Mingo Signed

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/974781537777537024[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/974784529197142016[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/974784837734281216[/tweet]

hawknation2018

Reaction score
SLB and LEO 3rd down pass rusher are two areas of the team that already look better on paper than they did last season, because of the addition of Mingo. He has the athleticism to set the edge, drop in coverage, or rush the passer.

I think the defense will have a chance to be pretty damn good again. The only glaring weakness is CB, mainly because they have not yet re-signed Byron Maxwell.

LDE Frank Clark, Malik McDowell (if cleared)
LDT Jarran Reed, Shamar Stephen
RDT Tom Johnson, Nazair Jones
RDE Dion Jordan, Marcus Smith
SLB Barkevious Mingo
MLB Bobby Wagner
WLB K.J. Wright
LCB Byron Maxwell (hasn't been re-signed yet)
RCB Shaquill Griffin, Neiko Thorpe
NCB Justin Coleman, DeAndre Elliott
SS Bradley McDougald, Mo Alexander
FS Earl Thomas, Tedric Thompson

LB depth seems like an area they will want to target in the draft (and undrafted free agency).

vin.couve12

Reaction score
From ESPN:

"In an interview with 710 ESPN Seattle, Seahawks general manager John Schneider says outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo was "pretty much" the team's No. 1 priority among outside free agents. Mingo projects as Seattle's starting strong-side linebacker in base packages and an edge rusher on passing downs. Schneider said Mingo will rush the passer more than he's been asked to by his previous teams: "He's such a good athlete, people have been putting him in space and letting him run around and stuff instead of letting him put his hand on the ground as much as we're going to let him do."

This doesn't surprise me. Some time back, I talked about the impact of the loss of Kam Chancellor in how he allowed the team to not have to worry about having a real SLB because he could play both as an impact edge setter, while also going robber coverage and playing deep. He was a player that could play multiple positions where you only needed to pay for him vs paying two players to try and be as good as him at either position.

McDougald was a target in the running game in playing Kam's role when he was up in the box. Yes, McDougald had a lot of tackles in some games, but because he had a lot of opportunity. He was easy for OL, TEs, and even backs to move him. Teams repeatedly targetted him in off tackle plays. Now that we actually have a legitimate SLB, that shouldn't be as much of a problem. I still like McDougald better at FS vs SS, but some of those concerns are now negated to an extent.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This player could well be the sleeper UFA added to the team. He seems well suited to fill a Bruce Irvin role or become a replacement for Avril.

sutz

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3v7g85ms said:
From ESPN:

"In an interview with 710 ESPN Seattle, Seahawks general manager John Schneider says outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo was "pretty much" the team's No. 1 priority among outside free agents. Mingo projects as Seattle's starting strong-side linebacker in base packages and an edge rusher on passing downs. Schneider said Mingo will rush the passer more than he's been asked to by his previous teams: "He's such a good athlete, people have been putting him in space and letting him run around and stuff instead of letting him put his hand on the ground as much as we're going to let him do."

This doesn't surprise me. Some time back, I talked about the impact of the loss of Kam Chancellor in how he allowed the team to not have to worry about having a real SLB because he could play both as an impact edge setter, while also going robber coverage and playing deep. He was a player that could play multiple positions where you only needed to pay for him vs paying two players to try and be as good as him at either position.

McDougald was a target in the running game in playing Kam's role when he was up in the box. Yes, McDougald had a lot of tackles in some games, but because he had a lot of opportunity. He was easy for OL, TEs, and even backs to move him. Teams repeatedly targetted him in off tackle plays. Now that we actually have a legitimate SLB, that shouldn't be as much of a problem. I still like McDougald better at FS vs SS, but some of those concerns are now negated to an extent.
Sounds a bit like a Chad Brown redux. SLB/RDE type guy. (Yeah, I'm kinda old school ;) )

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Fade":3utlr2ir said:
A lot of ignorant posts in this thread, disappointing to see.

This is an excellent signing. If this were Bruce Irvin y'all would be doing cartwheels. Mingo is far better than Bruce at this point.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/964609357638926339[/tweet]

Well....you are correct about one thing. Lots of clueless posts around here.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Fade":2nmztxx5 said:
A lot of ignorant posts in this thread, disappointing to see.

This is an excellent signing. If this were Bruce Irvin y'all would be doing cartwheels. Mingo is far better than Bruce at this point.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/964609357638926339[/tweet]

Yeah, it's crazy! However, they are vacuous posts, zero substance or information, just a poorly fabricated opinion.

Belicheck letting him go means nothing. If you upset him, noi matter how much talent you have (except for Brady), then you're gone.

Recently when he signed Pat Chung back to the Patriots he admitted that when he first drafted him, that he was using him wrong. Then he saw Pat play for another team, successfully, so brought him back. So using Belicheck as a barometer of a player's success or talent is meaningless.

Mingo has physical talent, and just needs to be put in situations where he can succeed. Pete is good at this on Defense, but poor at it on Offense.

Just look at Kam Chancellor. If Kam had gone to any other team, it would have taken him longer to get on the field and get his success. The same with Byron Maxwell. Play used him to the best of his abilities, which is why BMax wanted to come back here.

When Byron was in Philly, he was asked about his new team (Chip Kelly), and said "Can I give this money back? I hate it here."

I'm excited about Mingo's physical talent, and Pete's ability to get the most out of him.

Just watch, he and Dion Jordan will play well this year and, it will be because they are given the opportunity to play fast and not have to think about what they're doing.

And THAT, imho, is the biggest reason players get drafted high, but fail to perform up to expectations in the NFL. College football is a much simpler game, with less brain, and more brawn. The NFL playbook will give the back problems, not to mention, stress headaches. "see ball, hit ball."

And as far as Sheldon goes, my guess is he played out of position sometimes, and that his value could be recouped with a 3rd round compensatory pick.

Latest posts