Michael's lack of playing time

King Dog

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3rib2bs3 said:
Bigpumpkin":3rib2bs3 said:
Basis4day":3rib2bs3 said:
Whenever asked, Pete always says it is due to pass protection and the fact that you don't want to take Lynch off the field. They like Turbin's blocking better. RB in the Seahawks system is about more than running the ball in a straight line. It really is.

Why did they Draft him then? Especially a first pick?
What do you mean?

Is this the part where you show him how smart you are by telling him Michael was a 2nd round pick?

Chapman

Reaction score
Why the Michaels hate?
This is the same site who supposedly had insider info that he would never see the field last year.

two dog

Reaction score
For whatever reason, at bottom the coaching staff seems to have lost faith
in Michael (if they ever had faith in him). If they did they have never shown it.

I really wanted them to draft David Cobb this year. The greater need for a kick
runner and, especially, offensive linemen made that an impossibility.
You have to honor your priorities.

Damn shame though if Michael never fulfills his potential here.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Northhawk":2yx8xjch said:
According to Myers, Christine Michael's lack of playing time is a result of his inability to switch hands when carrying the ball to the left. Opposing teams know this and key in on his right arm to strip the ball away.

"It isn’t that Michael isn’t sloppy with the football either. His technique is fairly sound as long as the ball is in his right hand. The problem is that the ball is always in his right hand, no matter the direction he’s running or where on the field he is."

Not sure if true but would make sense if it is.

http://www.fanize.com/p/TGGZRFZjMd
Its simple then, Michael just needs to channel his inner Derek Zoolander and learn to go to his left. :sarcasm_off:

Hawks46

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":2tadzbwx said:
I doubt that's true. If it is, it is an incredibly stupid thing to not play him for. In fact, I've had coaches who wanted you to never or hardly ever change hands with the ball. Also, if I can remember correctly, there was a prominent running back in the NFL (maybe LT? not sure) who never switched hands.

Seriously ? That's terrible coaching. That's basic RB 101. Rule #1. HOLD ONTO THE BALL. Period.

What can be worse than losing a fumble? Maybe getting your QB blown up, and he loses a fumble, but that's about it (and it's also covered in the pass pro comments about Michael as well).

Every coach at every level I've played has coached RB's to switch the ball to the outside (sideline) hand. You shield the ball with your body, and if it does get stripped, it has a better chance of going out of bounds.

It might also explain why they didn't give him any punt return opportunities last year, even though Walters was pretty bad at it. They gave Michael reps in TC at the position. He's practiced it. He was a kick off returner in college. And, yup, he fumbled a kick off in the preseason.

Yea, and tipping off plays was pretty bad too. It seems like he might have an attitude problem. A "me" issue, and that doesn't seem to go over well on this team.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
chris98251":1nuiozps said:
Our balls are to firm and he may have smallish hands.

Just deflate a little, win a SB, & pay the consequences. :stirthepot:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
King Dog":fnx0ycf4 said:
Hawkfan77":fnx0ycf4 said:
Bigpumpkin":fnx0ycf4 said:
Basis4day":fnx0ycf4 said:
Whenever asked, Pete always says it is due to pass protection and the fact that you don't want to take Lynch off the field. They like Turbin's blocking better. RB in the Seahawks system is about more than running the ball in a straight line. It really is.

Why did they Draft him then? Especially a first pick?
What do you mean?

Is this the part where you show him how smart you are by telling him Michael was a 2nd round pick?
He never said first round so not really sure what you're getting at :roll: You should really pay closer attention to what people write

original poster

Reaction score
If Lynch retired tomorrow I'd have no problem with Turbin being the starter.

If Michael was the starter I'd be very nervous.

peppersjap

Reaction score
If Lynch retired now I think Michael would be the guy. The biggest thing keeping Michael off the field is Marshawn and Turbin does fill that back up roll really well. I still think the Michael pick was a solid one because I really didn't think we would still have Lynch at this point but so glad we do.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Compared to other RBs drafted this year, where would you place him?
To me, Michael has played so little, I would still look at him as a "rookie". Which means, his body hasn't taken the pounding yet that RBs take. Bad thing though, we are paying him quite well ... to do nothing and he might bail out, when he becomes a FA.
He needs more work this year, though ... Hopefully he will get plenty.

themunn

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":6i61yzap said:
I doubt that's true. If it is, it is an incredibly stupid thing to not play him for. In fact, I've had coaches who wanted you to never or hardly ever change hands with the ball. Also, if I can remember correctly, there was a prominent running back in the NFL (maybe LT? not sure) who never switched hands.

