Mike Solari is back as Offensive Line Coach

sdog1981

Reaction score
hawknation2018":133lwp0c said:
Not sure if they were "buddies," but there is a track record of success. When you have worked with someone, it gives you more insight into their skill level.

Track record of success? Having his lines ranking 23rd or lower in pass pro?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I suppose he won't be worse than Cable. Which I guess means that our standards are really low. Like hey, if we're ranked 20th instead of dead last, Great!!

I'm literally in the mode of praying for success. I've never felt this uncertain about the team in recent years. Hope these hires are the right ones

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":3p0xrtrn said:
Hawkscanner":3p0xrtrn said:
Nah. I actually this is a fairly solid hire. Solari's been around the block. Think about it -- the dude's been coaching NFL offensive lines since 1981 (37 years). He's steeped in both man and zone blocking principles. He's coached offensive lines that have paved the way for guys like Herschel Walker in Dallas ... Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson in Kansas City ... and Frank Gore with the 49ers.

He knows and has worked with Carroll and with Schottenheimer's dad, so there is a familiarity there in knowing exactly what it is those guys are looking for. Again, chemistry and being on the same page I think goes a long ways.

First gut reaction -- again, I like this hire. We'll see once things really get going, but on the surface, I like the hire of Solari. Definitely better than Cable IMO.

This may be the most balanced explanation I've seen anywhere.

Dude, yesterday I made the comment (in light of what Ray Roberts said) that what this team REALLY needs ... is to bring back a bit of what it had when Howard Mudd was coaching offensive line. In Solari, I think the Hawks honestly may have recaptured a bit of that. He KNOWS NFL Offensive Line Principles, having been around some of the very best in the game. The dude's coached some of the best linemen in the game (including Anthony Munoz). Remember, what was it that Jim Mora wanted? What was it that he valued? He wanted "dirt bags". He wanted offensive linemen who were "dirt bags", that had that real nasty quality to them. Solari was the guy Mora hand picked as Offensive Line coach ... AND as Danny O'Neil noted, Solari was one of the coaches that Carroll tried to retain. On the surface, I like this hire. I like it A LOT!

hawknation2018

Reaction score
sdog1981":2jpi3tbm said:
hawknation2018":2jpi3tbm said:
Not sure if they were "buddies," but there is a track record of success. When you have worked with someone, it gives you more insight into their skill level.

Where are you getting this from? Solari has coached many great offensive lines over the years (Chiefs, 49ers, etc.). His most recent offensive lines with the Giants were talent deficient but still ranked in the Top 10 in pass protection (#2 DVOA in 2016, #10 DVOA in 2017).

chris98251

Reaction score
Well like most things it's associations, looking at the hiring if this was a family in the Ozarks we would be saying they married their sister or brother. These guys all have ties going back a long way and Solari was on Brians dads staff.

King Dog

Reaction score
MrThortan":30bg4ysl said:
Don't know much about him but like that the hired a rugged old line coach to get these whipper snappers into shape. At 62, I wonder if he still has the fire in him though. There is a lot of work that needs to be done this off season. More excited about this hire than Schotti though. The more coaches that get signed, the more excited I am about next season. Win or lose, I like that there is change happening.

I would say to be still coaching at 62 he still has tons of fire. Unless he's a terrible steward of his money, there's no way he couldn't retire from coaching in the NFL after 30+ years. He must love what he's doing.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1mebchyw said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1mebchyw said:
Hawkscanner":1mebchyw said:
Nah. I actually this is a fairly solid hire. Solari's been around the block. Think about it -- the dude's been coaching NFL offensive lines since 1981 (37 years). He's steeped in both man and zone blocking principles. He's coached offensive lines that have paved the way for guys like Herschel Walker in Dallas ... Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson in Kansas City ... and Frank Gore with the 49ers.

He knows and has worked with Carroll and with Schottenheimer's dad, so there is a familiarity there in knowing exactly what it is those guys are looking for. Again, chemistry and being on the same page I think goes a long ways.

First gut reaction -- again, I like this hire. We'll see once things really get going, but on the surface, I like the hire of Solari. Definitely better than Cable IMO.

This may be the most balanced explanation I've seen anywhere.

Dude, yesterday I made the comment (in light of what Ray Roberts said) that what this team REALLY needs ... is to bring back a bit of what it had when Howard Mudd was coaching offensive line. In Solari, I think the Hawks honestly may have recaptured a bit of that. He KNOWS NFL Offensive Line Principles, having been around some of the very best in the game. The dude's coached some of the best linemen in the game (including Anthony Munoz). Remember, what was it that Jim Mora wanted? What was it that he valued? He wanted "dirt bags". He wanted offensive linemen who were "dirt bags", that had that real nasty quality to them. Solari was the guy Mora hand picked as Offensive Line coach ... AND as Danny O'Neil noted, Solari was one of the coaches that Carroll tried to retain. On the surface, I like this hire. I like it A LOT!

It makes a lot of sense. It wouldn't surprise me to see a hefty roster churn either.

Loud & Proud

Reaction score
hawknation2018":nkq04h7d said:
Solari can coach both man and zone blocking, which is great. I want the line to be fundamentally sound, tough, and diverse!

Feel the same way!! :ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

original poster

Reaction score
Fantastic hire on the surface of it.

I believe he can teach both man and zone blocking. Be interesting to see what kind of blocking they go with, I'd say this line is more suited to man.

