like they found my laptop!! Suppose to arrive next Thursday so ill post pics if I can

Thanks for the comments they are appreciated!

OP
OP
sam1313

sam1313

Reaction score
Great news it looks like they found my laptop!! Suppose to arrive next Thursday so ill post pics if I can

Thanks for the comments they are appreciated!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
And the magic season continues! Congrats!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
sam1313":26ahig8o said:
Great news it looks like they found my laptop!! Suppose to arrive next Thursday so ill post pics if I can..........
Wonderful! Probably found by a fellow 12. Looking forward to the pix man and congrats on the experience of a lifetime. Enjoyable read for sure.