There's a difference between switching hands and simply tucking it to the left when received. Is the run going to the left? Then put the ball in your left. Is it going right? Then put the ball in your right. It's simple.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2ye1bwrh said:
Compared to other RBs drafted this year, where would you place him?
To me, Michael has played so little, I would still look at him as a "rookie". Which means, his body hasn't taken the pounding yet that RBs take. Bad thing though, we are paying him quite well ... to do nothing and he might bail out, when he becomes a FA.
He needs more work this year, though ... Hopefully he will get plenty.

I have wondered of there is a bit of saving him for when we really need him, keeping some low miles on him. Till Marshawn is done I just do not think he will get much opportunity since Turbin is most likely the better 3rd back right now. So in our sysem is really is ML, sprinkled with a little Turbo and maybe, just maybe CM is just that guy they are putting time into and prepping. He has obviously been good enough to stick on the team. We know this FO is not shy about moving on if they need to.

Vetamur

Reaction score
We can dodge around and make excuses and pretend all we want, but essentially Michael is a bust. 2nd round pick who cant get in the game, for whatever the real reason is.

Its not because they dont want to take Lynch out...2 games he missed the entire first quarter, so Turbin started and got the carries.

Hes so bad they cant even pretend in negotiations with Lynch that going with Michael is an option. The drop off to Turbin-Michael would have been so much they had to bribe Lynch to come back despite his fairly new contract. (for contrast, see Bennett whom Carroll LAUGHS about what when discussing him want more money).

Its ok.... no one is perfect.. you dont draft a RB in the 2nd round to have him, even at the end of his second year, not be able to start if there is trouble with Lynch.

Ive made my peace with it and kind of wish they would trade him for a 7th to someone whose system or coach fits him better, and take a chance on an UDFA..running back is the position that transitions the easiest from college in most cases.

crosfam

Reaction score
I don't know why he was not a consideration for PR/KR. Seems to have the talent for that role. I think we will see him leave this training camp via cheap trade (ATL or JAC probably) or release this preseason if we don't have plans for him.

I think Turbin has been improving every year - with his 2nd contract coming up he will take off. I think he is better than Forsett, who is starting in Baltimore. Probably Turbin and rookie carrying the load after this next season - as Lynch will walk off into the sunset after he is unjustly passed over as SB50 MVP.

titan3131

Reaction score
Whos a great player that would have made sense in the 2013 draft instead of cmike.

after looking through the entire draft the only player I would've wanted was Tyrann Mathieu.

I really think that the 2013 draft is one of the worst draft classes of recent years.

themunn

Reaction score
titan3131":2bgsoegu said:
Whos a great player that would have made sense in the 2013 draft instead of cmike.

after looking through the entire draft the only player I would've wanted was Tyrann Mathieu.

I really think that the 2013 draft is one of the worst draft classes of recent years.

Would have been nice if the Packers hadn't selected Lacy immediately before us
OR if we'd taken Travis Kelce (selected immediately after us).

After that, I agree - there aren't many decent 3rd round players - Mathieu and Keenan Allen are the only two I'd be keen an

Hawknballs

Reaction score
If the real reason he's not playing much is because he can't carry the ball in one of his arms as an NFL running back then he needs to be cut. Immediately.

justafan

Reaction score
Usually when someone with that much talent doesnt play it boils down to whats between the ears.He has to want to take the coaching, he has to want to block, he has to want to do the things a player like Turbin does to get any playing time he can.

I think he wants a pay check and not do what it takes.He is getting exactly the playing time he has earned.

chet380

Reaction score
Apart from the obvious observations about how hard it is to get ML off the field, the rest of these speculations are just so much bull pucky -- circumstances are such that this kid has never had a true chance to prove himself.

Latest posts