Mike Solari is back as Offensive Line Coach

HawkFan72

Reaction score
He's better than Cable. He'll run a power zone blocking system instead of just a regular zone blocking system. He also has a better eye for talent, as he was a part of building come good O-lines at his other stops. Of the Norton, Schottenheimer, and Solari hires, this one is the one I am most optimistic about.

sdog1981

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3ocjrety said:
sdog1981":3ocjrety said:
hawknation2018":3ocjrety said:
sdog1981":3ocjrety said:
Track record of success? Having his lines ranking 23rd or lower in pass pro?

Where are you getting this from?

It was on the first page of this very topic. Did you read the other posts? One of the other posters posted a chart of all his lines and how poor they are.

You decided to delete this part of my quote, so I will post it here for you to give it a chance to sink in. :2thumbs:

"

Go look at the chart posted on the first page sport.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
sdog1981":3j1kwsf4 said:
hawknation2018":3j1kwsf4 said:
sdog1981":3j1kwsf4 said:
hawknation2018":3j1kwsf4 said:
Where are you getting this from?

It was on the first page of this very topic. Did you read the other posts? One of the other posters posted a chart of all his lines and how poor they are.

You decided to delete this part of my quote, so I will post it here for you to give it a chance to sink in. :2thumbs:

"

#2 in pass pro in 2016.
#10 in pass pro in 2017.

Sport.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2018":32jz5gdj said:
sdog1981":32jz5gdj said:
hawknation2018":32jz5gdj said:
sdog1981":32jz5gdj said:

"

#2 in pass pro in 2016.
#10 in pass pro in 2017.

Sport.
\

Very interesting. Those very same FO rankings are the ones you chose to minimize and discredit when I presented them on Cable just a few months ago. :roll:

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":2wbpokxy said:
hawknation2018":2wbpokxy said:
sdog1981":2wbpokxy said:
hawknation2018":2wbpokxy said:

"

#2 in pass pro in 2016.
#10 in pass pro in 2017.

Sport.
\

Very interesting. Those very same FO rankings are the ones you chose to minimize and discredit when I presented them on Cable just a few months ago. :roll:

I don't remember that, at all. Do you have a link or quote to support that assertion?

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2c2kg623 said:
Seymour":2c2kg623 said:
hawknation2018":2c2kg623 said:
sdog1981":2c2kg623 said:

#2 in pass pro in 2016.
#10 in pass pro in 2017.

Sport.
\

I don't remember that, at all. Do you have a link or quote to support that assertion?

Nope, you asked in a PM and I gave you the links and numbers, and you know it.

sdog1981

Reaction score
hawknation2018":rnj21igg said:
sdog1981":rnj21igg said:
hawknation2018":rnj21igg said:
sdog1981":rnj21igg said:

"

#2 in pass pro in 2016.
#10 in pass pro in 2017.

Sport.

So you picked out 2 data points from a chart that shows 20 data points? Go look at the chart on the first page of this topic, it is 20 posts down. Then after looking at those data points then formulate a response, then we can continue to have a conversation with the same numbers.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":290qlunk said:
hawknation2018":290qlunk said:
Seymour":290qlunk said:
hawknation2018":290qlunk said:
#2 in pass pro in 2016.
#10 in pass pro in 2017.

Sport.
\

Nope, you asked in a PM and I gave you the links and numbers, and you know it.

I have no clue what you are talking about. But I give you permission to re-post any PM of mine "minimizing and discrediting [the FO rankings]."

hawknation2018

Reaction score
sdog1981":22hfph80 said:
hawknation2018":22hfph80 said:
#2 in pass pro in 2016.
#10 in pass pro in 2017.

Sport.

So you picked out 2 data points from a chart that shows 20 data points? Go look at the chart on the first page of this topic, it is 20 posts down. Then after looking at those data points then formulate a response, then we can continue to have a conversation with the same numbers.

You falsely claimed Solari's lines "ranked 23rd or lower in pass pro." And I proved that statement to be a fabrication.

End of discussion.

Jville

Reaction score
Returning to the topic, it's a pleasant surprise to see the 63 year old Mike Solari return to Seattle. I thought loosing Solari after the 2009 season was a disappoint. Although CBA practice limitations remains the #1 obstacle, Solari brings all the coaching tools to the offensive line and some background with tight ends. It's good to see the retention of Pat Ruel. Lemuel Jeanpierre remains on the coaching roster as well.

I would welcome a KC Chiefs style running attack from the 90s.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2018":muxhkzzo said:
Popeyejones":muxhkzzo said:
hawknation2018":muxhkzzo said:
Anyone who actually watched those Whiner offensive lines knows how good they were upfront with Solari as coach.