I cannot believe it is only January, I want the 2018 season now.

JGreen79

Reaction score
As a comparison I looked up offensive ranks and sack percentage of both Cable and Solari throughout their entire careers.
2017's league average for sack percentage is 6.4%.

Solari's lines in his 18 years as an NFL O-Line coach have had a sack percentage above 6.4% 7 times times (Every year in SF, 2001 with KC, and 2008 with Sea).

Cable's lines in his 10 years as an NFL O-line coach have had a sack percentage above 6.4% all ten years.

Based on those numbers I'd say it's and upgrade.

View attachment Solari vs Cable.xlsx

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
JGreen79":269ythit said:
As a comparison I looked up offensive ranks and sack percentage of both Cable and Solari throughout their entire careers.
2017's league average for sack percentage is 6.4%.

Solari's lines in his 18 years as an NFL O-Line coach have had a sack percentage above 6.4% 7 times times (Every year in SF, 2001 with KC, and 2008 with Sea).

Cable's lines in his 10 years as an NFL O-line coach have had a sack percentage above 6.4% all ten years.

Based on those numbers I'd say it's and upgrade.

And Cable is an unstable douche bag.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2018":38651ep2 said:
Anyone who actually watched those Whiner offensive lines knows how good they were upfront with Solari as coach.

Solari could very well be a great hire for the Hawks, but this is literally the first time I've seen anyone argue that their run game was good during that stretch because Solari was the O-line coach. I think that was pretty clearly much more of a right-place-right-time situation for him.

Instead, what gets rightly talked about to explain those years for the 9ers are four other factors:

1) An OC/Run game Coordinator in Greg Roman who dramatically improved the running attacks at all three of his NFL stops regardless of who he was surrounded by (took the 9ers to #1, then took the Bills to #1, and last year just took the Ravens from #28 to #11).

2) A future Hall of Fame running back, running behind...

3) a very good offensive line (three first round picks, four pro-bowlers)

4) A running QB who inflated the rushing stats for that team even more.

Again, none of this is knock on Solari, and he was definitely there for those years, but he really has never been the story of the 9ers rushing attack over those years. To attribute that to Solari you have to ignore that Roman has done that everywhere, and the talent that really infused that group.

sdog1981

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1a1n58e4 said:
sdog1981":1a1n58e4 said:
hawknation2018":1a1n58e4 said:

Where are you getting this from?

It was on the first page of this very topic. Did you read the other posts? One of the other posters posted a chart of all his lines and how poor they are.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Watching this line be historically bad, listening to Roberts talk about how Cable coaches these guys, I am absolutely thrilled by this hire. Cable was lost after the cut block rule change and floundering. I cant wait to see the changes.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'm good with this hire from what I've gathered. I heard Bell on 950 this morning saying the blocking scheme absolutely will change. He uses more zone concepts combined with man power blocking and prefers big mauler guards on the interior. That could mean the end of Ifedi (moving to guard) since he has more length and has a tough time with short power DT's. Ifedi is a bit of a tweener, so we'll see what happens with him. Pocic is another that doesn't quite fit that criteria, but if he adds the weight may be able to get there. Time will tell, but finding guards is easier than tackles and possibly Fant holds the RT position with some improvement over Ifedi.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Saw on the news this morning, Walter Jones gave a big thumbs up to Solari.

Solari was here the last 2 years of Walt's career. '08-'09

:2thumbs:

hawknation2018

Reaction score
sdog1981":1yyadte0 said:
hawknation2018":1yyadte0 said:
sdog1981":1yyadte0 said:
hawknation2018":1yyadte0 said:

Where are you getting this from?

It was on the first page of this very topic. Did you read the other posts? One of the other posters posted a chart of all his lines and how poor they are.

You decided to delete this part of my quote, so I will post it here for you to give it a chance to sink in. :2thumbs:

"Solari has coached many great offensive lines over the years (Chiefs, 49ers, etc.). His most recent offensive lines with the Giants were talent deficient but still ranked in the Top 10 in pass protection (#2 DVOA in 2016, #10 DVOA in 2017)."

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
So does Solari take Cable’s other title as Asst. HC or will that go to Norton?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1mo0rvyf said:
hawknation2018":1mo0rvyf said:
Anyone who actually watched those Whiner offensive lines knows how good they were upfront with Solari as coach.

Solari could very well be a great hire for the Hawks, but this is literally the first time I've seen anyone argue that their run game was good during that stretch because Solari was the O-line coach. I think that was pretty clearly much more of a right-place-right-time situation for him.

Instead, what gets rightly talked about to explain those years for the 9ers are four other factors:

1) An OC/Run game Coordinator in Greg Roman who dramatically improved the running attacks at all three of his NFL stops regardless of who he was surrounded by (took the 9ers to #1, then took the Bills to #1, and last year just took the Ravens from #28 to #11).

2) A future Hall of Fame running back, running behind...

3) a very good offensive line (three first round picks, four pro-bowlers)

4) A running QB who inflated the rushing stats for that team even more.

Again, none of this is knock on Solari, and he was definitely there for those years, but he really has never been the story of the 9ers rushing attack over those years. To attribute that to Solari you have to ignore that Roman has done that everywhere, and the talent that really infused that group.

So the offensive line coach deserves NO CREDIT for the performance of the offensive line? :roll:

So. Much. Salt.