Solari could very well be a great hire for the Hawks, but this is literally the first time I've seen anyone argue that their run game was good during that stretch because Solari was the O-line coach. I think that was pretty clearly much more of a right-place-right-time situation for him.

Instead, what gets rightly talked about to explain those years for the 9ers are four other factors:

1) An OC/Run game Coordinator in Greg Roman who dramatically improved the running attacks at all three of his NFL stops regardless of who he was surrounded by (took the 9ers to #1, then took the Bills to #1, and last year just took the Ravens from #28 to #11).

2) A future Hall of Fame running back, running behind...

3) a very good offensive line (three first round picks, four pro-bowlers)

4) A running QB who inflated the rushing stats for that team even more.

Again, none of this is knock on Solari, and he was definitely there for those years, but he really has never been the story of the 9ers rushing attack over those years. To attribute that to Solari you have to ignore that Roman has done that everywhere, and the talent that really infused that group.

So the offensive line coach deserves NO CREDIT for the performance of the offensive line? :roll:

So. Much. Salt.

No, no salt at all, and I didn't even say what you're claiming I said.

I said that this is the first time I've ever seen someone credit Solari for the 9ers run game during that period, and instead listed off the factors that are usually credited.

To wall off hurt feelings over the fact of it all I also started my post by saying Solari very well could be a good hire for the Hawks, and ended my post by saying that the credit getting attributed to other places isn't a knock on him either.

If 48 hours ago before he was announced as the Hawks new O-line coach you were attributing that success to Solari then more power to you, but I've simply just never seen that from you or anyone else (and I think I would have, given the team I follow). IIRC 9ers fans, beat writers, and so on didn't complain about him, but never really thought he was a major part of the story either.

Brett

Reaction score
hawknation2018":23neigsn said:
This is kind of cool.

Pete Carroll and Mike Solari both worked at assistant coaches under Head Coach George Seifert with the 49ers in '95 and '96, while Ken Norton Jr. was a first team All-Pro MLB.

5rfkFk5

They also won a Super Bowl in 95' .

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Brett":2fg4l5ot said:
hawknation2018":2fg4l5ot said:
This is kind of cool.

Pete Carroll and Mike Solari both worked at assistant coaches under Head Coach George Seifert with the 49ers in '95 and '96, while Ken Norton Jr. was a first team All-Pro MLB.

5rfkFk5

They also won a Super Bowl in 95' .

That was the '94 season, the year before Carroll became DC. Solari was on the staff for that Super Bowl, however.

toffee

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":23i16q9d said:
Nah. I actually this is a fairly solid hire. Solari's been around the block. Think about it -- the dude's been coaching NFL offensive lines since 1981 (37 years). He's steeped in both man and zone blocking principles. He's coached offensive lines that have paved the way for guys like Herschel Walker in Dallas ... Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson in Kansas City ... and Frank Gore with the 49ers.

He knows and has worked with Carroll and with Schottenheimer's dad, so there is a familiarity there in knowing exactly what it is those guys are looking for. Again, chemistry and being on the same page I think goes a long ways.

First gut reaction -- again, I like this hire. We'll see once things really get going, but on the surface, I like the hire of Solari. Definitely better than Cable IMO.

This!!!

I am actually excited by this hire and eagerly await Solari's opinions and adjustments to our awful OL,

xgeoff

Reaction score
LolaRox":3a2yvfbc said:
Serious question - wasn't the Giants o-line trash too?

This is what I was thinking. I was really excited about this hire and all the good things I was hearing until I found out he was the Giants OLine coach for the last two years. And they have been DREADFUL!

Most analysts are blaming the Giants OLine as the main reason that Eli Manning struggled this year. And he ran a zone block scheme with the Giants that was criticized for having the RB's hit before they reached the line of scrimmage. My God, is this Tom Cable 2.0?

I am concerned, but trying to be cautiously optimistic.

Seymour

Reaction score
xgeoff":3qp9fxy9 said:
LolaRox":3qp9fxy9 said:
Serious question - wasn't the Giants o-line trash too?

This is what I was thinking. I was really excited about this hire and all the good things I was hearing until I found out he was the Giants OLine coach for the last two years. And they have been DREADFUL!

Most analysts are blaming the Giants OLine as the main reason that Eli Manning struggled this year. And he ran a zone block scheme with the Giants that was criticized for having the RB's hit before they reached the line of scrimmage. My God, is this Tom Cable 2.0?

I am concerned, but trying to be cautiously optimistic.

The grades disagree with your findings. Eli had other issues like a depleted WR corps (and he's Eli). Look at pass protection in 2016-2017 when Solari arrived. Cable's best effort was #22 in pass protection in 10 years, and usually more like bottom 5.

Trust me, this guy is better than Cable. Holmgren and Walter Jones also agree with that.

Remain calm.....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hwkbgr/status/953042413374885888[/tweet]

Latest posts